May 2016 Moms

Having larger babies

Today I went to my 12 week appointment and my dr informed me that because my previous pregnancy I had a large baby (9 lbs 9oz) that it is likely I will have another. I gained 38 lbs and had no issues during labor or delivery. We were both healthy. She said that I need to gain 25 lbs this time to keep the babies weight down. Mind you I am 5'8 and weigh 129 when I got pregnant. She also told me that if they think the baby is big they will induce me a week or two early.

I'm super upset about the whole thing. I think it's rude and not even medically necessary to say any of it. I'm curious if someone else has experienced this. I'm against early induction and with my last pregnancy I gained regardless of what I ate. I ate healthy and was active I'm a teacher on my feet all day and went on walks all the time.

Any similar experiences?

Re: Having larger babies

• I always thought that the size of the mother isn't necessarily a reflection of the baby. I, of course, am not a Dr so I could very well be mistaken. My friend gained a whopping 65 pounds and her baby was only 7lbs at delivery.

I agree that it seems really rude of the Dr to say that. I would be looking at different docs quite honestly.

• They can't necessarily tell how big the baby is. I had a growth scan the day before my LO was born and they estimated 9 lbs 10 oz, give or take a pound (which freaked me right out!) and she was 8 lbs 14 oz. Maybe it was a suggestion and not a mandate? I say play it by ear and tell your OB you are not interested in being induced early unless it is medically necessary (like high blood pressure or other life threatening reasons), and that you would like to go for the 40 week mark. Good luck!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Loading the player...
  • No, on so many levels.  As PP said, your weight gain is not indicative of the baby's size.  And to induce early labor because of measurements is BS, as another PP said, they can't even give you an accurate reading on the weight.

Did you have an exceptionally tough time delivering your first baby?  Like, something else that might be causing concern?

I exercised probably 4-5x a week with DS and ate relatively well (maybe too much peanut butter but...).  I gained 50 pounds.  A lot of it was water in the last trimester, I think.  But it was what it was and my doctor wasn't concerned.  After getting through first tri with this pregnancy, I think my body is just pre-disposed to a certain weight gain when pregnant.  I'm gaining exactly the same as I did with DS and my eating habits are totally different.  I think sometimes our bodies are just going to do what they do. 

image        image

• My daughter was a whopping 10lbs 1oz, 22 in long. Because she was so large and wasn't progressing down while pushing, I ended up having an emergency c-section. At this point I plan on having a repeat c-section because as they say, the 2nd baby is usually as big or bigger then the first. They haven't said anything to me yet, but I have a feeling they will.

Anyway, I would tell them as long as it's not a medical necessity you do not want to be induced and want to go as long as is safe for you and baby. I can't imagine size alone is a valid reason to induce if there are no other issues going on.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Bluejay3030Bluejay3030 member
    edited October 2015
    If there were no issues with your previous pregnancy or delivery, I don't see why your doctor is making it an issue? Also, your baby's size isn't necessarily going to be directly dependent on your weight gain... I've never heard of this being a thing, but maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. Either way, I think unless there are complications, it doesn't make sense to mess with what worked last time.

One of my friends had 3 babies that were all on the larger size (all in the 9-10 lb range), but each was a little smaller than the last. She went past 40 weeks each time and had no issues whatsoever with delivery.

Eta: Unless there's a legitimate medical concern, I think it makes sense for you to do what you feel is best for you and baby, and if that means not inducing 1-2 weeks early, definitely tell your doctor that! She might have other reasons that she didn't explain the first time around.
  • My midwife told me this week that because my first baby was "big" (8 lbs, 9 oz), I would need to do an early glucose test. She didn't say anything about early induction. She did say the cut off was 8 pounds, 5 oz.

Regarding the weight gain, general advice is to gain around 25 pounds. Maybe your doctor was trying to give you a lot of info really quickly and didn't clarify very well. My suggestion would be to write down your questions and concerns about these issues for your next appointment. Maybe consult WebMD to see if it's normal to suggest induction after birthing a big baby.

Hope you get more info!
  • Sorry to be late to the party, but have you considered midwife care? I have had two large babies (8lb late-term preemies) and my midwives never mentioned anything about weight gain and/or baby's size.

Granted mine both came early, but overall I felt their approach was more about dealing with crisis if it arises instead of creating crisis which is what your doc seems to be doing.
  • I always thought weight gain for someone who is at a healthy weight is 30-35. I'm at the very low end of weight for my height. She said specifically to make sure the baby didn't gain a lot. Which I always thought one didn't have to do with another.
  • Your physician seems to rub you the wrong way. Have you considered getting a second opinion or switching to a different provider for the duration of your pregnancy? Maybe you could asked why this would be a cause for concern. Your healthcare provider should not be rude you. These are just a few ideas. I hope they help.
  • edited October 2015
    Not sure if this was mentioned but the official recommendation has changed to say that inductions based on concern of large baby with no other medical concerns is not warranted. I can't remember if this is by the the academy of pediatrics or OB something or other...but I know it's a thing!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Shoot, nowadays, 8, 9, and even 10 lb babies seem to be the norm! My brother, sister, and I were all 6 pounders as was typical with people born around the same time as us. A few years ago people shrieked to hear about a 9 or 10 lb baby, now it's less common that I hear of women delivering anything under that unless the baby is premature. Plus, 38 lbs is not unheard of for pregnancy weight gain, especially when you're eating healthy and exercising/on your feet. Shouldn't your doctor be thankful that you gained a healthy amount of weight and gave birth to a healthy baby last time? I feel like so many Drs are just trying to make their jobs easier with things like this and with the csection rates sky rocketing, it's super sad.
  • mhc13mhc13 member
    edited October 2015
    As far as diet I thought the only thing that could affect the baby's weight negatively is uncontrolled blood sugar. I'm surprised your dr. said that and I'd be questioning her too.

I've known plenty of women who have gained 50+ lbs and had average size children. Was your 1st also taller than average therefore proportionate for weight? I only ask because you are on the tall side so it's very possible it's just genetics.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• I find a few issues with this. Like @lionstigersbears said, I think inducing early due to the weight of a baby is out-dated. If your birth with your 1st LO went fine then your doctor really has no reason to be concerned.

The other problem I have is the fact that inductions greatly increase the likelihood of a c-section, and if the chances of you having a c-section are already increased due to a large baby (but you had no problems last time, so really they're not) then why increase that chance even more?

Also, there has been so much research done recently showing the benefits for the baby when they are able to stay in until as close to 40 weeks as possible.

I was induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e and I would not wish the hell of pitocin on my worst enemy, and I was about 1 hour from getting a c-section when DD decided to make her appearance. So I would definitely get a second opinion.
  • If I was in your shoes, I would be switching doctors. I feel like your doc's advice was way off base! I'm 5'7", 140 lbs. and my babies were 9 lbs. and 9 lbs. 4 oz. I was never told to watch my weight or be induced early because my babies are big. Babies come out when they are ready to! And if not, that is when induction should be discussed. I was 9 days overdue with my first and 4 days over with my second. Perfectly healthy, fat, and contented babies :) I'd definitely get a second opinion or a new doctor altogether.  
  • My doctor is being cautious with me this pregnancy even though she told me weight gain had no impact on my 1st pregnancy and my daughter weighed 10 lbs 5oz when she came 2 weeks early by c section due to my blood pressure. I would have a serious conversation with your doctor about your concerns and explain that you have no interest in early induction. If you don't like his answer start looking for a new dr.
  • My DS weighed 11 lb. 3 oz. at birth. No one expected him to be that large. I gained about 35 pounds with him. My doctor encouraged me to exercise after the first trimester fatigue was past, but no one has ever insinuated that he weighed as much as he did based on how much weight I gained.
  • vinerievinerie member
    edited October 2015
    I don't think it was rude. Doctors need to talk about weight and often don't because people assume they are being shamed for their weight. This is an issue as obesity is a major health issue in this country. That being said,  CLEARLY you don't have a weight issue, but for some reason you did have a large baby. There are risks fromthat and the dr. is doing her/his duty by helping you understand how to minimize those risks. 

ETA: Doctors should realize that weight is a touchy issue with women and should have those conversations with a bit of care and tact. That may not have been the case for you if you are feeling this way, though. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• How much you gain does not necessarily coorelate to how much baby weighs. With pregnancy #1 I gained around 38lbs as well and my son was 7 lbs 8 oz... My second I gained around 30lbs and my daughter was 8 lbs 10 oz. Honestly I'd get a new OB unless you are extremely attached. 

Our Miracles: BFP- May 14, 2015... diagnosed with SCH. Collapsed Sac- May 29, 2015. Determined to be failed twin tetraploidy pregnancy.
    "Never in my arms, Always in my heart"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers