November 2015 Moms

Annoying nurses

In the past week I've been admitted to the hospital twice over blood pressure issues. The first stay was last Monday and Tuesday. I came in with high bps and passing out and was kept for observation. I had worked a 13 hour shift just before coming in so I slept a great deal during that stay which helped stabilize my bp. I was discharged and ended up returning Saturday for the same issue. I had bps register as high as 181/108. That day. They left me on magnesium for the night but still had a couple high blood pressures during that time. Since then they've just been monitoring me and I've had a few highs each shift. The problem is the nurses are refusing to accept them and insist that I lay down for 30-40 minutes so they can retake for lower pressures. This isn't realistic as I'm a single mom of three and will never spend my days just laying down and maintaining the normal pressures. My doctor has even told me to make sure I'm not laying down when they take them to show more accurate pressures but the nurses won't have it. Not to mention I get the "you're only 37 weeks and we don't want you having a premature baby" lecture after every vital sign check. Which yes I get baby is best after 39 weeks but my doctor doesn't think baby needs to stay in an unsafe environment and high bps aren't exactly safe for anyone especially when they spike to levels that can cause seizures. I'm over these nurses, their lectures, their huffing and puffing when baby moves off monitor, and their annoyance with having to do their job....

Rant over. I had to get it off my chest.

Re: Annoying nurses

• I would speak to your doctor so everyone is on the same page. Obviously it is better for the baby to cook as long as possible but baby is considered full term at 37 weeks according to my doctors and thebump.com :)
  • MoRay05 said:

I would speak to your doctor so everyone is on the same page. Obviously it is better for the baby to cook as long as possible but baby is considered full term at 37 weeks according to my doctors and thebump.com :)

Full term in the US was recently changed to 39 weeks. A lot of sites are still out of date.

I agree with talking to your doctor. But I'm wondering if there is something to be said for the fact that your blood pressure (bps = beats per second) is regulating on its own. Are these nurses you're dealing with at L&D or the dr office? You should be seeing your doc weekly at this point so make it a topic for discussion this week or call now and leave him/her a message.
  • Loading the player...
  • MoRay05 said:

I would speak to your doctor so everyone is on the same page. Obviously it is better for the baby to cook as long as possible but baby is considered full term at 37 weeks according to my doctors and thebump.com :)

Full term in the US was recently changed to 39 weeks. A lot of sites are still out of date.

I agree with talking to your doctor. But I'm wondering if there is something to be said for the fact that your blood pressure (bps = beats per second) is regulating on its own. Are these nurses you're dealing with at L&D or the dr office? You should be seeing your doc weekly at this point so make it a topic for discussion this week or call now and leave him/her a message.
    Was it really changed to 39!! That's so interesting. Do you know what was the reasoning behind changing it?

• Its the labor and delivery nurses as I'm still in the hospital. If I get out of bed for any reason (including simple things like adjusting my pillows or going to pee) my blood pressure jumps way up. When they catch it up the nurses are making me lay on my left side for 30-40 minutes and then retaking it. That's why its regulating which isn't realistic which is the point my doctor is making. I can't lay down 24/7 being that I'm a single mom with no help at home. So my blood pressure keeping jumping up and causing dizzy/fainting spells and putting me at risk for seizures which is very dangerous for baby.
  • Even though full term has been changed to 39 weeks (which, @mamavbs I believe is because there is still a huge difference between 37 and 39 weeks), it surprises me that induction hasn't been discussed if you're having so many difficulties because you're right - you can't lay down 24/7 even if you weren't a single mom. Have the L&D nurses been in contact with your doctor?
  • rachswi said:

Even though full term has been changed to 39 weeks (which, @mamavbs I believe is because there is still a huge difference between 37 and 39 weeks), it surprises me that induction hasn't been discussed if you're having so many difficulties because you're right - you can't lay down 24/7 even if you weren't a single mom. Have the L&D nurses been in contact with your doctor?

I'm a repeat c section and wasn't 37 weeks until today so he's tried to hold off. I have all the indicators of preeclampsia except that my urine protein has been excessive. When I came in Saturday it was .2 and then .27 yesterday morning and this morning. He said it needed to be .3 for it to be high (i believe that was the figure or .02/.027/.03 I can't remember exactly which but know I'm jut barely low). So he's been exhausting all options before delivering (to save his but legally and follow hospital policy which I understand). Today he's attempting bp meds to see if they help. I've still had high pressures since starting the meds but doubt they're being reported since they're continuing with the "lay down on your side for 30 so I can get a good pressure". Honestly I hope this is the last resort because I can't do two more weeks in and out of the hospital as I'm about to lose my job and my kids are missing school.
  • I'm sorry you have to deal with that, I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. However, I'm a little surprised that the doctor isn't communicating his/her expectations with the nurses. Sounds like the nurses are doing their job as far as managing your BP's in the hospital, but they should definitely be reporting it if you can't tolerate any movement without a significant jump. As a nurse myself... I know all it would take is a simple phone call. Hopefully your doctor understands your more "normal" readings are just because of interventions that wouldn't be possible outside the hospital and makes a decision based on that. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
  • The nurse/doctor situation does sound frustrating, but I can't help but focus on the existing children in the home.  Who is taking care of them and why are they missing school while you're in the hospital?  Are they old enough to care for themselves?  If not, why isn't their current caretaker bringing them to school or at least arranging bus transport temporarily. 

My family lives an hour away from our home so its not possible for them to get the two school aged kids there. We are trying to arrange for someone else to keep them but not having much luck since the only other family in the area just had a baby a little over a week ago. Its just all a big mess.
  • Its the labor and delivery nurses as I'm still in the hospital. If I get out of bed for any reason (including simple things like adjusting my pillows or going to pee) my blood pressure jumps way up. When they catch it up the nurses are making me lay on my left side for 30-40 minutes and then retaking it. That's why its regulating which isn't realistic which is the point my doctor is making. I can't lay down 24/7 being that I'm a single mom with no help at home. So my blood pressure keeping jumping up and causing dizzy/fainting spells and putting me at risk for seizures which is very dangerous for baby.

Isn't your doctor still involved with your care? He/she should be an active participant and making decisions. What does your dr say about the way the L&D nurses are handling your bp checks? Have you specifically asked your doctor about your status and options?

Isn't your doctor still involved with your care? He/she should be an active participant and making decisions. What does your dr say about the way the L&D nurses are handling your bp checks? Have you specifically asked your doctor about your status and options?
    He's told me to refuse the bp checks for at least 10 minutes if I've been laying down. He wants me active or sitting up at the least which is when the nurses get into fits and tell me I can check out AMA if I'm not going to let them treat me. He has been active with it and I've heard him specifically tell them to do differently. They don't seem to agree with it. He will he back in after office hours which should be a few hours from now. We will know more then about the remaining options.
  • mamavbs said:

MoRay05 said:

Was it really changed to 39!! That's so interesting. Do you know what was the reasoning behind changing it?

Yeah it was! Here is some info from March of Dimes.

Here's why your baby needs 39 weeks:
    - Important organs, like his brain, lungs and liver, get the time they need to develop.
    - He is less likely to have vision and hearing problems after birth.
    - He has time to gain more weight in the womb. Babies born at a healthy weight have an easier time staying warm than babies born too small.
    - He can suck and swallow and stay awake long enough to eat after he's born. Babies born early sometimes can't do these things.

And an article from ACOG - https://m.acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Room/News-Releases/2013/Ob-Gyns-Redefine-Meaning-of-Term-Pregnancy

I think more and more people are scheduling induction/cesarean to get a due date they want (vanity date) or for their personal covenience. This change was made to help discourage that.
  • I agree with PP talk to your dr about your concerns. If you need to, call your dr at their office.
    I had high blood pressure with my first pregnancy and the first thing the dr did was to put me on bed rest. The nurses did the same thing you are describing when they took my blood pressure, but I was not concerned about it because I was on bed rest. If you want to keep your baby inside for a few more weeks you may need be on bed rest, but ask your dr. If you honestly cannot slow down, you may be putting yourself and the baby at higher risk then if you delivered early, so definitely talk to your dr.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Ceridwen77 thank you... will be keeping a look out to see if this changes in the uk at all!
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited October 2015

Its the labor and delivery nurses as I'm still in the hospital. If I get out of bed for any reason (including simple things like adjusting my pillows or going to pee) my blood pressure jumps way up. When they catch it up the nurses are making me lay on my left side for 30-40 minutes and then retaking it. That's why its regulating which isn't realistic which is the point my doctor is making. I can't lay down 24/7 being that I'm a single mom with no help at home. So my blood pressure keeping jumping up and causing dizzy/fainting spells and putting me at risk for seizures which is very dangerous for baby.

He's told me to refuse the bp checks for at least 10 minutes if I've been laying down. He wants me active or sitting up at the least which is when the nurses get into fits and tell me I can check out AMA if I'm not going to let them treat me. He has been active with it and I've heard him specifically tell them to do differently. They don't seem to agree with it. He will he back in after office hours which should be a few hours from now. We will know more then about the remaining options.
    I can't understand what planet we live on where a nurse is defying doctor's orders. Make sure your doctor is being clear with these nurses. How unprofessional of them to tell you to check out if you don't like what they're doing. That is so beyond unethical. Talk to your doctor today and if you're still not being monitored as he/she requests then personally I would check out and go to L&D at a different hospital.
  • It's important to note that not every OB subscribes to the same definition of full term.  There are posters and brochures all over our clinic and hospital about waiting "The Full 40", but my OB has already told me that anytime after 37 weeks is fine by him.  In fact he said that there is no huge difference in those weeks that the baby can't accomplish out in the world, as long as the pregnancy is uncomplicated and labor occurs on it's own.  (He's not advocating for inductions before 40 weeks.)  So it really just depends on your personal OB and his or her experiences.  Like everything else, it's all subjective.

OP, it would be incredibly frustrating to be in your shoes, especially trying to juggle other kids.  I hope your OB gets involved and everyone can get on the same page!  Best of luck!
  • VexedMommyVexedMommy member
    edited October 2015
    I can't understand what planet we live on where a nurse is defying doctor's orders. Make sure your doctor is being clear with these nurses. How unprofessional of them to tell you to check out if you don't like what they're doing. That is so beyond unethical. Talk to your doctor today and if you're still not being monitored as he/she requests then personal I would check out and go to L&D at a different hospital.
    I agree.  I would bet there is a patient care coordinator at your hospital or somewhere online you can go to with these complaints.  Make sure to get the name of the nurses refusing to provide care according to your doctor's directions and at what times and make the complaints online to people higher up in the hospital food chain. 

ETA:  If you're on twitter and fb I'd complain and be sure to # and tag the hospital. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• He's told me to refuse the bp checks for at least 10 minutes if I've been laying down. He wants me active or sitting up at the least which is when the nurses get into fits and tell me I can check out AMA if I'm not going to let them treat me. He has been active with it and I've heard him specifically tell them to do differently. They don't seem to agree with it. He will he back in after office hours which should be a few hours from now. We will know more then about the remaining options.

That is outrageous!! Check out AMA for following doctors orders!?!? I would ask to speak to a supervisor and make a complaint... That is absolutely ridiculous and inappropriate. Hopefully when the doctor comes back to see you, they can help straighten out the issue and be done with it. Good for you for not being pushed around by the nursing staff.

• He's told me to refuse the bp checks for at least 10 minutes if I've been laying down. He wants me active or sitting up at the least which is when the nurses get into fits and tell me I can check out AMA if I'm not going to let them treat me. He has been active with it and I've heard him specifically tell them to do differently. They don't seem to agree with it. He will he back in after office hours which should be a few hours from now. We will know more then about the remaining options.

That is outrageous!! Check out AMA for following doctors orders!?!? I would ask to speak to a supervisor and make a complaint... That is absolutely ridiculous and inappropriate. Hopefully when the doctor comes back to see you, they can help straighten out the issue and be done with it. Good for you for not being pushed around by the nursing staff.

I made a complaint after my OB had their supervisor pay me a visit. The nurse kissed my rear after that. We've opted to try the go meds and I asked to go home since they're working decently. I'll have to have non stress tests twice this week and twice next before my scheduled c on 11/10. Hopefully it holds me over through the process.
    I've just never met nurses like those in my life.
  • Abonsut said:

Going to be waaaay unpopular, but if a doc wanted me to allow a patient to do something that I know is harmful, no way, no how am I going to let that happen. Once your bp was stabilized and treated, fine, but not until then. Your rn has a license to protect too and trust me, not all doctors make good decisions all of the time.

What is harmful of getting real life blood pressures as opposed to never going to happen outside of the hospital blood pressures? The blood pressures from making me lay on my left side for 40 minutes in no way reflected real life and IMO and that of my OBs would be more harmful as it brushed off a real issue as something minor at most. Going by blood pressures I cannot obtain outside of that hospital bed would leave my hypertension (which is clearly an issue since I was having multiple as high as 181/108) untreated which leave me vulnerable to seizures (which would be extremely harmful to my unborn child). So I'm not sure where allowing me to stand up and adjust my pillows or wash my hands before taking my bp would put her license at risk as those tasks are much less strenuous than my daily activities.
  • mamavbs said:

MoRay05 said:

Yeah it was! Here is some info from March of Dimes.

Here's why your baby needs 39 weeks:
    - Important organs, like his brain, lungs and liver, get the time they need to develop.
    - He is less likely to have vision and hearing problems after birth.
    - He has time to gain more weight in the womb. Babies born at a healthy weight have an easier time staying warm than babies born too small.
    - He can suck and swallow and stay awake long enough to eat after he's born. Babies born early sometimes can't do these things.

And an article from ACOG - https://m.acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Room/News-Releases/2013/Ob-Gyns-Redefine-Meaning-of-Term-Pregnancy

I think more and more people are scheduling induction/cesarean to get a due date they want (vanity date) or for their personal covenience. This change was made to help discourage that.
    My Dr can't even talk about a scheduled induction before 39 weeks. I reminded him how big my first was and he told me that he might induce at 39 weeks, no not this time unless medically necessary.

As a nurse this concerns me very much. I understand your doctor wants to get correct and accurate readings on your blood pressure but I think maybe the nurses are also concerned about yours and LOs immediate safety. You said yourself the high BP is causing dizzy/fainting spells and could cause seizure so I think that is pretty significant to the nurses. I think what you need to do is ask them the schedule for the vital sign checks that way you can prepare and be SITTING and active about 15 minutes before it is time. But up and active isn't something you should even want to be right now if it's causing your BP to go that high and cause those symptoms. Maybe if your BP is not being regulated properly with the medication and you cannot get out of bed without it going that high you should be put on bed rest for the safety of you and your baby. I don't think the nurses should be asking you to lay on your side to get a better reading though. But you have the right to refuse to do that. Also, make sure the nurses are doing bedside shift report. That means every shift change the day nurse comes in with the night nurse and gives a full report of your issues and care. This is usually a requirement at most hospitals though manh nurses dont do it. Make it a point to your nurse now ymthat you want this to ve done every single shift change. At this time you can express your concerns to the incoming nurse and discuss your doctors orders with them. But still, you probably shouldn't be up and active if your BP is that bad.
  • Agree with pp. The bigger issue is being up and about and that high at all. Being able to demonstrate that with rest/ treatment your bp is lower is helpful to demonstrate that something has to be done. That being said, treatment needs to be a joint venture between the patient, the doctor, and the nurses with each party communicating clearly with the others. That's something for each of us to keep in mind.
  • Glad you got things sorted out! That's great! Hope the meds keep working to keep you and baby safe at home.

I'm all for a nurse doing what she needs to do to protect herself. Then again, I think communicating appropriately was the issue here, not so much neglecting your responsibilities as a nurse.
  • ewhitledgeewhitledge member
    edited October 2015
    I feel like if being up and active is bringing your pressure that high then you probably should be on bedrest. I understand it's not very feasible with your life situation but if it's what doc ends up saying you need and you don't do it that is AMA. I think this may be what the nurses are trying to do is keep you in bed as much as possible for the safety of you and baby.

ETA: obviously I'm not your provider and don't know your vitals/labs but I do know there's set parameters they have to meet before they can induce you and I know it's frustrating but it's just how it is.
  • baylorlindabaylorlinda member
    edited October 2015
    If your BP has been greater than 160/110, then you need to be delivered. If you were treated with magnesium, I can only assume you have severe preeclampsia. It doesn't matter that your urine protein is less than 0.3.

You are term (37 weeks) with preeclampsia-the recommendation by ACOG is delivery. The BP meds will just mask your high blood pressure. Don't let them send you home. I would want the repeat c section now. Preeclampsia does not get better with time; it only gets worse.

EDited for spelling
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh I agree with pp.   So sorry you are having to deal with this!   Sending good thoughts for you and baby and a healthy safe delivery very soon mama. :)
  • Abonsut said:

Going to be waaaay unpopular, but if a doc wanted me to allow a patient to do something that I know is harmful, no way, no how am I going to let that happen. Once your bp was stabilized and treated, fine, but not until then. Your rn has a license to protect too and trust me, not all doctors make good decisions all of the time.

I don't think this is an UO at all. However, from what it sounds like, op's situation was about the nurses trying to get better bp readings instead of the more realistic readings. It was making it seem like her bp was under control and easily regulated when in fact she wasn't able to do normal daily things without it spiking.
    Glad it seems to be working out now @tugskenyonkel+1 Hopefully your bp is maintained for next couple of weeks!
  • If your BP has been greater than 160/110, then you need to be delivered. If you were treated with magnesium, I can only assume you have severe preeclampsia. It doesn't matter that your urine protein is less than 0.3.

You are term (37 weeks) with preeclampsia-the recommendation by ACOG is delivery. The BP meds will just mask your high blood pressure. Don't let them send you home. I would want the repeat c section now. Preeclampsia does not get better with time; it only gets worse.

