October 2015 Moms
Options

What's up with all the cervical checks?

I've been seeing so many posts about dilation and effacement.. Even friends have asked if I knew.. So I inquired with my midwives about when these checks start. She said after your due date and went on to explain that cervical checks are invasive and uneccesary. You could be dilated for weeks. If I was curious to know they would be happy to but assured me it did not matter and the baby would come on his own time..which made sense enough to me! So what's up with all the freakin' cervical checks your all getting every week? Haha. Is it common practice in other places or is everyone that curious?

Re: What's up with all the cervical checks?

• Options
    My midwife said the same as yours. I will have my first one next week once I am over 40 weeks unless babe comes before then.
  • Options
    My previous ob's did them from 36 weeks on, both offices. This time they haven't said anything so I haven't had any. I think a lot of ob's do them so they know if you're progressing or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it depends on the practice. But yes they are common where I am from especially if there are medical reason why your doctor would want to induce you. My friends and Family who had csection did not get them because there was no reason. And with a non-complications pregnancy they usually do not do them until you are 40 weeks or over.
  • Options
    I'm just that curious! I know it means almost nothing in terms of when I'll actually go into labor, but I keep asking to know anyway!
  • Options
    I think sometimes it's just a curiosity thing. They are a bit invasive and unnecessary, but they aren't really harmful either. My OB does one at the 36 week check up when they do the Group B Strep Test since they are down there anyways, and he likes to check that way to see if baby is head down. After that, he only does one upon request unless induction is being considered for a medical reason and/or because you are past your due date.
  • Options
    I think it's a little bit of both - some Drs do it as a part of the later visits and some mums are curious for a number of reasons. With my son my doctor didn't do any (2012), and this time she started at 37 weeks because this kid is so low and looks like they will fall out at any moment lol! She always asks my first and wont do it unless I give her the ok. I don't get the obsession bc my doctor also says its unecessary and doesn't do anything except hurt like hell
  • Options
    I think it depends on the doctor. I'm 39+1 and haven't been checked. They will check me at my next appointment at 40+1 if the baby hasn't come.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, I think it varies by your OB's procedures. My office begins checks at 37 weeks.
  • Options
    Most mid-wives will not perform them, but they are pretty standard in an OB/Doctor setting. My doctor gave me the option, I refused. They said it was fine, as long as I wasn't have any irregular contractions, and since I'm having a c-section.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm an engineer and love data. Cervical checks let me know how I'm progressing. I know they aren't everything but it is still nice to know. I am now overdue, but I know I am 3 cm dilated. Knowing this helps me to make the decision whether to induce or not. To each their own.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
  • Options
    I am 40w today. I got checked at 38+6 and 39+6. The doctors have been offering to check me every appt (I have twice weekly appts) since 36w. I'm only 1cm dilated. I'm supposed to be getting induced today once the hospital has room due to GD
  • Options
    I only had one at my 36 week check (nothing was happening) but that's because they did the GBS swab anyway. Then they did one at my last appointment because I'm set to be induced on Sunday and she wanted to see how I was progressing as it may make a difference for the induction.
  • Options
    My OB and his midwives team say the same thing. I have only had 1 and that's because I had started labor (but I was closed and it stopped so they sent me home)
  • Options
    At 34 weeks I had been rear ended and was having regular contractions so they checked me. It wasn't comfortable, but was no worse at all than a pap or anything and didn't bother me really. Since then they've asked if I wanted one (they are not necessarily routine with my OB), and I've had them do it out of pure curiosity.
  • Options
    I had a cervical check yesterday to see if I was a candidate for a membrane sweep at 39w1d. OB and I mutually decided to wait til 40w because I was only a fingertip dilated and hardly effaced. Not in a hurry to get baby out right now, but I think if I make some progress between now and next week, the sweep might work as intended.
  • Options
    My doctors office starts them at 37 weeks. If you want. My doctor said it's really no indication of when the baby will come because the baby will come when it wants to. But at my 38w 5d appointment I had her check because I was sick of everyone asking me. I was only 2cm and 50% effaced. I didn't make it to my appointment a week later. My water broke. To me that proves my doctor was right. Doesn't matter where you're at. Could be closed one day and give birth 3 days later or could be 3cm for weeks.