Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding in public

My boy is 10 days old and I'm scared of having to breastfeed in public so I'm stuck at home and this is making me anxious. Any helpful suggestions on what I can do to overcome this?

Re: Breastfeeding in public

• Options
    I would wear a tshirt over a nursing tank so I could keep my postpartum belly covered. Once my son was latched on initially no one would even notice. Some women find practicing in front of a mirror makes them feel more comfortable going out.
    Honestly I've nursed in public for two years now and never had a negative comment!
  • Options
    I've been pretty nervous about this too. I bought a cover thinking it wouldn't really be a big deal when he got here. I've nurses him once outside of my house. No negative comments. I had someone offer me an empty office though. (I was basically done at that point). Anyway, can you breastfeed at your parent's house? Or a good friend's house? I do it at my parents a lot so it has gotten me a little more comfortable with doing it when others are around. To be honest though I just try to make any trip out of the house short enough that I can do it between feedings. My LO is 5.5 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the wearing a tank under your shirt. When you want to nurse, pull the shirt up and the tank down. The only thing that will be exposed is where your babies head will be. It helps me feel better.
    I also use a cover. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I haven't gotten any negative looks so far. In the beginning I nursed in my car a lot. It's just where I felt comfortable. Maybe you could try that at first?
    Good luck to you. I understand how you feel. : )
  • Options
    Go to the mall! My mall has two really nice nursing rooms. They are fully private with a rocker, changing table dimmed lights and sink. This is where we started and felt comfortable, then we bought a really good cover that was breathable and we were able to see each other from the top and now I can nurse every where. I will also go out to my car and nurse depending on where we are and how hot it is. I keep a pillow and blanket in it
  • Options
    Definitely get nursing tops and wear a t-shirt over. I even wear just a nursing top now without the t-shirt - it just got too hot to wear a couple of layers! Also, button down shirts have always been my favourite, and I find that wearing them is easier and you can re-button if necessary. I've only ever had positive comments about BF in public. And if somebody stares, I just give them a smile and carry on with my business.
  • Options
    At only a few days old, I'm impressed that you are ready to leave the house! I started bf in public with a small trip. I wouldn't do all our grocery shopping since you'll likely have perishable items and might want to leave. I'd start with somewhere baby friendly - like Babies R Us or Target. BRU has a mother's room and you can use a dressing room at Target. Both stores have policies about letting moms nurse anywhere.  Since they are everywhere, there is probably one by you.
  • Options
    I was also a bit hesitant but eventually found the "Bebe au Lait" cover and now I breastfeed anywhere. In the middle of a packed restaurant with a business crowd at lunch was my most recent outing and it was totally fine. I got some friendly smiles and a weird smik, but overall I've stopped caring. :D The more we do it, the less weird it will be for everyone, so power to ya! 
  • Options
    I agree with the worry about feeding in public. My main concern is the wrap cover I have (scarf turns into a cover) is great but LO gets so hot under there and getting him latched is tough so I end up needing to put my head under the whole thing to see just causing a scene and now so easy
  • Options
    My kids are 4 years apart and every baby is different so even though I had it down 3years ago, I felt like such a klutz with DS2.

With both I started in a dressing room, the car, somewhere semi-private. It gave me a feeling of security at first and gives you practice nursing out of your comfort zone. You learn how to hold baby without the pillows or stool or whatever you rely on at home. If that seems too daunting, try changing it up at home. Move a kitchen chair in front of a mirror. If you plan on using a cover definitely practice with that! Good luck!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was super proud of myself for breastfeeding in public for the first time last weekend at 15 weeks PP. We were on a trip so I BF in the airport, on the plane, at an old folks home, everywhere. I got the Bebe Au Lait cover, it's awesome. You can see down it, it's big, and I noticed that when I went to put it over my head people pretty much really tried to avert their eyes. Perfect. Honestly I am not sure I could have done it at 10 days old, BFing was so hard initially! He would keep latching and unlatching and it took forever. Just try it when you're ready. Find a quiet corner and go for it. It was 200 times less bad than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    I was nervous at first but then I realized that I am keeping my baby human alive and everyone can suck it. Haha. I figure if people don't like it, they can look away. It is natural and there is way too much of a negative stigma about breasts! I never used a cover just because it was too hot for my babe.
  • Options
    I BF in public with a cover at the state fair and the zoo! No one said anything (or stared from what I could tell). I am feeling much more confident now!
  • Options
    As the months go by the more comfortable you will feel. My lo is 5 months and I am more comfortable going out and feeding him in public now. Was intimidating in beginning and it's hard to in beginning when you are both learning