May 2016 Moms

Is this a "surprise" baby for anyone else?

I don't want to use the phrase "oopsy-baby" but this baby wan conceived despite using birth control! The surprise is welcomed for us, but certainly not planned! I suddenly feel bad for secretly raising my eyebrows at moms in the past who have claimed a surprise pregnancy! Anyone else surprised?

Re: Is this a "surprise" baby for anyone else?

• It was not planned for us, either.  My body does not tolerate birth control well (I have tried different types with different hormones for years, and every one I have tried has made me very sick.), so DH have not used any for the past 9-10 years.  We were not actively trying to get pregnant, but we had been taking fewer precautions.  I had been on the fence about wanting to have any children at all for years, but it has been sort of a "if it happens, it happens" approach for the past several months.  Because of some past health problems, I certainly didn't think it was going to happen this quickly, but we're still excited.  We were definitely surprised!
  • Yes and no? We had just begun testing with an RE and got a surprise BFP on our own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is definitely a surprise as I was on birth control. Needless to say, both my husband and I are absolutely excited!
  • Sort of - We had a super early loss around 5 weeks on 7/31. We were planning to wait until I got through a cycle in August, then try again in September. I never got my period in August, and finally after Labor Day came and went I decided to take a test. We thought we had missed that "window of opportunity" but I guess the MC threw my cycle WAYYY off so I ovulated much later then expected. It's such a wonderful surprise though!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Mine was a surprise. I'm 25 and got married last year. We were planning to wait for a few more years as my husband finishes up grad school in December, starts his winter internship in January and will begin a full time position either directly after or in the fall. It's a bit of an odd transition period since we're also trying to move across the country. My company also just got bought by a HUGE company, a really good one to work for, so it would also be nice if I could work here for maybe one more year and then possibly get transferred. It was just really hectic timing. I felt pretty down for about a week, and then once I started telling more people I started to feel better and now I'm getting those happy/excited feelings ^.^ It doesn't help that the weather was absolutely miserable for all of last week. Now it's sunny so I feel good~ 
  • Me!  I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I will be 39 when this baby is born. I thought this shop was CLOSED lol! This was a huge surprise, but we are excited regardless!
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • This was a surprise for us. I'm a big cycle charter and had done it successfully for many years. We were able to get pregnant the first cycle trying for my first two kids and avoid it until now. I had some sort of yeast infection for the first time which apparently changed my fertility symptoms... which led to me being pregnant.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Yes. We got pregnant in April. The dh hadn't been home since February and couldn't be bothered to use protection (I can't use birth control). I miscarried early on. Again, in June and July, I happened to be ovulating right when he came home (works out of state). Again, early losses. In August, he left for work 4 days before I ovulated and we hadn't don't anything since the night before he left. When the digital read yes+, I just stared at it in disbelief. I honestly thought I'd lose this one, too. However, despite low progesterone, a huge sch, and discovering I have a clotting disorder, baby is doing great! This mornings u/s showed a beautiful baby measuring in at 11wks 1day. I'm still shocked, but it's finally starting to sink in that this is happening. Now I just need to figure out how to break the news to everyone.
  • This was our first "well, let's just see what happens" week- not even month, just the first week. Never in a million years expected it would happen!
  • Surprise baby for us too! We weren't planning to TTC and I was in fact on BC. It's not that we were adamant about not wanting kids, we were just waiting for the right time and we would've been okay with it whether it happened or not. But now that the decision has been made for us we're super excited for our little cookie.

I have to be honest, after getting my BFP I didn't immediately feel the baby fever. At first I just felt miserable from the MS and the entire concept of a baby growing inside of me in that moment felt completely surreal. I guess the initial shock was too big for me to handle right away. I was happy and excited, sure, but it felt like it wasn't really happening. But then as DH and I started discussing what is ahead for us it started sinking in more and more. And now that we've seen our first sonogram yesterday I'm finally feeling like I always thought I would when I'd be expecting :D

Good luck to all the happy surprises!
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • This was a total surprise for us. We were not trying at all!!!! But I guess you can say we weren't preventing either. It was a complete shock at first but now we are excited.
  • I'm on the pill, I work full time & my boyfriend is a full time student... Surprised doesn't quite cover it :)
    We're terrified but also excited!
  • Kennedy0830Kennedy0830 member
    edited October 2015
    Yep! My husband and I were planning on TTC in May 2016 after our planned (and scheduled) trip to Jamaica in late April for our wedding anniversary. I have been off BC since January (I was on it for 10 years and wanted to make sure my body still knew what to do) and have been charting ever since. I even took ovulation tests the first 3 months to make sure my cycles matched up with what my app was showing. Well, apparently in August my body decided that it was going to ovulate 5-7 days past my normal ovulation :)

DH is literally over the moon (I thought he would be pissed because this means no more Jamaican vacation). We haven't cancelled Jamaica just yet as I am waiting until we clear 12 weeks, but this will be the story on why I tell people to always buy travel insurance ;)
  • to say im not impressed would be an understatement.

