May 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital drive time

I'm having problems deciding on which hospital I want to deliver at. I need to decide soon because it determines which OB I go to after my RE releases me. I have a hospital very close to my house, but I really do hate it and the thought of delivering there freaks me out. I've had several friends deliver there and it's just horror story after horror story. I loved the hospital that I had DS at, but it's an hour and a half away without any traffic. I had a long labor with DS, and I know they say that the second goes faster. We'd have to drop DS off with my parents, so we're realistically looking at about 2 hours. I think it will be fine if we go up there as soon as we know it's the real deal, but DH is really worried. Opinions?
May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Hospital drive time

• Options
    I'm on my first and I switched ob just because the thought of a 45 min drive with no traffic (and jersey traffic is a beast and could make it much longer) scared the heck out of me.

it sounds like the closer hospital isn't where you want to be and honestly birth isn't when you want to be stressed from worry...I would go further and just be ready to gooooo lol
  • Options
    My OB only delivers at 1 hospital- 35 mins away. I have a hospital literally 5 minutes away from my house but it is so catered to the demographic ( elderly) there isn't even a GYNO on staff much less a maternity wing. If anything happens I have to go to the other one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A two hour drive in labor sounds horrible to me tbh. Besides the one that is five minutes away, there are no other options?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    LizC216LizC216 member
    edited October 2015
    Mine is about a 45 min - 1 hr drive. It's downtown so that time could definitely increase if there is an event or if it's rush hour. I also have a hospital less than 5 minutes from the house, but I won't give up my OB or the hospital that's further away...staying there is like staying at a hotel.

ETA: The hospital that is further away also is connected to one of the best Children's Hospitals in our state, so that's another reason I stuck with them God forbid something were to go wrong.

So far I've lucked out. I got nervous with my first who was born in the middle of winter. I ended up being induced with her. I went in because I noticed her not moving much and the doctor saw her heart rate dropping. The office is basically across the street from the hospital, so they took me straight there.

With my second, I went in for my 40 week appt and my water broke as I was walking to give them a urine sample, so straight to the hospital I went.

I feel like I'm pushing my luck. I so don't want to be the lady on the side of the road delivering my baby.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Neither sound ideal. Any other choices?? Our hospital is 5-10 minutes away. I keep all Doctors there - I hate to drive! ;) If you do choose the hospital farther away get a move on when your contractions start. With my 2nd baby I wanted to labor at home more (because I had a super long induction with baby #1). Well......I showed up at the hospital at 10 cm! We had to take DS with us because my MIL wasn't going to get to our house in time. Good thing the hospital was so close! But of course we knew we didn't have far to go....
  • Options

^I agree, any other options? 

image        image

• Options
    If there are no other options, go with the better hospital. I agree with PP though that a 2hr drive in labor sounds potentially awful. I'm feeling very blessed right now that my hospital of choice is only 10 minutes away.
  • Options
    Agreed that 2 hours seems like you're leaving a lot up to chance. I understand the dilemma. My hospital is 25 mins away but can take much longer depending on the time of day, and that makes me pretty nervous. It worked ok with my daughter because I went in late an night to be induced, but this time around I'm not sure how it's going to go.

If this is really the only option you feel comfortable with, you and your parents need to be prepared well in advance to drop everything at a moment's notice. Hopefully you can find a way to make it work.
  • Options
    Facing the same dilemma.  Our local hospitals are really bad.  I delivered DS at a hospital 45 minutes away that I love, but they won't do a VBAC.  So my options are 50 and 90 minutes away.  We also have no family around to watch DS, which should prove interesting.  It might make sense to either have your mom stay with you in the days leading up to your due date, or possibly to rent a house closer to the hospital.  I'm looking into both options.  I would not choose the local hospital in your case.  Feeling comfortable with the experience is so important.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • Options
    With my first two pregnancies I chose to deliver at a hospital that was about an hour away because it was in my hometown and my family was close-by. I was extremely anxious towards the end of my last pregnancy because of the distance and the fact that my DH had a long commute to work in the other direction. I ended up choosing an elective induction which in hindsight was the right decision since the labor and birth went extremely fast and I doubt I would have made it to the hospital if my water had broken at home. This time I'm going to the local hospital even though it's not as good and I've heard a few "horror" stories from people. I figured that it's not worth the anxiety and stress. I found a new OB and am happy with my decision to stay local. Go with your gut- if you feel like it's too risky with the two hour time-table then I would choose the closer hospital. GL with your decision!
  • Options
    My hospital is an hour from my work and 35 minutes from home. DD came within three hours in the middle of the night after my water broke at home. I never had a plan if I were to go into labor at work...I just hoped that the odds were it wouldn't happen??? Pregnancy optimism?? I just don't care for the doctors at the 5 hospitals that I pass on the way to mine.

Many women labor at home for awhile and then go to the HS anyway. Just go as soon as you think something is happening. Good luck!
  • Options
    There isn't any options in between, just our small town or go downtown in the nearest big city which is Memphis. Memphis traffic is horrible. With DS we sat in traffic for an hour looking at our exit ramp, but not being able to get over to it. They were doing construction and now that's done, but it's always something. When we moved here DH and I agreed that we would not deliver at the local hospital unless it was an emergency. We had planned on having a home birth, but long story short that's not an option anymore due to health reasons. The hospital I want to go to has a fantastic NICU and is extremely accommodating. They have a beautiful park right by the hospital. I figured if we go up early just to be safe and I'm not quite ready to be checked in, that we can go walk around or something.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Mine is 45-50 mins depending on traffic. I chose to be that far away though. There is a hospital literally 5 mins from us, but we chose to use a birthing center so we have to drive a little bit. I do feel a little bit better about it though since if an emergency does arise a hospital is right there.
  • Options
    Then I would plan on going to Memphis.  I know with most labors they tell you not to go in until contractions are so many minutes apart but I would go sooner if I were you.  If it really doesn't feel like you're going to make it, go to the local hospital that day.

image        image

• Options
    I'm picking the closest hospital to me. About 10 minutes away. Fortunately it's a good hospital but it doesn't offer the bells and whistles some of the med center hospitals, about an hr away, offer like champagne and hospital food that actually tastes good.

I progressed really fast with my 1st and I'm anticipating a fast labor again. I want to be at the hospital ASAP! I'd happily trade the extra luxuries for peace of mind that I won't deliver in the dang car!

2 hrs is a really long time when you are in active labor or if you experience false labor and end up making the drive. I'd pick the closest one to you and butter your nurses up with cookies. Really they will be the ones looking after you until it's time to push.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    I live in a remote-ish area. I chose homebirth, but i have a friend who's hospital was about an hour and a half away. When she thought she might kind of be starting labor, she and her husband just hung out in the city (went to the movies, out to lunch, etc) near the hospital until it was time to go. It would be hard to time it right with false labor and stuff, but it might be a good option to consider to keep you calm for now.
  • Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited October 2015
    I wouldn't want to deliver at a hospital that I hate. So maybe plan on delivering there but have a plan B if you aren't able to make it to that hospital?

ETA: I'm blessed that I live in an area that I can get to about 4 hospitals within 20 minutes or so. I'm delivering at one that has the best NICU in the area and has an extremely updated birthing center. I've heard only good things so I'm going with it. 
  • Options
    We have 2 hospitals 5 mins from us. But I have Kaiser so I have to go to the Kaiser hospital 30 mins from us. One of the close hospitals has a horrible reputation. I've heard several horror stories. So if it was in my network, I would not be going there. I live in Southern California so it's not uncommon for people to choose a hospital that's an hour away. But like others have said, if there are no other options, go with the better hospital. I'd just leave as soon as labor starts. 
  • Options
    I had both my kids at a birthing center an hour away...in the winter. I plan on doing the same this time around. Yes there are hospitals closer, but I absolutely love my doctors/ midwives and the birthing center, it is connected to the hospital there should any emergencies come up. Both drives were tough, you're in labor, its going to be tough anyway. My second came in about half the time as my first, so I would plan accordingly in terms of timing, leaving earlier, having parents come to your house instead.
  • Options
    We also have a hospital less than 5 minutes away from us (a block away from my work too), but it's got a bad reputation. I've had a few people tell me the delivery area is good, but I'd rather not take my chances if anything were to go wrong. The next closest hospitals are about 40-45 min away each. My ob gyn works in 2 different cities depending on what day of the week it is, so if I'm in labor I have to go to whichever hospital she's at (both hospitals are good as far as I know, so that's ok). I get so nervous whenever I think about the delivery.. :S

Together 11/2008
    Married 9/29/2012
    BFP #1 8/26/15
    EDD 5/6/2016
  • Options
    There is a small brand new hospital that is 15 mins away but I also won't deliver there for a variety of reasons. I will be delivering at a hospital that is 35 mins away.
  • Options
    I would go with the Memphis one even though it's further since it sounds like it will be a better experience all around and most likely has seen many different birth scenarios that would make me more comfortable with the care I'm receiving.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    After talking with DH more and really thinking on it, we decided to go ahead and go with the hospital in Memphis. It really is just that much better both for baby and me. We'll go as early as possible and just hope for the best. I called today and made my appointment with the same OB that delivered my DS, and I have my first appointment with her on Monday. If for any reason she thinks I should reconsider at a later point in my pregnancy, then we will reevaluate as needed.

• Options
    Lurking from N15, just wanted to add that if something did happen to go wrong (ie a precip labor) you can always go to the closer hospital to be delivered. You won't get your OB but maybe some peace of mind that last resort it's there as a backup.
  • Options
    We have one about five minutes away...but with both of my girls we drove 35 minutes to another one that I work at. For our first we drove all the way out there and they told us to go back home...we stayed at home for about an hour and then headed back. It was awful! With our second it was ok and we're doing it again for this one as well. I guess you always have the option to go to the other hospital near by if it happens quickly  - 2 hours seems like a loooong time!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

After talking with DH more and really thinking on it, we decided to go ahead and go with the hospital in Memphis. It really is just that much better both for baby and me. We'll go as early as possible and just hope for the best. I called today and made my appointment with the same OB that delivered my DS, and I have my first appointment with her on Monday. If for any reason she thinks I should reconsider at a later point in my pregnancy, then we will reevaluate as needed.

I live in North MS, and work in Memphis. I'll be delivering in Memphis as well. Just wanted to give a virtual "hi." :-h
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    Both the hospitals I could go to are 20-40 minutes away, depending on what part of town I'm in. My nurse told me that sometimes the odds of your normal OB being there and doing your delivery whenever it ends up happening for you can be pretty low, so it's not a big deal to go to the other hospital. So I can pre-register at both, and then just go to whichever one is more convenient at the moment things start happening - and if I'm in no rush, obviously I'll just go to the one with my OB.
  • Options
    I'm going to have my baby at my local hospital. I had also heard people say "don't go there" but they never really had a good reason. So I asked my general practitioner, a woman, what her opinion was. She has 5 children all of which, except her twins (special circumstance), were delivered there. She never had any problems and assured me that the hospital actually delivers more babies than any other in the region. So maybe ask you general doc. My other choices were 1-2 hour away and I worried about the distance.
  • Options
    bshurdy said:

I live in North MS, and work in Memphis. I'll be delivering in Memphis as well. Just wanted to give a virtual "hi." :-h
    Hi! Yay, same thing! My options are my little town, short ish drive to DeSoto, which isn't happening, or Memphis. I'm not giving up Baptist Women's lol Even if the traffic on 240 is sketchy by Poplar.