Baby Names

Classic or overdone?

DH and I LOVE the name Emma but we know how common it is. DH doesn't care but I'm wondering if it's overdone/ tired or a classic that is fairly timeless. Big sister's name is Sophie.

I don't know how to do a poll from my phone!

Thanks!

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Classic or overdone?

• I would say classic. Emma seems less popular in recent years with the rise of Ella and Olivia.
  • satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited October 2015
    It is popular but I wouldn't say it's overdone because it is a classic, pretty name. The popularity of a name changes so often your child might not even be in a class with 5 others with his/her name. Also, out of the more popular names I really like Emma, a name like Ella or Ellie are names I'm tired of hearing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure it's Number 1 in the US. I love it but can't use it bc I know two little Emma's. If you are ok with the popularity go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you both love it I think it's fine. It's a classic name, and no matter how many there are it will always be a nice name.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the responses, ladies! We chose DD's name before she was even conceived and it's the exact one we ended up going with

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think its classic.  Popular, yes, but classic.  And I think it goes really well with your other daughters name, which is also popular, so if that doesn't bother you I wouldn't let Emma's popularity bother you either.
  • @FutureMrsCaesar I thought I was slick naming her Sophie and not Sophia. I prefer Sophie anyway and it's less popular but DUH she'll get mixed in with the Sophias anyway and does get called Sophia. I still don't think I'd change her name though. And thanks - I think the two names go well together also :-)

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I prefer Emily, I tend to qualify that as classic but Emma as trendy.
  • Classic but also very popular. I love it but it's too popular for me. If you are ok with there being a lot of other Emma's your LO's age then go for it. It's def a pretty name. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think its classic.  Popular, yes, but classic.  And I think it goes really well with your other daughters name, which is also popular, so if that doesn't bother you I wouldn't let Emma's popularity bother you either.

^^this
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • It was literally the most popular girl name of 2014.

If you're OK with her being Emma C. (or whatever your last name initial is) in all her classes and on and off throughout life, and you really love the name, then go for it, as it is a pretty name.  Just keep in mind there will always be lots of other girls her age with that name for her whole life.  I know two Emmas born within the last year alone.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Exactly what @FutureMrsCaesar said :)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • little_brenlittle_bren member
    edited October 2015
    @acuteangles that's what I'm contemplating . I don't know any Emmas except one friend's daughter who lives in Wyoming. I'm sure they're there. Our second favorite name is Norah but that's also popular :/

ETA: our last name is very unusual and "ethnic" with 5 syllables so I know she won't be the third Emma Brown in school lol

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think it's a beautiful name, but way too overdone and popular for me. My daughter has had an Emma in every room at school since the infant room, and often more than one. I also know several people who have Emmas. As others have said, if you're okay with the popularity, I think it's a pretty, timeless name.
  • Thanks for the input, ladies

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited October 2015
    Emma is very popular right now, but it is not trendy, IMO.  I think that it's a classic name that won't be time-stamped to this decade.  If popularity doesn't bother you, I would use it if you love it. 

• Both names are extremely common but are classic. You just have to decide how much you care.
  • Emma is cute and cozy and adorable. Not my style but I like it.
  • It's very popular, and goes well with Sophie.