May 2016 Moms

All my fellow school staff: When to tell students/parents?

I am just full of questions lately! But as long as you all are full of great answers, I'll keep 'em coming  ;)

I was wondering when/if teachers/school staff plan to tell students and parents about your pregnancy or maternity leave plans? I ask because I am a school nurse and I have a few students who see me regularly for medications, treatments and check-ins. I have very strong parent communication and have already had to let parents know when a sub will be covering for appointments/sick days. I am not sure when would be a good time to let them know I am leaving for maternity leave possibly as early as mid-April. I know that some of my students (they are elementary school age so it is very different from when I was pregnant with my son and working in the high school!) are aware that something is up, especially when I am sick at work. I just don't know if I should wait until 2 weeks before my estimated leave so as not to freak out parents or if I should give more warning. 

What are your plans? Have you already told your students and parents? Have your administrators given any recommendations? TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: All my fellow school staff: When to tell students/parents?

•  (I'm the school social worker/ counselor in an elementary school)
    I actually have begun letting students and parents know on an as needed basis this week. I lead our three Girl Scout troops after school and I notified parents of those girls via newsletter this week that I'm pregnant, I'd need additional volunteers at times because of this, and that someone else would need to step up and lead meetings around April. These parents of course told their daughters. 
    I also had a student who I puked in front of a few weeks ago. She also overheard me saying something to another student about being anxious about getting through the first couple months so that hopefully symptoms subside. This particular student has a lot of issues with trust and honesty, so now that all the teachers know (Facebook) I made sure to talk with her during session and discuss how she felt when I threw up and so on..... I probably have a lot of these sort of sessions coming soon. Where I tell students I'm pregnant and then process their emotions about/ around my pregnancy. Some them have experienced infant loss in their families so there's sure to be a lot of talk about it. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • I'm a high school teacher
    Last time I told students at 12 weeks, I will do the same this time. Will also tell my boss at 12 weeks, so far I haven't had to miss any classes for appointments, but that won't always be the case, especially towards the end!

I will tell me students because they are badgering my about coaching basketball and rugby, and they should know the real reason I won't be able to. As for parents, we don't have much parent involvement at our school, so that isn't really an issue. The parents I have relationships will be told by there kids. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll tell students next week sometime-- I really don't like making a big announcement, so I may just tell some students and let them spread it around. I'll announce to FB/teacher friends on Monday after our u/s, so they'll know before students. I teach semesters, so by the time that I get to the classes I'll teach when I'm taking maternity leave in May it'll be pretty obvious I'm pregnant. I'll send something home to parents when I know who my long-term sub will be; most high school parents don't get too concerned about temporary teacher changes especially since I'll hand all of my plans, schedules, exams, etc to my sub to carry out.
  • Although I work in a college setting, I won't tell students until 12 weeks (next week). I've told HR, my VP, and direct coworkers, but I'll tell the rest of my campus employees (the ones whom I work with often) the same time I tell students.

I've been dreading telling my students. If I thought they were in my face too much then (I do have to get work done..), they will now be harassing me daily haha!
  • I work in a different field but general opinion is that people want to know what to expect. I personally wait until my body is giving it away (15 weeks last time, probably next week this time around at 10 weeks), talk about what that means for the rest of our work together, and what the transition will be.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I'm a counselor (not in a school setting; mostly just adults) and I've been wondering the same thing. When should I start preparing my patients? The vast majority will be discharged way before I leave, but I have a few that I know will still be with me by May. I'm honestly not sure if telling them early will be helpful or not.

It's a small town though, so a lot of them may just hear about it after I post to Facebook. I don't think that's the greatest way for them to find out. I have no clue what to do.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • I teach 6th graders, so I'm waiting as long as possible to tell them. Anything like this is such a huge distraction. I'm going to try and wait until right before Christmas break, so by then I can tell them whether it's a boy or girl at the same time, minimizing that distraction as well.

Most of my coworkers know, and a few parents of former students (that I'm friends with on Facebook), but they've been told not to tell the kids. My biggest concern is that I'll start showing so much that they ask me, since middle schoolers aren't known for their tact.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I have already told most of my parents. I work in a Montessori school so my students are very clingy and needy due to their age. I have discussed any concerns the parents may have about things that I will be unable to do or have to accommodate to be able to do. I'm 9 weeks and began discussing this with parents and my boss around 7 weeks.
  • I teach in a small urban alternative high school & I am going to wait to tell my students until I show-hoping not until after Xmas. They all have tough lives & many have terrible past school experiences so I know this will trigger some of them. Some are teen parents so I'm hoping for a little sympathy from some! ;) I told close colleagues early & will tell my boss/other colleagues around Thanksgiving.