Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Rock N' Play

My son is 11 days and has been on the fussy side since he was born. The past two days though have been a real challenge as he won't sleep at all in his bassinet (pack n' play bassinet). The only place we can get him to sleep other than in someone's arms is in the RNP. I know there is a ton of controversy over letting babies sleep in the RNP, which makes me feel really guilty about letting him sleep in there, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on alternatives to the RNP or how to get him back into his PNP bassinet? If I were to guess, his fussiness stems from gas, so we've been by bicycling his legs, being more diligent with his burping and I picked up some gas drops this evening. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Rock N' Play

• No advice to get him out... since my LO is 6 weeks and has only slept in the RnP lol. I just try to do naps in the pack n play when I can... and occasionally if lo goes to bed early I'll put him in the pack n play for his first stretch of sleep. I know some of the controversy comes from the idea that they could develop a flat spot on their head, but I think that was associated with older models.

Another concern is creating a difficult transition back to the crib or pack n play, but honestly for me, I'll deal with that issue when it comes. It makes more sense to me to have that battle when hes sleeping a little better. If he's getting up every 2-3 hours to eat already, I'm taking the sleep any way I can get it right now... and I'm doing it guilt free. These first several weeks are pure survival mode... do what you got to do lol!
  • I have no advice to add except know you're not alone because we are in the same exact boat :( and it's pure luck when she even sleeps in the rock n play..
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice to get him out... since my LO is 6 weeks and has only slept in the RnP lol. I just try to do naps in the pack n play when I can... and occasionally if lo goes to bed early I'll put him in the pack n play for his first stretch of sleep. I know some of the controversy comes from the idea that they could develop a flat spot on their head, but I think that was associated with older models.

Another concern is creating a difficult transition back to the crib or pack n play, but honestly for me, I'll deal with that issue when it comes. It makes more sense to me to have that battle when hes sleeping a little better. If he's getting up every 2-3 hours to eat already, I'm taking the sleep any way I can get it right now... and I'm doing it guilt free. These first several weeks are pure survival mode... do what you got to do lol!

Me exactly only my LO is 5 weeks
  • I didn't even buy one bc I didn't think they looked very safe. That being said I know there are TONS of people who use them and without issue. My LO wouldn't use the pack n play bassinet either so we bought an actual bassinet which she slept in until about 3 weeks ago (She's 13 weeks). She now sleeps just fine in the pack n play - I'm not ready to have her in her crib yet lol
  • We were in that exact same scenario. We bought a pack n play for our twins, but they absolutely would not sleep in it. They would scream nonstop when we put them flat. So, much like everyone else, we had them sleep in Rock n Plays until they were 3 months. They slept so well in them (with SwaddleMe's), but then they started to get too big. We started transitioning them to cribs by doing naps during the day in the cribs. After a week of crib naps, they fully transitioned to sleeping in their cribs. These are some of the good tricks: https://www.theydontfeedthemselves.com/transitioning-twins-to-cribs/ Good luck, mamas!

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• Thanks for all of the support ladies! Sounds like we'll use the RNP as needed. The past two nights have been much better and we've been able to get LO to sleep in his bassinet at night
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for all of the support ladies! Sounds like we'll use the RNP as needed. The past two nights have been much better and we've been able to get LO to sleep in his bassinet at night

I didn't have one for my first child and he slept awful. I got one for my second child and she slept like a dream in that thing for 4 months. It's fine if you are smart about it.
  • My Lo sleeps in a rnp..has since she was born and is 15 weeks. Her head is perfectly round :)
  • We've used a combination of the RnP, bassinet and swing for sleep and LO is 3 weeks old with a perfectly round head. When she's awake we make sure to do a good amount of tummy time. And she also naps/sleeps on our chests or in the baby carrier. Honestly with all four of our kids we've done whatever works to get them to sleep in the beginning. And they all wound up sleeping in the crib with no problems.
    Stasa 01.15.09 * Lexi 03.24.11 * Tommy 04.27.13 * Merklet #4 due 10.10.15

BLOG    THE BABY STANDARD    FLICKR    VIDEOS

• OP although I did let my DD sleep in the RnP for the first 4 months, she did require a helmet when she was 8 months old. She did have torticollis so the odd of her having a flat spot were high but do be conscious about the RnP when your LO is in it and try to make sure he isn't favoring one side of his head.
  • My best friend swore by the RNP with both of her girls. It also helps babies with reflux.

I co-sleep, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I think the concern with the RNP or any baby swing, bouncer, etc. is that when they don't have head control yet their head can cut off their airway. I'm sure you are, but I'd just make sure that her head and torso are aligned and that his head isn't flopped down or over to one side.