Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Starting School 2 wks Before Due Date

brereyebrereye member
edited October 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
I am thinking of going back to school in the spring and need some insight. School starts Jan 18 and I am due Feb 3. I won't be working by then, so I'm not worried of trying to juggle the three, but am worried that only being a couple of weeks into school with my first newborn is going to be a bit much and am worried about falling behind. It'd only be one class, two days a week- I just can't afford to mess it up. Insight?

Re: Starting School 2 wks Before Due Date

• Options
    I wouldn't. You are going to be recovering from childbirth and caring for a newborn. You will be more sleep deprived than ever before in your life as I post this while I'm up for a 3am feeding. That baby deserves your undivided attention for atleast the 1st 6 weeks. It's not the time to take on school. Even if you were in school already I would say take the semester off. School will always be there for you but that baby will only be a baby for a little while. Plus you could deliver 2 weeks early and miss the beginning anyway. Do you both a favor and plan for a summer class or next fall.
  • Options

I wouldn't. You are going to be recovering from childbirth and caring for a newborn. You will be more sleep deprived than ever before in your life as I post this while I'm up for a 3am feeding. That baby deserves your undivided attention for atleast the 1st 6 weeks. It's not the time to take on school. Even if you were in school already I would say take the semester off. School will always be there for you but that baby will only be a baby for a little while. Plus you could deliver 2 weeks early and miss the beginning anyway. Do you both a favor and plan for a summer class or next fall.

THIS. No way OP, too tough. Newborns are extremely hard work AND you will be recovering and exhausted. I'd hold off.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Completely agree with PPs. One class sounds like nothing now, but once baby is here, you will not want to leave and have no idea how much of your day will be consumed with baby.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    Don't do it. Especially if you are paying for the class. I'm a teacher and in a huge advocate for school, but honestly some days it's all I can do to check my email. My daughter is 2 months old and I'm off until January. I thought I would work on lesson plans for next semester with all my time at home, let me tell you, I haven't even opened a text book. Take the time to enjoy these first months with your baby!
  • Options
    I have a slightly different perspective. I started grad school 5 days before I found out I was pregnant. My LO was due 5 weeks into my 3rd semester and I had to be induced 4 weeks early. This is also the semester I started doing clinical 1 day per week. My instructors were really understanding and gave me extra time on the first weeks assignment and I was allowed to start clinical 3 weeks later. It hadn't been easy but I have been able to take care of LO, breastfeed, and keep my grades up while taking 10 hours in grad school. I just wanted to let you know that it can be done. I chose not to take a semester off because I wanted to get done before my LO really started doing things outside of the house that I might have to miss due to school. He will be about 15 months old when I graduate. I have a super supportive husband and wonderful family who has watched little one while I'm at clinical and I am lucky enough to be able to take my full 12 weeks of FMLA. I just wanted you to know that while it isn't easy it can be done if that is what you choose.
  • Options
    I would hold off on going back to school! Especially with being that close to your due date. Schooling will ALWAYS be there. :) So, just hold off for a little longer. Unless you can do online classes, that is. That would make things much easier!
  • Options
    I started school a week after having LO. And only one directed studies course that I could do from home. I couldn't see myself leaving the house 2 days a week that early. I did do a summer semester while pregnant which worked out fine. But after I was glad to be doing it from home. I agree with pp that school will be there. If you can check on doing an online or directed studies it might work out better being able to it from home if you are determined. B-) My DD is now 2 1/2 months now and I'm starting my next class so I have one directed studies, a on campus class and I work full time. But I'm lucky enough baby can come to work with me
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies