1st Trimester

Looking for some positive reinforcement...

edited October 2015 in 1st Trimester
Hey ladies,

I got a faint BFP 4 days ago on a FRER. I tested again later that day with another FRER, and got another faint positive. By then, I was super excited, had told my husband, and was thinking of ways to break it to the in-laws. 

Since then, I have tested every morning with Prognosis (Australian brand that feels a little cheaper in quality) HPTs. The line is still clearly there, but it is NOT getting darker. It's possibly even fading a little.

I did some research about this and people's opinions on this subject are really torn... Some people say that it's still positive and just a glitch in the test, and other people are saying that it's the start of a chemical pregnancy. 

I just need to hear some positive stories! Send a little hope my way! :(

Re: Looking for some positive reinforcement...

• Did you try testing on another FRER? Have you called your OB to see if you could have bloodwork done to measure the change in your hcg?
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Loading the player...
  • "Progression hpt's" are pretty much a myth. Yes, some people see very clear progressions but others don't- progressions are unreliable because the dye in the tests varies. For now you are pregnant, and the fact that your not bleeding is not indicative of a chemical pregnancy.
  • Thanks for your wisdom, ladies!  :x
  • "Progression hpt's" are pretty much a myth. Yes, some people see very clear progressions but others don't- progressions are unreliable because the dye in the tests varies. For now you are pregnant, and the fact that your not bleeding is not indicative of a chemical pregnancy.

The second portion of this isn't necessarily true, just don't want false hope being given. My second MC was technically a CP and my levels went from 12, to 22 and then down to 11, and eventually a week later down to 2. I didn't start bleeding until AFTER it was confirmed as a MC.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15

• edited October 2015
    I haven't organised a blood test just yet because I'd need to co-ordinate with my parents before going to my middle-of-nowhere doctor. I will book in for some time after the weekend when we'll tell them! 
  • edited October 2015

"Progression hpt's" are pretty much a myth. Yes, some people see very clear progressions but others don't- progressions are unreliable because the dye in the tests varies. For now you are pregnant, and the fact that your not bleeding is not indicative of a chemical pregnancy.

The second portion of this isn't necessarily true, just don't want false hope being given. My second MC was technically a CP and my levels went from 12, to 22 and then down to 11, and eventually a week later down to 2. I didn't start bleeding until AFTER it was confirmed as a MC.
    @WinchestertoPittsburgh im not giving false hope...i even specifically said "FOR NOW you are pregnant." nowhere did i say she for sure wasn't having a CP- I said the fact that she's not bleeding isn't necessarily indivicate of a cp. There's always going to be exceptions. I've had 2 CPS and started bleeding almost immediately with both of them. She asked for opinions, I gave my opinion... I didn't say I for sure know what's happening to her- no one can know that, not me or you
  • Whoa there, @tripledaggerWed95976 , don't get so defensive. The way I intetpreted your statement was as such. So, I was clarifying.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15

• I would not tell your mom until you get a positive test from a doctor. Any way you can lie about where you are going?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Why not just put aside worrying about who to tell and when to tell them and just get to a doctor? You're not going to know the next step if you don't know for sure about the pregnancy. Good luck and I hope it all works out.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • i would get to your doctor right away & do a urine/blood tesg there. see how their test comes back.
  • tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited October 2015
    Blood test should confirm it so I second the PPs suggestions. I don't know about the line getting lighter but when I got my BFP with a cheapie, it was very faint. I later did an FRER and a digital which were both positive. A few days later I kept peeing on all the sticks and they were clearly positive. I used another brand of cheapie and the line was almost invisible, just barely there ETA: it was lighter than the first cheapie from the other brand. I didn't think much of it because different tests have different sensitivity. I wouldn't worry about not telling your mom, I'd tell her that I got a BFP but it's not consistent from test to test so I want to be cautious and confirm with a doctor. It's a personal decision though, all we can do is provide our opinions :)
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Just to update: I went home after work yesterday and took another FRER. It was a very dark line! Undeniable! I took another one this morning and it was even darker. Looks like I am pregnant, after all, ladies! I just fell into the classic trap of thinking a test can track the increase of HCG, when actually, it can just tell you if you're pregnant or not. Haha! For future reference, FRER is the best test to track increase in the hormone, but even better is an actual blood test.

I'll be telling my parents this weekend, then going to the doctors early next week! 

Thanks so much, everyone! 
  • Corts said:

I would not tell your mom until you get a positive test from a doctor. Any way you can lie about where you are going?

Why would you suggest deception?

OP-- why not have your husband take you? How old are you?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• edited October 2015
    @PrimRoseMama I'm 23. My husband and I have a car but keep it at my parents' house in the suburbs as we are staying in a city center apartment temporarily. Hence, we would need to co-ordinate with my mom as to when we can collect the car from them in order to go to the doctor. :)

• Your age was asked because it was seeming like the only way for you to see a doctor was to go through your mother. Personally, if my mother had my car at her house and I needed it there wouldn't really be any coordination(as it's my car) and I certainly wouldn't need to tell her why I needed my personal vehicle. That may be something you need to think about with a child on the way. There are a lot of doctors appointments and things of this nature when a child is involved. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • edited October 2015
    @kynbar5 Thanks for clarifying! :) 

As for the car situation, my parents keep the keys inside the house as they sometimes use it while it's parked there. So, yes, co-ordination would be necessary, unfortunately. 
  • edited October 2015
    I'd really appreciate people staying a little more on topic here. Even if I was 16 and pregnant, I didn't ask that everyone rally together and tell me how foolish I am, and try to help me find a way to obtain my vehicle from my parents' house. I was asking a question that has since been answered, and updating that everything is A-okay. Let's celebrate and not be so cynical and snarky, huh? ;)  :))
  • edited October 2015
    @WinchestertoPittsburgh Thanks for your comment. I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to control anyone. I was just asking for a little more kindness and respect is all. Lesson learned... :(
  • edited October 2015
    https://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/trying-to-conceive/topic/omg-the-bump-ladies-are-just-mean.html  

Doesn't apply to everyone, but yikes! That's quite the reputation! 

:P
  • https://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/trying-to-conceive/topic/omg-the-bump-ladies-are-just-mean.html  

Doesn't apply to everyone, but yikes! That's quite the reputation! 

:P

The thread you linked to is over a year old. Things are very tame here in comparison to.... anytime prior to January of this year. You have no idea.
  • Hi @MommaPattie
    I'm 12 weeks pregnant after a MC. I tested with a FR and got a very faint line. Barely visible. I was about 3 days past my due period date. Tested daily for a week and it didn't get any darker.
    I then decided to go for a digital and it massively reassured me. Pregnant + how many weeks since conception
    I've since had 3 scans and baby is fine.
    So, I'm proof that very faint lines can be as pregnant as very dark ones.
    Good luck X
  • @amyeva1989 I'm sorry to hear about your MC. That must have been really tough for you to go through. But YAY that your sweet baby is healthy and happy! That's great news- congratulations! The lines got darker on my tests eventually, it just took about a week or so. On a FRER, the lines are about as dark as they can get now. It was just during that time of constant faint lines that I got super worked up and nervous about CP, as my friend has been through several and was telling me not to get too excited. Thank you so much for your feedback! Best of luck to you too! xxx 
  • Yay. Amazing news. Well done xxx
  • @amyeva1989 Thank you so much! We are stoked! xxx