April 2016 Moms
Options

Let's talk about snacks, baby...

...lets talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be...

But seriously. Snacks. I need ideas. I am eating so much this pregnancy. By 10:00 I have had breakfast, 2 snacks, and usually finish my lunch. I need more food! And I'm bored of my go-to snacks. I'm still wanting carbs and, surprisingly, salty foods (and still nothing too healthy! I have packed and unpacked my celery, carrots, and hummus snack several days now. I have the best of intentions though...)

My go-to snacks have been fruit, berries and almonds, crackers and cheese, granola bar, popcorn, veggies and hummus (or not), celery/apples and pb, trail mix. What am I missing? I need better ideas!

Re: Let's talk about snacks, baby...

• Options
    I like yogurt with fresh strawberries, string cheese, and walnuts. You could do pb sandwich, fruit salad, raisins, ummmmm....that's all I got right now. Maybe check Pinterest for some healthy snack ideas.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of food, but I make sure to snack on fruits, veggies, and something with peanut butter every day, and make sure my meals have grains so baby gets everything she needs.
    Plus, I have a smoothie that hits dairy, fruit, and protien marks first thing every morning!
    Definitely veggies, fruits, granola bars, nuts... I mean, I can't think of anything you aren't already eating! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's what I figured. But for some reason it all sounds so much more appealing when other people name foods!

Does anybody know how long guacamole keeps? If I threw it together the night before or in the morning would it still be good come the afternoon? It would be in my lunchbox with only an ice pack...
  • Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, babybel cheese have all been go-tos for me. I also love the Kashi bars, recent purchases have been pumpkin flax and chocolate chia.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I've been in a cucumber and ranch snack kick the last few days. I've also been packing like 3 or 4 clementines.
  • Options

I've been in a cucumber and ranch snack kick the last few days. I've also been packing like 3 or 4 clementines.

Oh this too. I went crazy on the raw green peppers and cucumbers with ranch at a get together Tuesday, and I take 2 clementines to work every day. Also green grapes.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I love clementines! I take at least 2 to work as well. I've also been snacking on Fiber One bars (extra fiber FTW!), rice cakes, nuts, and apples. Graham crackers are my weakness, I really just need to stop buying them.

I usually love yogurt with strawberries but lately I've only been satisfied by crunchy things.
  • Options
    @jhmb2012 just FYI fiber bars are fortified with chicory root, which is potentially unsafe in pregnancy. Not to be dramatic because I'm sure the occasional fiber one bar is NBD, but I wouldn't go overboard eating tons of them :-)

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Good to know @pinottoparenthood thanks!
  • Options
    Clementines! Great idea.
  • Options
    I usually bring cashews, cheese or Luna protein bars. And sometimes cookies!
  • Options
    Kashi cookies are great! I also like fruit leathers.
  • Options
    Duendef said:

That's what I figured. But for some reason it all sounds so much more appealing when other people name foods!

Does anybody know how long guacamole keeps? If I threw it together the night before or in the morning would it still be good come the afternoon? It would be in my lunchbox with only an ice pack...

If you're going to eat it that afternoon, yes. It tends to start turning brown after about 20 hours.
  • Options
    GRANNY SMITH APPLES!!!!
  • Options
    Sharp cheddar cheese, Babybel Gouda, Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, Larabars, hummus and carrots, hard boiled egg, egg salad with avocado, guacamole (I eat it by the spoonful rather than on chips). If it's an after work snack, then a banana smoothie with a little peanut or almond butter.
  • Options
    Duendef said:

...lets talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be...

But seriously. Snacks. I need ideas. I am eating so much this pregnancy. By 10:00 I have had breakfast, 2 snacks, and usually finish my lunch. I need more food! And I'm bored of my go-to snacks. I'm still wanting carbs and, surprisingly, salty foods (and still nothing too healthy! I have packed and unpacked my celery, carrots, and hummus snack several days now. I have the best of intentions though...)

My go-to snacks have been fruit, berries and almonds, crackers and cheese, granola bar, popcorn, veggies and hummus (or not), celery/apples and pb, trail mix. What am I missing? I need better ideas!

