December 2015 Moms

Creepy things your toddler says

In honor of Halloween, I thought it might be fun to share creepy things that have either happened to you or things you've heard kids say that freaked you out.

I have a couple good ones.

Weird things really start to happen in our house any time I get pregnant. The last two pregnancies, I got pregnant around this time of year (on the exact day, probably. My two older kids share a birthday two years apart). Anyways, I was pregnant with #2 and didn't know it yet and our then 15m old suddenly started having panic attacks when we put her to bed at night. She was fine during day time naps but would come unglued at night when I put her to bed. We ruled out separation anxiety, temper tantrums, fear of the dark - pretty much went down the list of possible causes and checked them all off. Nothing worked, nothing helped. After about two weeks of this sudden behavior change, she went down relatively easy one night. I sent my husband out to tend to our horses and I went into our master bathroom to start a bath. While I was in my bathroom, I heard a male voice similar to my husbands sing-song softly (but distinctly audible) the pet name we have for our daughter. Now, this pet name was only used at home by me and my husband. My parents and MIL know it as well but live half the country away. No one else knew the name or called her by it. My daughter woke up in absolute hysterics and I bolted to her room, expecting to see my husband looking sheepish at her door after trying to say goodnight to her. Instead, I almost ran into him as he was coming in through our patio doors. Truly freaked out now, I reached my daughter's room. She was the only one there. We live on acreage and are the only family with children so we have ruled out interference with the monitor as a possibility. Since that night, my husband and I have both heard a male voice mumbling on the monitor. The creepiest thing is now my daughter is verbal and we hear her whispering back to the voice. When asked about it, she has told me it's her friend. That's about all she will say about it. Creeps me and my husband the hell out when it happens.

Re: Creepy things your toddler says

• That is SO creepy!!!!! :-SS
  • It has caused many a sleepless night in our house while we lie there and listen to her whispering to nothing and then suddenly hear a response. It's happened enough tha we no longer get up and do a full sweep of the house and the property (for awhile we thought maybe some creeper was using a monitor to talk with her, but the range for our monitor doesn't even reach our property lines). It is also not a nightly (or even a monthly) occurrence (thankfully).
  • Loading the player...
  • ^ um hellllll no!
  • Goshh I've got the shivers! I'd be nervous tho that your daughter thinks it's the norm for her to be answering back to a stranger... especially using her name that only u as parents use.. the whole thing freaks me out!
  • Wow! That's scary! My husband is on a business trip and I probably won't be able to sleep until he comes back now!

I had a similar scare once. I heard an unfamiliar man's voice on the monitor in my son's room. I ran as fast as I could to get to him and he was just playing with a talking car toy! :)
  • Yeah. I work in a hospital where super creepy stuff happens, but if ever happened at home I would gtfo real quick.
    Nope.
    No thank you.
  • I lived in Savannah for a few years which some Ivy League school named the most haunted city in the USA. Anyway on historic ghost tours they said most ghosts/spirits aren't bad and don't mean harm but if you are annoyed or threatened to tell them to leave, that they don't belong here anymore.

I think I'd call my pastor to pray or otherwise cleanse the house spiritually, if it didn't feel like it was a very warm and calming presence and I'd already told it to leave.
  • TomekiaB said:

I lived in Savannah for a few years which some Ivy League school named the most haunted city in the USA. Anyway on historic ghost tours they said most ghosts/spirits aren't bad and don't mean harm but if you are annoyed or threatened to tell them to leave, that they don't belong here anymore.

I think I'd call my pastor to pray or otherwise cleanse the house spiritually, if it didn't feel like it was a very warm and calming presence and I'd already told it to leave.

