Breastfeeding
Options

Eats really slow from bottle

My LO is almost 8 weeks and we've been giving him one bottle of expressed breast milk a day for two weeks, usually the last feed before bed, and it is taking forever! Last night it took an hour and a half to eat 4.5 ounces, when it only takes him about 30 minutes straight from the source. I pump during this feed and I usually get at least 7 ounces in 20 minutes, so I don't know why he is eating so slowly or so little.

We are using Como tomo bottles with the slow flow nipples. We tried moving up to the medium flow, but it was too fast for him. I would nurse him exclusively, but I am returning to work in 4 weeks and need him to be able to take a bottle.

Any ideas of what we could try would be much appreciated!

Re: Eats really slow from bottle

• Options
    4.5 ounces seems like a lot. My little guy is 15 weeks almost 16 and only takes 3 ounces. Have you tried different bottles/nipples? Maybe he just doesn't care for that one. It's good that he takes awhile to eat since he should be pacefed to avoid overeating, but an hour and a half is a bit much. Are you near him when he gets a bottle? Maybe he can smell you and wants it straight from the source.
  • Options
    Agree on the amount being a lot. BF babies never need more than 4-5 ounces the entire BF relationship as your milk composition will change with baby's nutrition needs. Check out this article and calculator from KellyMom: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingm