July 2015 Moms

SLEEP HELP!

My baby boy is 13 weeks today.  The only way he can fall asleep is if I rock him and stand up with him for about 30 minutes after his nightly routine.  I know I created a monster! :(  He is not sleeping through the night - he is up every 3 hours.  It doesnt seem like he wants to eat -in fact, he wouldnt take the bottle- but as soon as we hold him, he falls right back asleep.  I am so upset with myself that I created a bad routine with him!  Is this possible to break even though he is 13 weeks?  I know we need him to start falling asleep on his own. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to make this transition effective? It breaks my heart to see him in his crib screaming at the top of his lungs.  Any advice?  Has anyone gone through this?  HELP!! Thank you!

Re: SLEEP HELP!

• My son is teething and his routine changed. I've noticed during these weeks their routine changes all time. I guess that's why doctors say to wait to start a routine until they're a bit older. Have you tried giving him a bath before bed!? Also they might grow out of it, or maybe he just wants to be with his mom. My son isn't sleeping through the night either. Don't worry, you're doing great. I hope this helps and good luck! :)
  • My LO is similar, she wakes up multiple times at night and doesn't go back to sleep until I feed her. It doesn't seem like she eats anything, just wants the comfort and reassurance of being held and close. I've been reading a lot about sleep changes and the importance of a routine which hopefully we'll put in place soon. Other than that I'm going to try a pacifier when she wakes in the night but if it doesn't soothe her I can't bear to leave her feeling confused and alone so I know I'll pick her up. I don't know, I might be crazy but it seems wrong to me to expect a baby this young to soothe themselves back to sleep. Sorry I don't have any tips, just wanted you to know you're not alone!
  • Loading the player...
  • rasmith23rasmith23 member
    edited October 2015
    When my LO was still in our bedroom, I had to walk/bounce with him, for what seemed like forever, until he fell asleep. He eventually just grew out of that on his own so maybe the same will happen with you. Now at 15 weeks, we will eat before bedtime and usually he will take a pacifier and quickly fall asleep while I rock him. He wakes once to eat still in the motn but sleeps a solid 6-8 hours before that feeding. The transition to his crib was me just trying to see what would happen and he's done so well I'm waiting for it to fall apart!! He has a routine and he sticks to it. He knows when bedtime comes around and lets me know he's ready. My advice would be to get a routine for bedtime and stick to it. We did a little of both cry it out and no cry. I didn't let him scream but I did let him whine a little. I don't have to tend to him anymore except for that one night feeding. He soothes himself to sleep if he wakes by sucking on his hand. It really only took about 3-4 days and we had a good crib sleeper! I will say I tried the crib when he was younger and it did not work at all so I guess it depends on the baby and if they're ready. Coming from someone who thought her baby would never sleep alone in his crib, I'm over the moon with the success we've had. Good luck!