Multiples
Options

Rh negative and twins

Hi everybody,

Please forgive me for just flying into your board, not even introducing myself, but I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind sharing your wisdom.  This is a question regarding my cousin, but my own concerns and fears for her.  She's pregnant with twins after 2 round of IVF.  She's about 7 or 8 weeks along.

This morning she woke up to tons of blood.  Rushed to ER, did an ultrasound and so far, both babies are still there with heartbeats.  But, they said she is O-, and gave her a shot of Rho-GAM.  She spoke with her OB and they said to ask if they could test her husbands blood also, but the ER said no, they weren't concerned about his blood.  (I would have thought this would have all been tested ahead of time, since she was going through IVF...but what do I know??)

From what I've read, this is a problem with the mother's blood and baby's blood mix, which doesn't happen all the time, so usually a shot is just done after the birth.  (This happened with my mother who is negative, after she has my older brother, so then she could carry me without a problem.)

So after she has the Rho-GAM shot, I know nothing is guaranteed, but, should this stop a MC if her body was starting to get rid of the foreign bodies?

I'm waiting to hear from her, she's going to her regular OB in 1/2 hour, but I'm concerned of course!  I sent her to this board the other day, she's not much of a message board person, but I really think this would help her out a lot!

Thank you all!

Re: Rh negative and twins

• Options

Not prognant with multiples but stumbled upon this post.  Rhogam will only prevent your body from creating the antibodies that would prevent further pregnancies of opposite blood type children.  It will not prevent a miscarriage.  But, I do want to give your cousin hope.  With my first I had multiple instances of bleeding and received a total of 3 rhogam shots during my pregnancy and I had a healthy little girl.  She may want to reduce the activities she is doing and limit the weight she carries and do things seated as much as possible as those helped with mine.  Hope that helps.

-Beth

• Options

Deal lord, how did I miss that one...

I meant pregnant not prognant!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the bleeding had anything to do with her blood type. I am RH negative and have received the Rhogam shot three times during this pregnancy (twice after procedures and once at 28 weeks). The shot will prevent her body from making antibodies against the babies' blood should it have mixed. They never tested my DH although we know he is O+. It is my understanding that they treat all RH- women as if they are carrying a RH+ baby. As long as her initial prenatal testing did not show that she has already produced antibodies against positive blood, she should be ok. I think a miscarriage would be unrelated to blood type. Not sure if I am 100% correct, but hope this helps a bit.
  • Options
    I am Rh negative and my doctor said I will get the rhogam shot at 28 weeks and again after the babies are born..sorry I am not more help...I hope everything works out for your cousin!
  • Options

Thanks everybody!  I am trying to do some more reading up on it...as I sit here and wait very impatiently!!!  I know how much she wants these babies (she's 40 years old, been wanting children forever), so I'm just worried sick. 

I'll come back and let you all know how it worked out.  Please keep her in your thoughts!

• Options

Ok, update.

After reading everything you all wrote, and doing some research, and speaking further with her, I have more clarification.

Like some of you said, the negative RH has nothing to do with the bleeding.  The shot was given because of the bleeding.

She hasn't bled since she's been home for the past few hours, so that I guess is good.  Her doctor said there was no reason to come in since she had been to the ER, if she was going to MC, she was going to MC and there was nothing they could do about it. 

She was supposed to go on a trip with her husband back to his home country, leaving on Sunday, but she can't go now obviously.  And, she's still taking her shots from the IVF each night, so it looks like I'm on call for that.  (I've had to give her 2, not my favorite thing to do!!)

It's just a wait and see game right now, hoping for the best, prepared for the worse.  I know I sound like I'm all up in her business ;) but like I said, she grew up like a sister to me and we share everything.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers still!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"