February 2016 Moms

New mom haircut

edited October 2015 in February 2016 Moms
Hey so what are everyone's thoughts on haircuts? I have long hair currently past my shoulders but am considering cutting it short like a long pixie. I straighten it everyday currently and don't know if I am going to want to take the time to do that once the baby comes. Has anyone else considered doing this or planning on it?

Re: New mom haircut

• I have a pixie cut and have had that or some variation for several years (had hair down to my waist before that). It is easier in terms of it being out of the way, but if I want it to look decent, I have to spend the same amount of time coercing it into a cute style with lots of product. Otherwise, I'm relegated to wide headbands or bandanas. I'm not saying don't get one - I adore mine most of the time - just wanted to give you full disclosure! :)
  • I cut my hair short a couple months before dd was born and have had shorter hair since it's been right at my shoulders which is short for me

I say go short slowly... I wouldn't just chop a lot unless you're really good with change!
  • Loading the player...
  • My hair is currently just past my shoulders and I plan to just get a trim to freshen it up. I have had both long and shorter (bob) cuts and think longer will be easier as I can pull it back without a ton of bobby pins holding all the shorter hairs back. I also feel like it lasts longer between washings when longer.
  • I'm sure it will look good, but I probably wouldn't do any drastic changes while you're pregnant. I'm more impulsive and emotional when I'm pregnant.

• I have two kids already (ages 1 and 2), and I have long hair. I don't feel like it's really ever been in the way. If anything I felt like it was more of a hassle when it was shorter because it was harder to keep out of my face.
  • I'm pregnant with my fourth baby and have long hair. I love it and couldn't imagine myself ever cutting it. I've heard a lot of moms cutting their hair so it can be one less thing to worry about. But I personally dont ever want to. I also agree cut little by little.
  • I cut my hair at week 5 because my hair is very thick and takes time to take care.
  • I cut my very long hair into a chin-length bob during my last pregnancy and HATED it. I think I just wanted to feel some control and agency over my changing appearance. I felt unattractive and really regretted it, but thank God it's grown back and is nice and long again.
  • I cut mine a couple months ago to a shoulder length bob...I figured if I want a change I should do it before the baby comes...I'm glad I did it, but I'm going to grow it back out. I need the option to throw it into a messy bun and with this I feel like I have to do something with it everyday
  • I actually feel like my hair is more work when it's shorter because then I actually have to style it. When it's longer, it looks a lot better (than when it's short) if I just let it air dry or just do a quick blow-dry. I know everyone's hair is different, just something to think about...
  • I have a chin length bob right now, and i wish it was a little longer. it was this length with my last baby, too, and i missed being able to throw ALL of it up in a messy bun.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm actually growing mine out from a chin length bob. My hair is incredibly thin and straight so it looks better when it's short and somewhat styled, but having it long enough to pull back is easier.

I was talking with one of my coworkers that has thick bushy hair and she was saying that it's so much easier to manage when it's shorter. For her the difference is that she can wash and blow dry it easier and it gets less knotted and if she wants to straighten it the time is drastically reduced.

I'm all for whatever makes your life easier and am moving in the direction that is more about easy function than looks.

*Kate*

February 2016

• I personally think longer hair is so much easier to style and takes less time. I think the shorter the hair is the harder it is to style for me that is. BUT I hear that babies love hair and tangle their little fingers all in it. I am planning on just pulling mine back and out of the way. Plus my hubby loves my long hair so I will keep it for him too!
  • I decided last spring I was going to grow my hair out to donate. Over the past few years we've had two close friends with breast cancer and my aunt. Also MILs cousin passed away from it. So I just thought it was something I could do.
    My mom always wants me to get a long bob and DH loves long hair. I wouldn't go shorter than my shoulders because my hair gets poofier and curlier as it gets shorter.
    But everyone's hair is different both my SILs have finer hair and theirs looks great shorter
  • I love short hair, however for me I do far more with my hair when short than when it's long. Long is either straight down or ponytail. Short I take the time to style and need to keep it trimmed :)
  • I have always gone between short bobs and pixie cuts. Until I became a mom lol. My hair is the longest it's been since I was a little kid. It's almost to my boob. Shorter hair, in my experience, is more work than long hair. Now I can throw my hair in a bun or side braid and go. I won't go short again until all my kids are out of the toddler phase lol. Even then, I'm loving how easy long hair is so I might just leave it.
  • I say go for it! I just recently cut mine off (about 6-7in though hard to tell in pic because it's an angled cut so it's shorter in the back) but it's really hard having long hair with babies around!
  • I agree with other replies that long hair is easier to style. HOWEVER, babies are big time hair pullers so you might have to wear your hair up more often than you'd like
  • I love my short hair! I literally blow dry it (on a good day) and that's it. My hair type works best with short hair, though. It takes too much time to make it look decent when it's long.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've been struggling with this decision too.  I have 2 kids and haven't had any problem having long hair b/c i wear it in a messy bun every single day, but that's my struggle.  If i have long hair (like half way down my back), but i never wear it down what's the point?
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Kiek said:

I have always gone between short bobs and pixie cuts. Until I became a mom lol. My hair is the longest it's been since I was a little kid. It's almost to my boob. Shorter hair, in my experience, is more work than long hair. Now I can throw my hair in a bun or side braid and go. I won't go short again until all my kids are out of the toddler phase lol. Even then, I'm loving how easy long hair is so I might just leave it.

Yes I rock the side braid and messy bun all the time! Or I just wear it curly instead of straightening it
  • I've been struggling with this decision too.  I have 2 kids and haven't had any problem having long hair b/c i wear it in a messy bun every single day, but that's my struggle.  If i have long hair (like half way down my back), but i never wear it down what's the point?
    And that is why I keep mine short!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I second PP who say be careful with a drastic cut while pregnant and emotional!  I got a fairly drastic cut this past weekend and nearly cried because I hate it.  I would have been able to shake it off more before being pregnant and feeling 100% normal with my body and weight and self esteem, but it was like the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of feeling bad about my appearance.  (I'm fine now, it's been a couple of days and I've had a chance to get some perspective, haha, but it was a rough weekend!)
  • Hey so what are everyone's thoughts on haircuts? I have long hair currently past my shoulders but am considering cutting it short like a long pixie. I straighten it everyday currently and don't know if I am going to want to take the time to do that once the baby comes. Has anyone else considered doing this or planning on it?
    I didn't cut mine off with my first and probably won't with this one either - my son never really pulled my hair, and it's super long also. I did however get a perm since I was sick of straightening it everyday also and my hair routine literally takes 10 mins now and I love it! Sometimes I miss my straight hair but I'd much rather shorten my time in the morning to get ready, especially once I have a newborn + toddler to also get ready besides myself in the AM. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic to your hair while pg, as some pp have said its sometimes related to emotions and wanting to feel pretty but a big change like that is much harder to get used to when you are already growing into a changing body. I'd wait until after or slowly go shorter and shorter over a few months!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not all babies are hair pullers.... Just sayin.
  • I cut my hair short last time just before I had DS. My hair dresser actually asked me a few times if I was sure, because she sees a lot of pregnant women wanting the change and then regretting it.

It was easier at the beginning but I did not have the time to maintain the cut (by going often to my hairdresser) and that middle stage grow out was annoying.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker