Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Postpartum Anxiety and Breastfeeding (X-Post)

I need some advice with the ladies who have suffered from PPA and breastfed. My doctor diagnosed me with PPA yesterday and I am going back to see her to talk about medications this afternoon. I was curious if anyone here has been through this and was still able to breastfeed? I never experienced this with my first.

Re: Postpartum Anxiety and Breastfeeding (X-Post)

• dalzien said:
    I need some advice with the ladies who have suffered from PPA and breastfed. My doctor diagnosed me with PPA yesterday and I am going back to see her to talk about medications this afternoon. I was curious if anyone here has been through this and was still able to breastfeed? I never experienced this with my first.

I haven't personally experienced this but I believe several women from my BMB were able to breastfeed while on medication for PPA/PPD. Do you have any updates since speaking with your doctor today?
  • None. She doesn't believe in medication, so I am going to see someone on Friday... but it still doesn't solve my not being able to sleep issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Download lactmed. It's a free app from the NIH and it can tell you about different meds. It's a risk/reward/balance. Some SSRIs pass through in higher amounts and there are "go to" anti anxiety meds and mood stabilizers. Lots of women breastfeed while taking medicine.
    Try and find a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse with a concentration in PPD. They will support you. You need to find a good support system.
  • dalzien said:
    None. She doesn't believe in medication, so I am going to see someone on Friday... but it still doesn't solve my not being able to sleep issue.

I couldn't sleep or eat because of anxiety after my second child was born. I had it really, really bad so I spoke with someone that put me on Zoloft. I wasn't breastfeeding at the time but let me tell you, that medication was a god send. It saved my sanity.

I know lots of women who are on meds for anxiety and still breastfeed. Hopefully this doctor you see Friday can help you. Hang in there.

• I would ask to have your thyroid tested first. Hyperthyroidism is common after pregnancy  (postpartum thyroiditis) even without previous history and can cause both anxiety and difficulty sleeping.
  • I think I've got that to some degree too. I've had SIDS anxiety since he was born which is getting better now that he's 2 months. A few nights ago I dreamed I accidently drowned him in the bath tub! And when I fell back asleep I dreamed of alligators eating my dog (I'm in south FL so it's a real thing) so far this was only 1 night and not becoming a regular thing. I'm making an effort to get outside for fresh air each day and get as much sleep as possible and do yoga more often but if it gets worse I'm going to talk to my doctor. A certified lactation consultant should be able to help you with the meds and breastfeeding. Some meds do pass through milk but aren't still active so you really do need a professional person to let you know whether or not to keep breastfeeding.