Secondary IF

Clomid Challenge

Hi Ladies,

I'm 41 and we are getting ready for a FET to try for our third child. My doctor told me because I am over 40 and have Blue Cross MA, I need to do the Clomid challenge. I had my day 3 blood work done the other day and the nurse called me back today with my numbers. I actually don't remember what she said they were, but she said I have the ovaries of a 25 year old! Great, I guess! So, I'm supposed to start the Clomid tonight and go back on Monday for the day 10 bloodwork. I started doing some research and now I'm concerned about taking the Clomid. We are planning on doing the FET next cycle and I don't want the Clomid to screw anything up with my cycle so it will make the FET more difficult or alter my cycle. Plus, I obviously want to pass the test so insurance cannot deny paying for the FET. ( I don't understand why I have to do the Clomid challenge in the first place since it has nothing to do with a FET)!! We have 11 frozen embryos from the last fresh cycle! So, I guess my question is, should I take the Clomid or not? I have read about women just not taking it. Will the doctor know I didn't take it? Will it mess with my cycles and interfere with the FET? How does "having the ovaries of a 25 year old" effect the results? Thanks for your input!

Re: Clomid Challenge

• I have never heard of this.  Can they just do a natural FET?  I don't understand why you have to do a clomid challenge.  Like all things in the IF world I would question everything and advocate for yourself.  If you don't feel comfortable with the plan make an appt. with your doctor and explain how you feel.  I think you have a legitimate worry about the clomid thinning your lining.  GL.
    Me: 31     DH: 33
    Dx: Me: Recurrent Pregnancy Loss; DH: Low Morphology (2%)
    BFP#1: MC 3/1/11 at 6w1d - EDD 10/21/11
    BFP#2: 5/3/11 - EDD 1/9/12 - DD Born 1/6/12
    TTC #2 since 12/13
    BFP#3: MC 2/8/14 at 4w5d - EDD 10/13/14
    BFP#4: MC 5/6/14 at 4w4d - EDD 1/9/15
    BFP#5: MMC discovered 8/4/14 at 9w1d - D&C 8/5/14 - Baby Boy with Trisomy 16 (maternal origin) - EDD 3/8/15
    BFP#6: CP 11/6/14 at 4w2d - EDD 7/14/15
    IVF #1 with ICSI & PGS: May/June 2015, ER 6/3/15, 17R/17M/15F
    IVF #2 with ICSI & PGS: July 2015, ER 7/16/15, 16R/11M/9F
    PGS results = 6 normal embryos (4 boys, 2 girls)
    FET 9/23/15 = BFFN
    Natural FET 11/4/15 = BFP!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 92

• We ARE doing a natural FET. I could see it if I was being stimulated, but I already have the embryos. The numbers are insignificant! I can call tomorrow, but I don't know whether to take the Clomid tonight or not?
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never heard of that either for a FET. I know clomid can thin your lining, and that the more months you use it the more likely that is to happen. I would bring your concerns to your RE and see what your They have to say, but I wouldn't just not take it if you have to for insurance, unless you just want to pay OOP for it. Why insurance companies would want to pay for unnecessary testing is beyond me, but it doesn't surprise me! I hope you get some answers and are successful with your FET. That is great you have 11 frosties!!! I would die for that :)
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5