January 2016 Moms

Anyone have any at home remedies for Strep Throat?

jencook25jencook25 member
edited October 2015 in January 2016 Moms
Lucky me is at home with what I think is going to become another dose of Strep Throat. I tend to get it after Ive pushed myself too much, generally after uni exams etc. I really dont want to take antibiotics, but obviously would rather antibiotics if I think Im going to start getting a fever.
Does anyone have any at home remedies for strep throat?
I'm using saltwash gargles, honey on toast, honey and ginger tea, going to find some cloves to chew on soon. Im out of lemon, so don't bother suggesting that. I would love it, but its a 1hr 30min round trip to the shops. Thanks ladies :)

Re: Anyone have any at home remedies for Strep Throat?

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't mess around with a bacterial infection and home remedies while pregnant. If you think you have strep, call your doctor!
  • Strep can be very dangerous if not treated, if that's what you think it is , see a doctor.
  • There are no home remedies which will treat strep throat, just the symptoms. But it's possible you don't have strep throat, you may have viral pharyngitis, which sucks just as bad but doesn't need antibiotics. If you're concerned, go get tested and get antibiotics (which FYI, prevent rheumatic fever and that's why they're prescribed). 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I would go to the doctor and test to see if you have it. You don't want to mess around if you do have it. When I was younger i didn't know I had it and it turned into a kidney infection and I ended up in the hospital.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Lurking here, but I have to agree with PP. Don't mess with home remedies and strep. Go to your doctor's and get tested. I too had a kidney infection when I was 5 due to strep. Luckily I didn't have to be hospitalized, but came close.
  • Like pp's said I'd get tested to see if that's what it is, then do everything you mentioned to boost your immune system to help knock it out. I'm also a personal fan of pairing an antibiotic with some sort of digestive probiotic so your stomach/skin don't suffer too much.
  • Get tested, if it's a virus you just have to suffer and ride it out, if it's strep take the antibiotics. Done. 
  • Strep can lead to rheumatic fever, Glomerulonephritis, and heart valve disease. Check it out. Don't play with something that can haunt you forever.
    Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• If you actually have Strep, just take the antibiotics.  Any reason you don't want to take them?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• No no no no no. A bacterial infection requires antibiotics. Go to your doctor today or an urgent care center and get a prescription. In the meantime you're just allowing your infection to worsen and risking infecting everyone around you.
  • jencook25jencook25 member
    edited October 2015
    @nlwz123 yes, Im allergic to penicillin and cephalexin (what they normally use for strep), and amoxycillin makes me nauseous to the point I cant keep anything down. Don't get me wrong, love antibiotics, they just don't love me unfortunately. I managed to get strep for the first time when I was 18, and since then Ive had it about 6 times in 7 years. Really wishing i got my tonsils out pre-pregnancy now! I'll be going to the doctors tomorrow anyway as I need a sick leave note for work, but as Ive had it so many times and given my allergies, my drs happy for me to try to manage it at home. Saltwater is actually surprisingly effective, and obviously I know to go in if I think I'm getting worse than just the average sore throat stage. Dr prescribes cephalexin if she has too, as i have the least reaction to it, and husband gets rostered on to 'watch me and take me into hospital if my airways swell up' (which is how I react).
  • Can't you take a z pack. That's what they give me for my strep since I have medication allergies. Also amoxacillian and penicillin are in the same family. If u have an allergy to one, you shouldn't be perscribes the other ever.
  • Ive never even heard of a z pack @ainverso .. What is that?
    Sore throat has progressed to congestion, so just a virus, so not strep after all anyway.
  • jencook25 said:
    Ive never even heard of a z pack @ainverso .. What is that? Sore throat has progressed to congestion, so just a virus, so not strep after all anyway.
    https://www.drugs.com/mtm/zithromax-z-pak.html

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• I also take a z-pack because of penicillin allergies. If you are allergic to penicillin, you can't take amoxacillan either. Zithromax is a pretty standard strep treatment these days.