Yup. I've cleansed this house more times than I can count and while my husband was away for an extended period and really weird things (in a bad, uncomfortable way) started happening I actually lost it and went through the house yelling that if whatever was scaring my kids didn't leave I would burn the house down and salt the earth. Lol not much happened here again until I got pregnant with #3

• I don't have a toddler, but when I was a toddler I used to say that the man with the pretty handwriting was watching me.
  • Is her grandpa from her father's side dead? If it sounds like your husband, and his father has passed, there's a good possibility that it's just her grandpa trying to say hi to her from the other side. 
  • Went went to my parents house one night and the dogs all of a sudden started going nuts at the front window barking and jumping at the window. I was like I wonder what's out there. My daughter says "there's a guy out there" so we all are looking and looking and there's nothing her and the dogs are all staring. My husband and father both went outside nothing. My daughter says no there's a guy right there with pop pops hair and he's sleepin he's right there... And she described him and what he was wearing everything. A couple hours later we go outside get in the car and go to leave and she looks out the window and says "bye guy"
  • Is her grandpa from her father's side dead? If it sounds like your husband, and his father has passed, there's a good possibility that it's just her grandpa trying to say hi to her from the other side. 

Actually, he is AND my husband and I have both on many occasions smelled stale cigarette smoke in both daughter's bedrooms. Neither of us smoke and we know no one else has been in the home. His grandfather used to smoke like a chimney. We have assumed that smell is him checking on his great grands. Apparently he was a very loving man who would have been thrilled to pieces about having great grands (my husband was his little fishing buddy when he was a little guy).
  • I've actually read articles & stories about hearing voices through the baby monitors and/or baby monitors with the video capability moving on their own - they can be hacked! & it is fairly easy to do apparently
  • Yeah... I decided to turn on my light after reading about half of that.
    I was expecting "funny" not "scary."
    My kids have talking non-stop about ghosts. I don't believe in spirits, but it doesn't mean that I can't be persuaded.
    Now I'm questioning if my kids really are seeing and hearing things and it is not just imaginary night terrors.
  • This post has officially creeped me out. X_X
  • Yea I've also heard that the security on monitors is ridiculously lax, and that they are really easy to hack. Be careful!
  • Lol i thought the same thing!
  • This is really creepy....this is why i hate baby monitors.
  • That's given me shivers, soooo creepy
  • Glad i didnt buy that baby monitor,now im really not getting it and will Co sleep forever! lbvs. im weirded out now, i dont want to even think about that especially as a stay at home mom I dont want to even think my LO will be looking or talking to spirits I may have an anxiety attack. Pray for me. The mind is very creative and Hallucinations or not im not down with being freaked out as a FTM.
  • I'm loving the creepy posts! we've got a bunch of scaredy-cats here (; Halloween is my favorite time of year, keep 'em coming! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh wow, that's kind of awesome then =) I am pretty convinced now that it's just her grandpa saying hi, that's really sweet <3 How lucky that she can actually see and talk to her own guardian angel! 
  • they say children are more susceptible to seeing "spirits"   unless other stuff was happening in the house that really creeps you out and your sure its not the baby monitor....I wouldn't worry about it too much..........yet...........
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited October 2015
    Bombmom3 said:

Yes. We've done the research about monitors being hacked. Our problem there is a) we don't live in a typical neighborhood, we live on over four acres so if someone IS hacking in, then they are also making a huge effort to sneak out on a long, private country road and then hide on our property close to the house, b) it isn't a wifi monitor so not as easy to hack as some of the other models and c) if it is someone who hacked in, then they were watching us for a looooong time prior to talking to my child because of the use of her pet name. Not saying it isn't possible that is what happened. Just something we've taken into account and tried to figure out (no one likes the thought of some creep hacking into their kid's monitor - that's almost more creepy to me than a super natural explanation!). Good news is after I lost it one night and yelled at whatever it was to leave us alone or I'd burn down the house it stopped. My kid still talks to nothing a lot but I don't hear a response - and I'm ok with that lol

We can switch the tone of this to more funny if it's creeping people out that badly lol I just thought it would be fun to share creepy stories close to Halloween. I know kids say weird/creepy things and that people have had weird things happen involving their kids.

