October 2015 Moms

NICU mom Birth Announcement, please read

I've struggled writing this for the last month, I've written, deleted, written, edited, deleted, about four times. I've come to the conclusion that no gory details about the labor matter, no hostile "the doctor/the nurse didn't do this right", no "Im so mad because my PA forgot this", none of that actually matters. What matters is this, I had a premature baby.
Isaac was born at 34 weeks on September 21st, 2015. Knowing that he would be early and there wasn't an option to prolong the delivery, we were transferred to a state hospital that specializes in premies. When Isaac was born I was allowed to see him for one minute, I was incapable of touching him, but i did see him, say "he's perfect" and kiss him on the forehead. It wasn't until hours later when they finally allowed me to make it up to the NiCU that my fiancé told me to prepare myself. Prepare myself? I saw him already. He's perfect. Along with being perfect, he was also on a ventilator, an IV, three monitors and other various terrifying looking medical equipment. There was never a single doubt in my mind that Isaac wasn't going to make it. But, that doesn't take away the terrifying and helpless feeling that I felt when seeing him.
It took 23 hours and 5 minutes to have Isaac.
It took five days (the longest days of my existence) to hold Isaac.
It took seven days to feed Isaac.
It took (cross your fingers because we're not discharged quite yet) one month, one week and three days to bring Isaac home.
What I've learned in this experience is that I (and you reading this) have so much more patience, strength, respect and that beyond insane love feeling (that one is smacked in the face with after realizing THAT baby, is YOUR baby) that you could even realize.
I met moms in the NICU that told me their babies were born in July and as of mid October, still haven't held them. I met babies that were born at 26 weeks. I met mothers that gave birth in August and weren't expecting their little ones home until Christmas. I will never forget about them or their babies and I'll never stop praying for premie and NICU babies, their families and those amazing nurses. If any of you have been through this, or haven't! I wish you the absolute best luck and love and prayers and wishes in the world. Please remember that you have more strength in you then you realize. Enjoy and appreciate every second that you have your baby to hold, feed, kiss and cuddle.

Re: NICU mom Birth Announcement, please read

• I'm so excited you got to bring him home! Congratulations on graduating from the NICU. My close friend had her LO early as well, NICU parents and children and tough as nails. Congratulations, mom!
  • I had this fear when I went into labor at 35 weeks and 4 days. By some miracle my little girl didn't need to go to the NICU, but every time I hear about it I know we were so close to that reality. Praying for you and your son! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've struggled writing this for the last month, I've written, deleted, written, edited, deleted, about four times. I've come to the conclusion that no gory details about the labor matter, no hostile "the doctor/the nurse didn't do this right", no "Im so mad because my PA forgot this", none of that actually matters. What matters is this, I had a premature baby.
    Isaac was born at 34 weeks on September 21st, 2015. Knowing that he would be early and there wasn't an option to prolong the delivery, we were transferred to a state hospital that specializes in premies. When Isaac was born I was allowed to see him for one minute, I was incapable of touching him, but i did see him, say "he's perfect" and kiss him on the forehead. It wasn't until hours later when they finally allowed me to make it up to the NiCU that my fiancé told me to prepare myself. Prepare myself? I saw him already. He's perfect. Along with being perfect, he was also on a ventilator, an IV, three monitors and other various terrifying looking medical equipment. There was never a single doubt in my mind that Isaac wasn't going to make it. But, that doesn't take away the terrifying and helpless feeling that I felt when seeing him.
    It took 23 hours and 5 minutes to have Isaac.
    It took five days (the longest days of my existence) to hold Isaac.
    It took seven days to feed Isaac.
    It took (cross your fingers because we're not discharged quite yet) one month, one week and three days to bring Isaac home.
    What I've learned in this experience is that I (and you reading this) have so much more patience, strength, respect and that beyond insane love feeling (that one is smacked in the face with after realizing THAT baby, is YOUR baby) that you could even realize.
    I met moms in the NICU that told me their babies were born in July and as of mid October, still haven't held them. I met babies that were born at 26 weeks. I met mothers that gave birth in August and weren't expecting their little ones home until Christmas. I will never forget about them or their babies and I'll never stop praying for premie and NICU babies, their families and those amazing nurses. If any of you have been through this, or haven't! I wish you the absolute best luck and love and prayers and wishes in the world. Please remember that you have more strength in you then you realize. Enjoy and appreciate every second that you have your baby to hold, feed, kiss and cuddle.

Congrats!! I had my baby at 33 weeks and 6 days on 9/17, so we were close in dates. I got to hold mine for a few minutes and down to the NICU with daddy she went. We were able to hold her on and off the first week due to jaundice and bili lights. She came home at 3 weeks as they kept her for weight/feeding. I love your positivity Bc while it was hard, I see people complaining all the time and you hit it on the head- could have been much much worse. Bless our little ones as they made it through and prayers for the ones that are still there or haven't made it through. We have a lot to be thankful for!

• Thank you mama for your message of courage, strength and love. Wishing all the best to you and your family!
  • You and your son are so brave and strong. Us NICU mom's learn very quickly that we have a strength we didn't know we had in us, and our babies are even tougher. I hope your little one gets to be home with you soon!
  • Your story is so powerful and so encouraging, here I was complaining about going past my due date. Really puts things into perspective. Congratulations to you on your baby boy! Hang in there and stay positive. Prayers and good wishes for you and baby!! You'll be home before you know it :)
  • I read your post and I too am a NICU mom (first child).
    She will always be a little more special bc of the experience. You will alway cherish the nurses that helped out.
    Your baby is yours now , enjoy every bit.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Xo
  • Your post is so nice to read! I'm on week 3 of our nicu stay. There was a time I wondered if my baby would be born before Christmas and he made it in time for Canadian thanksgiving. It's tough! Just 2 and a half more weeks until he will be 35 weeks (the minimum age he can be before going home) and I'm really hoping nothing will delay our homecoming more than that! Took me a while to figure out to just start following the October birth month on here and now I have I'm so glad I did!
  • Thank you for sharing your story. I was able to bring my baby home on Tuesday after only 4 days at the hospital including labor and delivery. I was losing my mind just because we had to stay one extra night. I cannot imagine going through what you did. We had to do a bilirubin blanket for two nights and my baby was so upset by it and I spent most those nights crying with her. I have no idea how hard it must be to go through what you and many other women do. Our experience wasn't even close and I was still an emotional wreck. Thank you for posting this and reminding me how incredibly blessed I am. I'm so happy to have read a happy ending to your story. Congrats!
  • My nephew was a micro preemie born at 26 weeks on July 12 2013. He went home a week before Tday that year. I was 8 months pregnant with my 3rd baby at the time. I remember my brother holding my girl when she was born and that bittersweet look on his face knowing he'd never have that moment with his son. I can't tell you how much respect i have for parents who go through that. My nephew is a strong, healthy 2 year old now and you'd never know he got that tough start. Your words are so true, you never know how strong you are until you have to be. Congrats and thank you for sharing.
  • Thank you for your post. I'm a NICU mum; baby was full term(39 weeks) but was in the NICU for a number of other reasons. Very grateful for the incredible hospital staff, my husband, and everyone else who has been there for us. We are so blessed to have beautiful baby girl with us :-)