I think your snacks are pretty good!
    My go tos are crackers, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, Luna bars, nuts.
  • Options
    Lightly salted dried seaweed (or gim) are my favorites. They come in small packages so you can pack 'em for lunch or as a snack. Tomatoes with a touch of salt. Grapes 'n cheese. Prosciutto and melon/honey dew.
    Dried fruits, esp. dried mangos from the phillipines.
  • Options
    kimey1 said:
    Lightly salted dried seaweed (or gim) are my favorites. They come in small packages so you can pack 'em for lunch or as a snack. Tomatoes with a touch of salt. Grapes 'n cheese. Prosciutto and melon/honey dew. Dried fruits, esp. dried mangos from the phillipines.
    I need this NOW. With a side of cottage cheese. My go to snack is buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil. In fact, I think I'll help myself to some right now...even though it's 11 o clock at night.  
  • Options
    Avocado with salsa and goat cheese.
  • Options
    Duendef said:

Ugh I make guacamole every damn day of my life, I cannot stand the thought of eating it right now haha the guac should still be fine, add maybe an extra ice pack or so. The browning of the guac does not mean it's spoiled. As soon as the avocado hits the air so to speak, it begins oxidizing, so the brown is inevitable. There are tricks to keeping the guac from browning 1. Add extra lemon/lime juice by lowering the pH 2. Keep the pit in your guac 3. Air tight your guac by Saran wrapping the top of the guac. Push down so there are no air bubbles
  • Options
    I haven't been in the mood for snacking a lot. Struggling to make sure I get enough of everything every day. I snack on yogurt with strawberries, apples, clementines, popcorn and honeydew melon. :P

• Options
    I have been craving Doritos (original not cool ranch).  My husband noted that in the 16 years he has known me (met freshman year of college) he has never seen me eat one until now.  

To keep guacamole from changing color keep the seed/pit from the avocado and leave it in the dip.  To keep avocados from going brown (if you only use half) put the seed/pit back in. 
  • Options
    Now this song is stuck in my head a'la Pitch Perfect sing off battle style.. :P
  • Options
    Also, popcorn is a favorite snack of mine. I also like croutons. That crunch!

I just made myself spaghetti meat sauce to eat without any noodles.. delish.
  • Options
    I was struggling with nausea and morning sickness… my OBGYN’s nurse said to eat a small snack every 1-2 hours, make sure to include protein (not just sugar and carbs).  She suggested these snacks:
    • Greek yogurt
    • String cheese
    • Peanut butter on fruit
    • Hard boiled eggs
    • Granola bars
    • Nuts

I live in the Midwest so our Honeycrisp apples are particularly yummy right now - I combine that with peanut butter.  I found these also help to tie me over:
    • Box of raisins
    • Bagel with cream cheese
    • Mini Saltines (they sell these at Target - so yummy!)
    • Nature Valley Protein Bars
    • Cheese and grapes
    • Did I mention apples?! I'm obsessed with them right now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Peanut butter balls! A girl on my last BMB made these and I love them. Mix peanut butter and honey, add cranberries, chocolate chips, and oats and roll into balls. Refrigerate. They freeze well too. I'll see if I can find the exact recipe...
  • Options

Peanut butter balls! A girl on my last BMB made these and I love them. Mix peanut butter and honey, add cranberries, chocolate chips, and oats and roll into balls. Refrigerate. They freeze well too. I'll see if I can find the exact recipe...

Oh man that made me drool. I am so making these!

• Options

I was struggling with nausea and morning sickness… my OBGYN’s nurse said to eat a small snack every 1-2 hours, make sure to include protein (not just sugar and carbs).  She suggested these snacks:

• Greek yogurt
    • String cheese
    • Peanut butter on fruit
    • Hard boiled eggs
    • Granola bars
    • Nuts

I live in the Midwest so our Honeycrisp apples are particularly yummy right now - I combine that with peanut butter.  I found these also help to tie me over:
    • Box of raisins
    • Bagel with cream cheese
    • Mini Saltines (they sell these at Target - so yummy!)
    • Nature Valley Protein Bars
    • Cheese and grapes
    • Did I mention apples?! I'm obsessed with them right now.

Ugh I miss honeycrisp apples almost as much as I miss cheese curds. Southerners just don't understand! :'(
  • Options
    Thx @nicolepineapple for writing apples w/ peanut butter. I'm not a fan of the sour green apples DH bought. I know how to eat em now :) Yay!!
  • Options
    Costco and target sell these individual guac cups.. They don't have a ton of junk in them, just avocado and seasonings.. You might consider them for lunches.. We keep em in the freezer for emergency guac moments!
  • Options
    Bought the stuff for homemade hummus, now I just have to actually make it. It's so tough pouring those couple cans and ingredients in the blender... ;)
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bring a lunchbox filled with snacks. I think nearly all of the ones I rotate have been mentioned - carrots, tomatoes, apples, bananas with almond butter, string cheese, popcorn, larabars, and protein bars.

For a slightly sweet treat, I made pumpkin oatmeal muffins: https://www.kimscravings.com/2013/10/baked-pumpkin-oatmeal-muffins/