A funny/creepy thing my kid said once was that she loved my skin. She came right up to me out of the blue, strokes my cheek and whispered, "Your skin is pretty, Mommy. Can I wear it?"
    "Um, no. No you cannot. We don't wear people's skin. It can't come off."
    "Ok. Can I wear my princess dress, then?"
    Sure, you little creep lol

Edited. My gif didn't work :/
  • I'm with @melissadmeg, it might just be her grandpa (or was it great grandpa?). My mom died when I was a teen and I do sense her occasionally, much more subtley (often dreams or something out of place or unexpected that seems like my mom wanted me to see). According to the historical ghost tour leaders (who are more interested in the history than scaring you) kids and pets are supposedly more open to the experience so she might just experience it more. One of Savannah's most common ghosts is actually a cat in a window of a house that hasn't had a cat in decades...kids have been pointing out this cat for years and consistently describe the same cat vividly but very few adults have seen it. Smells are supposedly one of the most common "ghost experiences."
  • TomekiaB said:
    I'm with @melissadmeg, it might just be her grandpa (or was it great grandpa?). My mom died when I was a teen and I do sense her occasionally, much more subtley (often dreams or something out of place or unexpected that seems like my mom wanted me to see). According to the historical ghost tour leaders (who are more interested in the history than scaring you) kids and pets are supposedly more open to the experience so she might just experience it more. One of Savannah's most common ghosts is actually a cat in a window of a house that hasn't had a cat in decades...kids have been pointing out this cat for years and consistently describe the same cat vividly but very few adults have seen it. Smells are supposedly one of the most common "ghost experiences."

Yep. Agree. It must be her grandpa. My grandparents have passed except for my one grandma and I have dreams about them. My mom too has dreams about her mother visiting me and being thrilled about the baby. We will see if any super natural things happen once LO is here. I'll saythismuch I agree with you, I'd rather it be a spirit than a real life creeper.....
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • @sarahgn lmao that gif made my day hahaha
  • We moved into a new office last year around this time and strange things started happening.  My coworker saw a man in the window of our conference room from the outside of the building.  Certain parts of the office were colder than the rest, with no vents/windows/etc near.  The radio would turn itself off and on, even when someone was standing next to it. 

A different coworker came in with her daughter early one morning and the daughter (about 3) said that she wanted to leave, that there was someone in the office.  When asked who was there, the daughter said, "That man."  Later that day, another coworker was working about a half hour late by herself.  Her sister brought her nephew (age 3) into the office when picking her up from work and the nephew kept saying how scared he was of the man watching them and that he wanted to go.

We figured animals were also said to see spirits, so someone brought their cat into the office.  The cat, usually very inquisitive and friendly, cowered in any corner he could find and kept staring in the same direction, like he was looking at someone.  At this point, a different coworker came in after hours and performed a ritual cleansing of our office.  All abnormal things have since stopped, but it was pretty freaky!
  • We were at Wal-Mart when my oldest daughter was around 3. She kept looking up at the vents and ductwork. I asked her what she was looking at, and she said "that man". I almost lost it. All I could think about was the scene in "It" (the reason i am terrified of clowns and pretty much all other costumed characters) where Pennywise is traveling through the pipes in the tunnel. I half expected to see a clown at the end of the aisle or a hovering balloon.
  • @cdv2015 Pennywise totally freaks me out!!! I had a friend over one rainy afternoon and my toddler (then 2) walked over to our big picture window, pointed to something outside and said, "Everything floats," then walked away. My friend and I flipped! Nope nope nope.
  • Bombmom3 said:

@cdv2015 Pennywise totally freaks me out!!! I had a friend over one rainy afternoon and my toddler (then 2) walked over to our big picture window, pointed to something outside and said, "Everything floats," then walked away. My friend and I flipped! Nope nope nope.

Ahhh... heck to the Nahh.