Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Starting Food

Just a few questions:
1- when did you start with baby food
2- did you start with cereal, fruit, or vege
3- do you bf or formula feed
4- why did you start when you did

With my first he was formula fed, and I tried cereal at 4 months, but he didn't want any part of it. I then waited until almost 6 months, and started on veges then fruit, 3 days between each new thing. 

Now with my second, he is breastfed, and almost 4 months. I am debating on starting him on veges, and skipping cereal all together. And I haven't decided if I will start him at 4 months, or wait until closer to 6 months. Just wanted to see what others are doing & why...

Thanks!!

My History:
Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.

Re: Starting Food

• SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited September 2015
    I haven't started yet as my LO is just under 4 months. The AAP and others recommend 6 months so I'm probably sticking with that:
    https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/HALF-Implementation-Guide/Age-Specific-Content/Pages/Infant-Food-and-Feeding.aspx

https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/delay-solids/

I'll see what his ped says at his 4 month check up this week though. Also, I've heard bad things about rice cereal so I'll prob try oatmeal or veggies first.
  • I started my first kid on cereal at 4 months after the Pedi recommended it. I listened to EVERYTHING my Pedi said with my first child. 

With my second kid I offered purees at 6 months but she wasn't interested in food until 7 months. She is a formula fed baby and only ate purees for about a month and has been eating regular food ever since.

The newest recommendation by the AAP is to start solids at 6 months old. I'd discuss with your Pedi and do what you feel is best.  

• Loading the player...
  • My son is EBF. My pediatrician said I could start puréed food at 4 months, but I waited until 5.5 months. I skipped cereal and started with orange vegetables. I make my own baby food. So far he's had sweet potato, squash (acorn, butternut, yellow), carrots, green beans and pears.
  • Out of curiosity why yellow?
  • Easiest on the stomach and least likely to cause allergies.
  • His 4 month visit is at the end of this month, so I will see what his opinion is. I don't care either way, just wanted to see what others did.

Thanks!

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Easiest on the stomach and least likely to cause allergies.

This isn't true. It's fine to do, but you can start with whatever you want. You don't even have to do baby food.
  • Waiting until 6 months, and she's a mixture of bf and formula fed.  I'm doing baby led weaning, and skipping cereals altogether.  They're pretty devoid of any nutrients.
  • What are pros and cons of baby led weaning? I'm interested but am having difficulty finding studies saying it leads to better outcomes for babies.
  • CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited October 2015
    Kpp123 said:
    What are pros and cons of baby led weaning? I'm interested but am having difficulty finding studies saying it leads to better outcomes for babies.
    Pros are they learn to chew & handle food in their mouth before they lose their stronger gag reflex (helps them not to choke when they seriously get into eating), they tend to be less fussy about food & have a wider range of foods they'll eat, etc.  There's a good book called Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley that goes through the benefits & process.

Basically, until about the 1950s, that's how babies ate post breast (for thousands of years) - all of these commercial purees and stuff were never used, so babies naturally ate real food later (which helped them start at 6 months when it's biologically more ideal).  The 50s brought about this mania that fat baby=healthiest baby, so people started shoving food into them earlier and earlier.  (Not insulting anyone's chunker - I get there's lots of roly poly babies out there naturally!)
  • We started rice cereal at almost 5 months. And she loves it!! And we'll start with veggies in 2 weeks
  • DD started foods last week. I gave her oatmeal (not rice bc its binding) with my breast milk in it, everyday making the consistency thicker each day. (She's food fed twice a day per her. Dr.). Then after she got the hang of the spoon about 3 days later sweet potato, and now squash. She loves it. Good luck...only you will know when the time is right! Food time is so much fun!
  • 1- when did you start with baby food

At about 5.5 months

2- did you start with cereal, fruit, or vege

We started with rice cereal but introduced pureed foods within a few days. I made most of the food I fed LO and tried to give him as much variety as possible.

3- do you bf or formula feed

At the time LO was breastfed

4- why did you start when you did

From what I had read and what the pediatrician had told us, we waited until LO showed signs he was ready, which included being able to sit in his high chair and still have excellent head control. At the same time, daycare was advising us that LO was still acting hungry after his feedings and needed more to eat. I wasn't able to provide more breastmilk than I had been, so we started adding in solids.

• My first was formula fed and we started with solids (avocado then bananas) at 4 months. I made all his purées. Skipped all cereals.

With my second, she's currently 4 months and she's exclusively on breastmilk. I'm going to start her on homemade purées at 6 months. Skip cereals again. An ounce or two of solids will be offered 30 minutes after nursing or a breastmilk bottle a couple times per day. Solids before one, just for fun I think is what they say lol. Almost all of her nutrition will hopefully still come from breastmilk. That's the plan at least.
    FET to TTC #2: 9/29/14 Beta on 10/8/14 = BFP!
    DS #1 Born 1/3/11 after IVF #1
    4 failed IUIs, including 1 CP
    PCOS
    TTC since 2008

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker

• Waiting until 6 months, and she's a mixture of bf and formula fed.  I'm doing baby led weaning, and skipping cereals altogether.  They're pretty devoid of any nutrients.

Rice cereal is fortified with all sorts of vitamins and a few minerals. It also contains a bit of protein.
  • Pediatrician  recommended  we start oatmeal at 2 1/2 months with LOL since he was taking formula every 2 hours and was taking more than 40 Oz a day. He never gagged on it and loves it. Then we started him on veggies (peas, greenbeans, squash, sweet potato) then moved to fruit (apples, pear, peaches, prunes, banana). He doesn't like a lot of flavor in his food, so still wants oatmeal in all his purees, plus we add formula to them. He eats 4 meals a day plus his formula (he eats 10 times a day). His pedi was fine with all this and suggested we just start more fruits and veggies and different combinations and start weaning from the oatmeal. LOL is also off the top of the charts for height. At 4 months old he's outgrown his car seat and we've moved him to the convertible car seat.