June 2015 Moms

Making baby food

I have decided I wanted to try making my LOs baby food. We will be staring baby food in a week or so and I wanted to get a head start. My mother in law said she would like to buy us a baby bullet or food processor or whatever we wanted. What did y'all find the most useful?

Re: Making baby food

• I'm not too familiar with the baby bullet but in addition to a blending apparatus you'll also need a steamer if you don't already have one. I think maybe there are baby food makers that do both?
  • Loading the player...
  • I got the baby bullet at my baby shower. I haven't used it yet but from what I've heard and read they are amazing!
  • I just started making some baby food this afternoon. I also have a baby bullet. I opened the box and decided I'm going to return it. I have a hand held blender that works wonderful and you can whiz the food up in the pot you steamed in- less mess. I personally think the baby bullet is a waste of money.
  • I'm thinking about trying baby led weening. Something worth looking into. There's a ton of info online.
  • We used the baby Beaba with DS1 and really liked it. After a few months though, it started to leak a bit. I eventually found black spots in the hot water reservoir used to steam and threw it out. I was cleaning it per the recommendations, but, from what reviews I've read, this seems to be a common problem with any baby food maker that steams that way. Not sure what we will do this time!
  • I'm making all my baby good but the cereal, she started cereal last night :) loved it... If you make baby food in advance, how long can you freeze it for?
  • I really enjoyed the book "Blender Baby Food" for DD, and plan to use it again. PP are right...ice cube trays, quart bags, sharpie, regular blender, freezer.
  • becacote said:
    I'm thinking about trying baby led weening. Something worth looking into. There's a ton of info online.
    DH and I plan on doing this. It seems so much easier, less expensive, and a really great way to cultivate healthy eating habits. Of course I'm not at all saying BLW is the only way to do this, but the people I know who used this approach had huge success with it.