EDited for spelling

That's what I thought but hospital policy where my OB delivers requires that the urine protein be elevated to at least .3 before he delivers. Which is quite frustrating (I'm stalled at .28)

The bp meds are helping some. I can now being laying down or sitting (for several minutes before bp is taken) and have decent blood pressure readings but am still high if its taken within a few minutes of me being up at all. I do intend to call my OB in the morning though as the meds make me feel awful.

We've been set up with bed rest (to the best of my ability), bi weekly non stress tests, and weekly BPP with my weekly appointments until 11/10 when we plan to deliver. Today's non stress test was fine and he passed the BPP in the last two minutes making three jerky movements but the tech was not pleased with passing him. His movement has decreased over the past week and a half. We are all a bit worried that him staying in may be worse than him coming now but I fall just outside of the hospitals regulations on every reason to deliver early. (You'd think riding the line on so many issues would give just cause but they are quite strict)
  • baylorlindabaylorlinda member
    edited October 2015
    Of course the BP meds are helping! They are masking your true BP readings. If your BP is high enough that they put you on magnesium, then you qualify for severe preeclampsia. The importance of urine protein creatinine ratio greater than 0.3 is making the diagnosis of gestational hypertension versus preeclampsia. Either one would still mean delivery at 37 weeks. Take a look at the patient information from ACOG (American congress of obstetrics and gynecology)

https://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Preeclampsia-and-High-Blood-Pressure-During-Pregnancy
  • Of course the BP meds are helping! They are masking your true BP readings. If your BP is high enough that they put you on magnesium, then you qualify for severe preeclampsia. The importance of urine protein creatinine ratio greater than 0.3 is making the diagnosis of gestational hypertension versus preeclampsia. Either one would still mean delivery at 37 weeks. Take a look at the patient information from ACOG (American congress of obstetrics and gynecology)

https://m.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Preeclampsia-and-High-Blood-Pressure-During-Pregnancy

I'll bring this up when I phone them tomorrow. It bothers me that this is a recommendation but by the ACOG but not being followed by the hospital I'll deliver at.
  • Of course the BP meds are helping! They are masking your true BP readings. If your BP is high enough that they put you on magnesium, then you qualify for severe preeclampsia. The importance of urine protein creatinine ratio greater than 0.3 is making the diagnosis of gestational hypertension versus preeclampsia. Either one would still mean delivery at 37 weeks. Take a look at the patient information from ACOG (American congress of obstetrics and gynecology)

I'll bring this up when I phone them tomorrow. It bothers me that this is a recommendation but by the ACOG but not being followed by the hospital I'll deliver at.
    Your hospital is not following the new recommendations. ACOG put out a task force bulletin on hypertension in pregnancy in November 2013. Even if they can't say you have preeclampsia, it seems like you have gestational hypertension. Gestational hypertension and mild preeclampsia are treated the same as both have similar outcomes. Delivery is recommended at 37 weeks. It is not necessary to wait until 39 weeks. The 39 weeks rule only applies to elective repeat c sections or inductions of labor. You have a medical indication for early delivery at 37 weeks.

Is there maternal fetal medicine (high risk OB) that your doctor can consult and get the OK from? sometimes that will trump stupid outdated hospital policy. Good luck! I hope they figure this out sooner rather than later.

Your hospital is not following the new recommendations. ACOG put out a task force bulletin on hypertension in pregnancy in November 2013. Even if they can't say you have preeclampsia, it seems like you have gestational hypertension. Gestational hypertension and mild preeclampsia are treated the same as both have similar outcomes. Delivery is recommended at 37 weeks. It is not necessary to wait until 39 weeks. The 39 weeks rule only applies to elective repeat c sections or inductions of labor. You have a medical indication for early delivery at 37 weeks.

Is there maternal fetal medicine (high risk OB) that your doctor can consult and get the OK from? sometimes that will trump stupid outdated hospital policy. Good luck! I hope they figure this out sooner rather than later.
    I ended up back at l&d on 10/27 and delivered on 10/28 because my urine protein went from .28 at 2pm on 10/27 to .35 at 10pm on 10/27 accompanied with extreme vomiting, several hours of high blood pressure readings, and upper right quadrant pain. They officially gave me the preeclampsia diagnosis. They also found during my c section that I had a slight placenta abruption and my uterus was very thin so its probably a really good thing they took him when they did.
  • Congrats on your little one.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I'm glad everything worked out well in the end. Congrats!