March 2015 Moms
Options

BF and solids stressed

SMac2013SMac2013 member
edited October 2015 in March 2015 Moms
I feel like my milk supply has really decreased. My LO is 7 months old and we have been eating solids for about a month now. Here's how our eating schedule is going:

Wake up (normally around 7 am) Nurse then we'll eat 2oz of banana oatmeal. He doesn't always want the oatmeal but I offer it to try to get I to a routine of eating "breakfast."

About 3-4 hours later, we nurse again then he'll eat anywhere from 2.5-5 oz of fruit or veggies.
(Sometimes he'll nurse before solids and sometimes after)
repeat every 3-4 hours until bedtime.So he's eating solids and nursing 4-5 times a day.

I don't use a bottle because I am a SAHM and despise pumping. But I have been offering a sippy cup of water which he loves. But because I don't use a bottle I have no idea how much milk he is getting and I'm worried it's not enough. He is so interested in solid foods he's losing interest in nursing.

I feel confused about this whole situation. I am worried he is not getting enough nutrients. Is anyone going through anything similar?

Re: BF and solids stressed

• Options
    Always offer the breast before eating. Your baby will drink enough. Remember, the composition of breastmilk changes over time- you milk may be fattier now, allowing baby to get nutrients more quickly. Also, your milk supply probably is going down some. Your body regulates to what baby needs. Introducing solids is a step on the path to eventual weaning. I have seen the same thing with my production. I used to leak everywhere and over pump every day. Now I nurse who with baby and when I am at work I pump just enough for the next day.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im sortof in the same boat but opposite. My lo is ebf also but she doesnt want anything to do with solids. She only wants to nurse. When she is setting in her high chair she arches her back. She loves her fanger snacks but baby food is a nono. Any advice from u ladys on how to get her to eat?! I have just started giving her a sippy also. And i do try to feed 3 times a day everytime i eat
    But still doest work.
  • Options
    You might not have a supply problem, it might be just changes in behavior.  Babies this age can get extremely efficient at nursing, so sessions can cut down to just a few minutes.  Ever since arouns 4 months old my daughter has been extremely distractable.  I try to feed her in the nursery before and after naps and any other time because when i try and feed her anywhere else she whips her head around to see anything else.  And yes, try to offer solids right after or within the first hour after bf.