Baby Showers

Ftm Highchair Question

I'm making a registry right now for a baby shower next month. I was thinking it would be nice to have a spot in the house, other than a bouncy seat, that I could set the baby down that was up higher than my dog could reach. (I'm really not worried about my dog with the baby, but thought it would be nice to have baby up out of dog zone at least at first just to be safe.) I was thinking that a Highchair that reclined would do the trick, and it would be nice to have one for later once he started eating food as well. Plus then we could have the baby at table height with us when we're eating. All the reclining high chairs I can find say they are for babies 3 mos and up though. The chicco and graco ones I've seen seem like they go back really far, so I can't figure out why I couldn't put a baby younger than three months in them, but my newborn experience is limited. Can anyone offer advice on this? Have you put very small babies in reclining high chairs before? Why do the manufacturers say 3 months and up? Or is there some Highchair you know of that would be newborn friendly?

Re: Ftm Highchair Question

• 3 months is usually around the time they have enough head control to sit supported. I would not put a baby in a high chair unless they held their head up well.

You could use a pack and play if you need another place. Honestly, my kids just liked the bouncy seat or playing on the floor.
  • I wouldn't use a highchair because as the previous poster indicated their necks are just not strong enough quite yet! However, with my DS we would put his bouncer on the kitchen table with us as we ate.  There are some small bouncers like the Fisher Price rainforest bouncer that will do just the trick! GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't use a highchair because as the previous poster indicated their necks are just not strong enough quite yet! However, with my DS we would put his bouncer on the kitchen table with us as we ate.  There are some small bouncers like the Fisher Price rainforest bouncer that will do just the trick! GL!

This. We have a high chair that reclines way back (Chicco) but I honestly don't ever use that feature. I also never put either of my kids in the high chair when they were that young. I would bring the vibrating bouncy seat in the kitchen with me or wear DD in the Ergo around the house.
  • I, too, had the Chicco high chair that reclines, and like the above replies, I never used it as an infant seat. 

The bouncy seat has a ton of warnings saying not to put it on a counter, but both of mine had rubberized, skid-proof bases and my counters are really big. There was just no way that seat was going over the edge. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Have a look at the Stokke steps high chair and bouncer system. You can attach the bouncer (with newborn insert) to the high chair. Probably expensive but it'll give you exactly what you want- a safe option for a newborn to sit up high.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have registered, and got the Peg Perego siesta high chair. It reclines and you can buy an additional booster seat pad for it. I cannot vouch for how well it works with a newborn as we haven't used it yet, but it does say for birth to 45lbs. I also love the other features it has. It's pricey though.
  • my ds didn't use his highchair until he was like 3-4 months old. we would put him in his swing, bouncer or pack and play until then. 
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • You can put your bouncy seat in the pack n play to keep dog away.

Dog gates?