2nd Trimester

Bacterial Vaginosis

I was resently diagnosed with BV and I'm super nervous because me being a dummy I googled it and I read that this can cause miscarriage in the 2nd trimester. Has anyone had this and how did it work out for you?

Re: Bacterial Vaginosis

• Yup I had it. Wouldn't treat me until I was in the second tri. I took a course of antibiotics but they didn't work. I'm currently on a second round of different antibiotics. My midwife is not worried about it, so neither am I. It is very common in pregnancy. Take your antibiotics and go back for a repeat screening. Good luck.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What @ecwk said. I suspect I have it as well and will ask my doc to check when I'm in for my appointment next week. I know it can cause complications and miscarriage, but I believe that's only when it's untreated for a long period of time.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Super common. I have either had BV, yeast, or a UTI this entire pregnancy, they basically keep rotating. My OB is not concerned because again, this can be really common. The worry of miscarriage is if you don't get it treated at all and it keeps going for an extended time. Generally, you will be just fine. 
  • I had it during a twin pregnancy. I lost both boys at 20 weeks, due to the infection going systemic. It's nothing to mess around with. Get treated now.
  • I had BV and treated with MetroGel. It was disgusting but went away. 
  • Ugh.. Yea I get it whenever I am pregnant. I took a round of flagyl for it about a month ago but I am pretty sure it came back- OB is reluctant to give me more ABX now. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have had it twice now and I'm only 12 weeks.
  • Okay- how can you tell if you have this or just regular thrush?
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited October 2015
    ashhsa said:

Okay- how can you tell if you have this or just regular thrush?

I would get it checked by your doctor. My BV is asymptomatic so I wouldn't have known I had it unless my midwife did the screening. I think the symptoms can be pretty similar so get it checked and they'll let you know.

Edited spelling

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited October 2015
    I also kept getting BV and yeast infections during pregnancy. My midwife suggested a probiotic which seemed to help keep me from getting them again after the antibiotics.
  • @missemmawoodhouse do you mind sharing which one(s) you used?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had it twice this pregnancy. I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow and just finished a round of Flagyl today. The only "symptom" I had is increased discharge. No smell, no itch, no weird color. If they didn't culture it, I wouldn't have known. I have been getting cultures each visit just to keep an eye on it.
  • ecwk said:

@missemmawoodhouse do you mind sharing which one(s) you used?

@ecwk Just the generic CVS brand. My midwife said at least 2 billion bacteria/capsule and beyond that, it didn't matter.
    https://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/probiotics/cvs-prenatal-probiotic-vegetable-capsules-30ct-skuid-919041
  • ecwk said:

@missemmawoodhouse do you mind sharing which one(s) you used?

@ecwk Just the generic CVS brand. My midwife said at least 2 billion bacteria/capsule and beyond that, it didn't matter.
    https://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/probiotics/cvs-prenatal-probiotic-vegetable-capsules-30ct-skuid-919041

Thanks!!!

Pregnancy Ticker