Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I'm gonna lose it...

DS is almost 6 weeks old now and he has the whole witching hour thing real bad. Once it hits 6pm he's basically inconsolable until about 10pm. He just cries and cries. I've tried frequent nursing, swaddle, gas drops, swing, binky, you name it. He seems super tired but unable to fall or stay asleep. Could this be something else that I'm not aware of? Or just a fussy baby? Ahhhhh

Re: I'm gonna lose it...

• My DD is 8w and does the same thing. From 7-9 she is just pissed off. She fights sleep. Wants nothing to do with it. I have tried everything!! If you find the answer please share. I'm a ftm and thinking this is just normal. Hang in there!!
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Well good to know I'm not alone! We tried putting him to bed before the witching hour but then he was wide awake at 2am. So I dunno what's worse
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate to say it but this is totally normal. I have sat and cried along with both of my kids during the witching hour because nothing works. They are just fussy at that time. I promise it passes but it's awful at the time, I know.
  • One thing I can say is less is more. Keep calm, quiet, low stimulation in order to try and help baby and YOU relax. Good luck OP.
  • Lurking here:  What is this witching hour you are referring to?  I'm just lurking here to learn for future reference. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • valerie1132valerie1132 member
    edited October 2015
    Mine too (2 mo girl). I find that baby wearing helps and taking for walk outside (just wandering around the yard) helps a little because she gets distracted. Also she loves baths, so we do long baths and just let the warm water run on her for a while (downside is that she screams as soon as bathtime is over).
  • Lurking here:  What is this witching hour you are referring to?  I'm just lurking here to learn for future reference. 

The witching hour is sometime in the late evening when babies are super fussy. They've been stimulated all day and by the time 6 or 7pm rolls around they are a mess and very, very difficult to console. It's very normal but a lot of new moms don't realize this and get pretty frustrated because the baby cannot be soothed. I've experienced the witching hour with both of my kids, around the 1-2 month mark and it usually runs from about 7-10pm every night. Luckily it passes, but it's rough.
  • My son usually gets fussy around 5pm to 10pm, not as bad as colic but just not his usual content self. I started just putting him in his baby ktan and doing some housework around 4 to 5 before his time starts. If it's nice out we do a stroller walk too. Find a relaxing activity baby likes and it can offset the fussy time a little. As far as colic I think you just have to know they outgrow it on their own.
  • im on the same boat except our witching hour is from 12AM-4AM!!! i dont think there is anything we can do other than to ride it out.