Baby Names

Phineas or Sebastian???

ybnrmlybnrml member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
Hey guys! Just wanted some opinions on names since we aren't really sharing with that many people that we know personally. I'm 34 weeks pregnant with our first, a baby boy. We have it narrowed down to 2: Phineas and Sebastian. Last name starts with a D.

What I am curious on is which do you like better, and which nickname do you like? For Phineas it would be Finn or Phin. I'm leaning towards Finn but is the difference in letters too weird? Hubby doesn't like the spelling Finneas. For Sebastian the nickname would be Bastian or Bast.

Let me know your thoughts and please no negative comments on them because it took us a long time to get these two names narrowed down :) thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Phineas or Sebastian???

• I like Sebastian, very cute. I'll admit I immediately thought of the cartoon phineas and ferb. I'm not too crazy about Phineas.
  • Sebastian has really been growing on me lately but I think Bast for a NN is a little weird. Bastian's not so bad. Not a huge fan of Phineas. I do like Finn as a NN but the difference in letters would bug me too.
  • Loading the player...
  • susykat77susykat77 member
    edited October 2015
    I love Phineas but spelling the nn Finn would be weird but Phin works. I also like Sebastian but not as much. I've heard Sebe as a nn - pronounced Seb-e. Cute names.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I love Phineas. I like Finn as a nn as for spelling, both could work.

I'm not a Sebastian fan, just nms however I know someone who named their boy Sebastian and call him Seb, also Bash could work as a nn. Bash is my vote a nn if you went with Sebastian
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Both are great names. I'm a little more partial to Phineas
  • I like Phineas more, but both are nice.
  • Love Sebastian, but not Bast. I prefer Bass or Bash. But either way, great name!

• My vote is for Sebastian. Lots of cute nicknames. I considered that name for DS2 but we had a family friend who named their son that a few years ago.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Both unique, but I like Phineas :)
  • Both are good names, so I think that you're set whichever one you pick.

I prefer the name Sebastian to Phineas but the nickname Finn to Bastian or Bast.  So, I guess I'm not much help there hah.  As far as Finn vs. Phin, I would choose Finn.  The spelling change may not make the most logical sense, but nicknames don't have to include the same letters as the formal name (think Betsy for Elizabeth).  Finn seems like a complete nickname to me that your son could actually go by, whereas Phin makes me think of a dolphin or a fish fin and seems like it would be more of a pet name.

• I love the nn Finn but personally like Finley or Finnegan as a first name better. I know not a lot of people will agree with me on that. If you go with Phineas I don't think it's weird to use the nn Finn spelled with an F.

I do like Sebastian- Have a student who goes by Seb or Sebby and he is a doll so I have a good association with that name.

In order:
    Finley/Finnegan
    Sebastian
    Phineas
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • not a fan of either the whole finn craze is just too mcuh
    the nn bast is awful....all i can hear is bastard
  • I like Finn, but not so much Phinneas. Second a PP with Finley.
    I knew a Sebastian. His nn growing up was Sea Bass. He loved it though, we live by the ocean and he was a big fisherman.
  • I like Phineas better with Finn as a nn. I don't think the letter change is weird. There are lots of Catherines who go by Kate/Katie.
  • I love Sebastian (I picked it but hubby really disliked). But I like the sound of the full name not the nicknames. If you are going to nickname your baby then go with Phineas.
  • I like both, but I give Sebastian a slight edge.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Sebastian > Phineas
  • I prefer Sebastian.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sebastian is fun! I love the nickname Finn but I'm one that thinks the difference in spelling is weird. But I totally agree with pp's about the Catherine/Kate nickname being a normal thing. Either way, if you spell the name ph and nn him Finn it really doesn't matter as long as you commit to the spelling!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Sebastian 100%.
  • Phineas with Finn is totally fine...Sebastian seems like it doesn't have a natural nn to me.
  • I love Sebastian and the nicknames that come with it. I like
    Phineas and don't think Finn is a stretch for the nn with F BUT with all the Finn type names and people slapping Finley on girls the whole sound is a bit of a turn off to me and more trendy than I care for.

• I like both names, but I like Phineas more.

Sebastian - I like Bash (my friends son has this nickname), or Bastian. I don't like Bast.

Phineas - Love the nickname Finn for Phineas. I would go with the Finn spelling, as most people will write Finn down if they hear it, instead of Phin. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I love Sebastian!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I like phineas... I've never been a fan of Sebastian. I just don't like the sound of it.

Phin.
  • Sebastian. And please use Bastian for the nickname because Bast just sounds like an abbreviation for something else.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like both. The Sebastians I've known have gone by Seb as a nickname. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sebastian - Seb is a nice nn or Bastie..
    Phineas - sounds like a male (beep!)
    :)
  • I prefer Phineas but it does get tied in with the cartoon a bit. Sebastian tho is a solid name but I strongly dislike the nicknames. Bastian reminds me of bastard...
  • I like Finn as a nn for Phineas, and I prefer it to your other nickname options. If Robert can turn to Bob, you can certainly do Finn for Phineas. For the full name, though, I like Sebastian.

Sebastian reminds me of Cruel Intentions, which wouldn't bother me but may affect your decision.
  • love Sebastian. is my 18 month old name. still don't call him by any nicknames. My best friend calls him bash. I don't dislike. but don't call him anything but his name right now. Im sure when hes older one will stick.  
  • Definitely Sebastian! Phineas reminds me of that cartoon "Phineas & Ferb".