January 2016 Moms
Options

FTM and pediatricians

So are you ladies doing an interview with possible pediatricians or are you just picking one? DH and I have researched and found one that looks very appealing and they get great reviews and we also found out they are the doctors at the hospital that will see the baby when he is delivered. I think we have decided that they are the ones we are going with. So how important is it to do an interview?

Re: FTM and pediatricians

• Options
    I found it to be very helpful. There were a lot of questions my husband had that you couldn't find the answers to online. Also it is a good way to see the office and staff. We went early to see how long others had to wait in the waiting room and see what stuff they had to entertain children while waiting. I don't think it is needed but you can definitely get a lot of information by doing an interview. This is my third and we have had the same doctor and I love him and his whole office!
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    I did not interview ours for DD (now 17 mo) but had friends that spoke highly of the practice. I briefly met ours years earlier at a get together and remember liking her so that helped me narrow it down to the one. I'd see if you can also get some first hand accounts/reviews from people you know rather than just the Internet. If that Dr does a meet/greet or interview I don't think it would hurt just to make sure you don't get a negative vibe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read a lot of online reviews and had a couple personal recommendations for the pediatrician we ended up choosing. My hubby and I did meet with him once before choosing him. It was nice to ask him a few questions on his view on vaccines, parenting, breastfeeding, etc. He gave me several book recommendations and I felt like that gave me a great idea of his child care view and how compatible we were. We've never been disappointed with him or his office!

• Options
    I did interview ours and I'm glad we did. It made me feel at ease even though Ours was recommended by our obgyn and many other people in the area. In fact they are full as of now and they are no longer taking new patients. I'm using them with my next even though we have moved and it's a 25 minute drive from our house. ( there are places closer but I love the practice).
  • Options
    With my DD I chose her's by going online to the site for the hospital entity the doctors worked for. They had interviews for each one you could watch. I picked my DD's based on how the doctor handles kiddos with behavioral issues because of family history. She is very hands on and into not medicating kiddos which is what I was looking for and she has more resources for kiddos with behavioral issues.
  • Options
    Oh yea if you like/respect your OB get his/her recommendation and ask her if she knows anything about the one you've narrowed it down to.
  • Options
    We had a local friend recommend to us and have an interview set up for next week. I just have a few questions but mostly just want a feel for the staff. 
  • Options
    Yeah I think we will interview the dr. I don't really want to say they are the ones and find out I really don't like them. The biggest bonus with that practice is they are open 7 days a week so they will always be available.
  • Options
    You guys are so lucky. Having military insurance, they choose the pediatrician which really doesn't sit well with me. Hopefully whoever we are assigned to we really like!
  • Options
    With DS I did not do interviews but looked at reviews. You can always switch pediatricians even though it's something I personally wouldn't want to do either.

We moved to STL from FL about a year ago and I got lucky enough to find an even better pediatrician here. The staff are all wonderful and she seems to genuinely care about every child. My other pediatrician was hard to get a hold of to schedule "same day" appointments but I never had more than 2 of those and all of them were really for urgencies like high fever and breathing difficulties during his first year. :-S it really shouldn't be a "hassle" to see your pediatrcian for those symptoms. So glad I made the switch but I'm learning more as STM soon. Baby Olivia will be going to the same pedi as DS