2nd Trimester

Weight gain

My doctor said I gained a "significant" amount of weight. I gained 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I decided that maybe I should stop eating sugar? I am generally small, I'm 5'3 and started out at 115-120 I am 143 now. I'm 17 years old, will cutting out soda help with the weight gain? Should I lose weight? I don't eat much so the weight gain came as a shock, I do have a thyroid disorder it's hashimotos and I figured that could factor in. Has anyone else had this rapid weight gain? What did your doctor tell you?

Re: Weight gain

• Definitely cut the soda out of your diet. It's not healthy for either you or LO. Maybe just try eating healthier foods. Was your doctor concerned?
  • kyky1798 said:

My doctor said I gained a "significant" amount of weight. I gained 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I decided that maybe I should stop eating sugar? I am generally small, I'm 5'3 and started out at 115-120 I am 143 now. I'm 17 years old, will cutting out soda help with the weight gain? Should I lose weight? I don't eat much so the weight gain came as a shock, I do have a thyroid disorder it's hashimotos and I figured that could factor in. Has anyone else had this rapid weight gain? What did your doctor tell you?

The question is what did YOUR doctor tell YOU? I agree you should cut out soda but getting advice on weight loss/gain during your pregnancy is something your doctor should help you with, not Internet strangers.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You should definitely cut out soda and try to eat healthy in general.

I gained 30 pounds my first pregnancy and 28 with my second but that means nothing because all pregnancies are different. Your doctor should be the one tracking your weight gain and determining if you are gaining too much or just enough. If your doctor is concerned then listen to his recommendations.

• Your doctor needs to recheck your thyroid levels. I gained almost 20 pounds in about a month with no dietary changes.....it turns out my thyroid needed more help. Now That we have my levels where they are supposed to be things have calmed down and are progressing as normal. It sucks to have the extra weight gain so early (I know), but you WILL be able to lose it in a HEALTHY way AFTER the baby has arrived. It will mean a little more hard work as far as exercise and eating healthy on your part, but it WILL come off.

I have cut almost all soda out of my regular diet, I allow myself one can a day, if I REALLY want one. But most days I do well with water, juice, tea, etc.

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems