September 2015 Moms
Options

Clogged Milk Duct

I had a terrible case of this, with half of my boob as hard as a rock. I think I'd rather go through labor again than have that pain again! I was able to get it worked out, but I thought what finally did the trick was a little strange, so I wanted to pass it on in case anyone else deals with it. I tried everything: vibration, massage, heat, cold, pumping, nipple shield with baby latched. Nothing worked and it just kept getting worse. Then, last night, i took my shirt off, no bra, nothing. Just wore a robe to catch any leakage. And I slept on the opposite side of the clog. Baby woke me up to eat, and then worked everything out for me! Phew, relief!!

Re: Clogged Milk Duct

• Options
    You're lucky it was just a clogged duct! My lump that big ended up being an abscess. Definitely keeping it in mind incase I have this problem. I bet it's the gravity that helped
  • Options
    I just had one as well, and I found that if I faced lo's chin towards the clogged duct (which made for some pretty strange breastfeeding positions), it got it right out.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried that, too! This one was so stubborn!
  • Options
    Working on one right now. LO doesn't nurse well though so I can only pump :(
  • Options
    I had that yesterday. I tried everything and on the end of the day I took a HOT shower. I looked down and saw a white dot on my nipple that I could not squeeze out. I finally punctured it with a needle and so much milk started flowing out!!! Glad I was next to the pump. The lump drained and all was good.
  • Options
    Wow V1wwo!
  • Options
    I had one a week or two ago that hurt like hell.  I was able to clear it with some heat and then kneading my breast using my fist pushing towards the nipple.  It was cleared up within a few hours after doing that a few times.  I felt one coming on two nights ago and started up again.  It unplugged pretty easily and milk shot about 3 feet across the room! 

I feel my breasts several times a day now since it seems easier to manage when I caught it earlier.  
  • Options
    I have this problem right now, only it is very red and super painful. My doctor called it a really angry clogged duct and put me on an antibiotic. So far it's still red and painful but I've only been on the antibiotic 24 hrs. I'm really hoping this goes away soon, it is so uncomfortable!!
  • Options
    Try taking Sunflower Lecithin. You can get it at any supplement store like GNC. I haven't gotten a clog since I started on it. Supposedly it makes the milk not as sticky and flows out easier. Worked for me.
  • Options

Working on one right now. LO doesn't nurse well though so I can only pump :(

Try sunflower lecithin if your an ep mom