Baby Names
Options

Name meanings

How important to you in naming your baby is the meaning?

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name meanings

• Options
    Not really at all. To be honest, I don't know the meaning of my daughter's name. I should look it up:)
    photo 146-1-1.jpgphoto 102_0857-2.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It's about 25% of the reason I choose a name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was very important to me. I only considered names that had either great meanings or family significance (and ended up with both for both my daughters).
  • Options
    @kanga915 did you choose the meaning first and look up what names meant that or did you choose names you liked and then check if you liked the meaning? Did you wait to see if the baby's appearance fit the meaning? (I know parents who wait to meet the baby to name him or her.)

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It factored into the decision for sure but it was mostly to make sure it didn't mean anything negative or ridiculous.
  • Options
    If i like the name and am indifferent to the meaning, its alright with me. 
    But if i love the meaning and feel okay about the name, it goes onto the maybe list.
  • Options
    Meaning was just a nice bonus for me. Though DH liked the name Abigail and loved it even more when he learned it meant something about father's love or something like that.

We had two names for each sex, though a strong preference, and waited til baby arrived to be sure our favorite name fit him.
  • Options
    I have no idea what DD's name means, didn't even think to look up the meanings.
  • Options
    Name meaning had the most influence on the choice when that name was already on the fence anyway. We have discarded names because of the meaning, and have ended up liking names more after learning a meaning. But with names we loved to begin with, meaning didn't matter very much. The name I really wanted for a daughter has a couple of meanings people would consider negative, but I still would have used the name anyway. We ended up having a boy and as a bonus the meaning for his name is one we quite like and think suits us as a family

We chose names and then looked up meanings. And like @virginiaunicorn11 we had a small list of 2 names and waited until baby was born to decide.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing opinions. Curious what the negative meanings were, @mellymar and @SmrBrd2012

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    The name I liked for my girl meant 'bitter' or 'bitterness' and was associated with grief in a biblical story. I still would have used it, though.
  • Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited October 2015
    It was a bonus for us. However meaning can also rule out a name for me - Mallory is pretty but naming a child "unfortunate" isn't something I can do.
    That said, we named DD Lillian Kay:
    Lillian - from the lily, symbol of innocence and purity.
    Kay - from Katherine, meaning purity.
    So yeah... Pure Pure :)
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    Well, who'd a thunk it.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I honestly could care less of the meaning when I named my children. I chose their names because I personally just liked them.
  • Options
    It means a lot to me. But I'm big on symbolism. 
  • Options
    I don't choose names based on meanings but I do veto them if I don't care for the meaning. One of the names I liked meant "bald," so I scrapped that one.
  • Options
    I like to know the meaning of the names I choose, but I didn't look for names that meant a particular thing.
    I like to choose based on history of a name (historical role models, family history, mythological characters). I might rule out a name if it had an unfortunate meaning.

But my own name is old enough that no one knows the meaning it could mean sea of bitterness or wished for child or rebelliousness or beloved depending on which language you think the name originated from.
  • Options
    Fairy important. It's definitely one of the things I look at. But if I LOVED a name and didn't *love* the meaning I wouldn't be deterred. But I prob couldn't love a name if I hated the meaning.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    I don't choose names for my list BECAUSE of the meaning, but I do check the meanings on names before adding.

I'd hate for my kid to look up their name meaning one day and see that it is something negative
  • Options
    @little_bren A huge part. As in, we kind of make a short list and start looking at the meaning. If I don't like the meaning, It is done for. Period.
  • Options
    Only a little important.  We picked names and then checked out their meanings.

Both of my kids have names that are traditional, recognizable names that, according to Behind The Name, have been used as first names since about the time of the Protestant Reformation, but are based on older Greek/Arabic words.  I am a total dork about etymology, and I would have nixed a name if it meant something negative or off-putting.  But there were other factors I considered first.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    It's not terribly significant to me though I do like there to be a positive meaning. If I liked the name well enough it wouldn't matter unless it meant something terrible. I never looked into my son's name meaning until recently, but it happens to be lovely and it did make me happier with our choice.
  • Options
    Interesting. Thanks for the thoughts, ladies.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It didn't factor into our naming. I know what the meaning is of my name, and don't care. I don't know what the meaning of my kids name is, because I didnt bother looking. I just went with a name that we liked, and that sounded good with our last name, and thats about it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Not of huge importance but a nice morning is a bonus. For the longest time we were going with Gabriel which has biblical meaning. We are not religious and don't beleive in God but I would have used it anyways simply because I loved the sound of the name.
    We are gong with Charlie for a boy which means "free man" of Claire for a girl which means "clear and bright". So both of those were great bonuses
  • Options
    Really important for me - why would you give your child a name which has bad attributes or characteristics?! I'm a strong believer that names matter like that. I've known too many people with a certain name who share certain characteristics.

Also important to me is family tradition/culture and in my culture, naming in memory and respect of a deceased relative.