July 2015 Moms
Options

Diaper Pails

What diaper pails does everyone have? I have a Diaper Genie that my friend gave me after she used it for her kids, so I think it's an older model. It doesn't really work that well and the lid keeps getting stuck. I actually use regular trash bags with the diaper genie which may be why the lid always gets stuck. I want a diaper pail that I can use regular trash bags and not spend a fortune on their trash bags. Any brands anyone recommends? I'm seeing some good reviews on the Ubbi, it's just so expensive! Anyone have that one?

Re: Diaper Pails

• Options
    I have the Ubbi and use regular trash bags. They hang over the side so it isn't pretty, but it totally works. I don't know what you are looking for in a diaper pail but it keeps the smell in when closed. When you open it though it stinks (I am sure that is them all though). Easy to get the bag in and out. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Yes I want the smell to stay inside when it is closed. Right now every time I walk into my LO's room it just reeks of pee. I think because using regular trash bags on the diaper genie, it doesn't close as tightly as it should, therefore the smell just comes out. I don't mind the smell coming out when I open it or take out the trash bag because I don't think that is something that is possible to not have happen anyways. But I'd just like something that is easy to throw the diaper in and doesn't make her room smell so bad. I think I'll try out the Ubbi!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just use the garbage. No special diaper pail. We had the genie for DS1 but found it only worked well with small diapers and my son grew like a weed so didn't use it long.
  • Options
    I keep a garbage outside my garage door so it's easily accessible but you can't smell it from inside.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kristyn831kristyn831 member
    edited October 2015
    I have the dekor diaper pail. I use their bags but it's $15 for 2 refills and I've refilled it twice since he's been born, so they last a long time.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options
    I also have the dekor (second hand), and the friend who gave it to me said regular trash bags work. I'm using their refills, and have only changed the refill once in 11 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm using the baby trend diaper champ and I love it. Only costs $30 to $40 at Walmart or Target. It uses regular trash bags that do not hang over the sides. It has never smelled in my baby's room and I only have to change the bag about once a week.
  • Options
    love the ubbi! totally worth the money! and we buy their bags.
  • Options
    I use the diaper genie and their bags. Target makes bags that fit it too. We've only changed the bag 2 times in almost 15 weeks so it's really not too expensive. Plus target has them on sale and usually has 20% off on their cartwheel app at the same time.
  • Options
    We have the Ubbi and I love it. Never had an issue with smell and we just use regular garbage bags. My MIL also suggested using the scented fabreeze garbage bags, which also cuts down on the smell when the bag has to sit in the garage (we have a stupid 8 day garbage pick up cycle).
  • Options
    I love my Ubbi pail. There's no smell at all and I also use their reusable bags that I wash every once in a while. Totally worth the money.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have the diaper genie elite and I love it. I love that it has to foot pedestal that opens it so its hands free. The refills last like 3 or 4 changes and they're pretty a cheap if u get the target brand. I can't ever smell the dirty diapers either. Also I love that the dog can't get into it. He gets into everything and I'm sure a dirty diaper would be heaven to that lovable mutt.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the ubbi and so far so good!
  • Options
    I don't like diaper pails. The idea of poop sitting inside of them grossed me out. I take them outside immediately. It was a waste of money in my opinion, so we don't use it with our second daughter.
  • Options
    The dekor diaper pail is awesome! It keeps the smells inside and you would never know dirty diapers were in it.
  • Options
    I also use the dekor diaper pail with the reusable bags. It doesn't contain the smell completely but I wouldn't expect anything holding poopy diapers to accomplish that.
  • Options
    Eh I'm with @Ckorines
    Btw I've have friends say how great their diaper bin it doesn't smell - but when I walk into their house all I can smell is baby poo mixed with fragrance

You get used to the smell when it's in your own house
  • Options
    Eh I'm with @Ckorines Btw I've have friends say how great their diaper bin it doesn't smell - but when I walk into their house all I can smell is baby poo mixed with fragrance You get used to the smell when it's in your own house
    Haha I definitely had the ladies voice from that commercial in my head when I read it.

We have a regular trash can with a good lid that goes out nightly.
  • Options
    I also just use a garbage can. I have one on the side porch and empty into there daily. I don't smell Anything in the house so I didn't waste my money on a pail of any sort.
  • Options
    I have the ubbi and the bags do not hang outside of the container of you do it right. They stay inside. It works wonders and you used regular trash bags. Give it a try.