im not really excited about it, but i think it will be different when baby is here 

i wasnt really sure if i wanted kids anyways but despite our best efforts to not conceive we did 

hubby and i have only been married for 4 months, prior to this we just moved in together for the first time in our entire relationship 2 months ago
    previous to that we lived in different countries, and held a largely long distance based relationship 
    i love my husband more than anything in the world so im feeling a little like life decided to take away my newly found relationship from me before i could get comfortable and have time with him.

all together including marriage we've been together for 8 months. 

i feel like i got cheated out of being together and enjoying being married and doing fun things together like trips and vacations before a baby was thrown into the mix.

im also 7 years younger than husband, i had a 5 year plan to finish my bachelors and backpack europe with my husband next year and do other things i was interested in before having a child .

i guess overally im a little bitchy about the subject, im not saying im not going to be a good mother, i will but with all that there is also finanical im current in the process of immigrating to the US and it costs about 10 grand to do so 
    all this money is due within the next year ...having a new born ontop of that is really stressful 
  • It kind of is for us. I thought we were in the clear ovulation wise so we decided to risk it and I got knocked up. Serves me right for always rolling my eyes at women who said they got pregnant on accident!
  • Definitely a surprise.  I'd also been charting to avoid for a long time, with very reliable cycles.  We happened to DTD on the last normal safe day of a month I ovulated a couple of days early.  I still thought it was in the clear because it was 4 days before O.  Nope.  We were ABSOLUTELY one and done before this.  It's been a big struggle, but we're coming to see the positives (most of which have to do with our son's long-term future and little to do with ours, ha!)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • This was a surprise for us! We actually didn't think we could have anymore and DD was our one and only miracle baby.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Mine was a surprise too, but a happy one!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Mine was definitely a surprise. My mom had just undergone a double ooferectomy because of suspicious spots on both ovaries and I was being worked up for possible growths as well. That, combined with my super heavy periods, PMDD, and other GYN issues (including a traumatic birth experience with my son) was leading my GYN to think I probably couldn't get pregnant again. MH and I were living with the fact that we were one-and-done, but still using condoms...until we didn't. I in no way thought I would get pregnant so easily since the last discussion I had with my GYN was possibly scheduling a prophylactic double ooferectomy and being a menopausal 27 yr old. Just like with my son, it literally took one time when the goalie wasn't in the net for us to score! 

I was at first just shocked and I could tell MH was freaked out, but we are starting to get really excited. Especially since my son insists on kissing the baby and will have full on chats with the baby in mommy's body (he is insisting it is Baby Sister, but I'm trying to keep it neutral until we know for sure so he doesn't get disappointed). Last night, he was explaining "So, Baby Sister, some things we share, but some things are just Renzo's and just Baby's. You can't have my name or my trains, but I will share Dusty Crophopper (his favorite plane toy!). But you can have the baby bed (crib) since I am a big boy and sleep in a big boy bed. I won't share your diapers because I am a big boy and have Uppies (undies, but MH HATES that word so we use Uppies instead). And we share Mommy and Dadda. Always." He got really serious about that last part and I had to try to stifle a laugh-cry. I wish I got that on video!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is my super-surprise baby. My first were twins via IVF and many years of infertility. The third was a very welcomed natural surprise! This one (#4) is definitely a surprise and we're still warming up to it. My DH knew I wouldn't go back on BC after my years of fertility drugs -- I simply don't want to put more drugs in my body. He was considering a vasectomy and we were both on the fence about trying for #4 (him more on the fence then me), but I just never thought it would happen like this. I figured for #4, we'd plan it out if we decided to go for it. I was nursing my little guy for 2 years (stopped in July) and my periods only returned earlier this year. We avoided sex anywhere close to ovulation. Bammo - pregnant as soon as I stopped nursing. 

Oh and I also feel bad for secretly judging people -- "don't they know how to avoid getting pregnant?!". Gah, how terrible of me!
  • This is very much a happy surprise for my partner and myself :) I would not beat yourself up on judging in the past, this is how we learn :) Now going forward I bet you'll be less likely to judge someone and more likely to respond from a place of kindness and joy, regardless the scenario :) I think I am still in this happy state of shock and disbelief haha I can not get over the fact that I am two now and am going to be a mom ! EEk! 
  • YES! My first was an IVF baby and the second was a Clomid baby. I didn't think we could get pregnant naturally. Hadn't planned on having a third, so this has taken a little time to get use to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC Since April 09
    6 Rounds of Clomid & 4 Rounds Femara
    IVF#1 April 2012 ER- 4/9/12 ET- 4/14-12 Beta#1(4/27):160 Beta#2 4/30: 484
  • Complete surprise! My fiance kept saying that I was pregnant but I have always said I would be able to tell if I was.. Took at first pregnancy test as a "joke" to prove him wrong and after those 5 minutes of waiting I looked and broke down... 4 test later I came to terms with it and am now 9 weeks 5 days with my first ultrasound the 13th. Couldn't be more excited!
  • naemsmommynaemsmommy member
    edited October 2015
    Yep HUGE surprise here!  We have three kids already, ages 11, 9, and 4 (in November).  We were done!!!  I get really sick when I'm pregnant and I was feeling like that again.  I assumed at first it was the flu, but it was just the nausea, nothing else.  I also had really tender breasts.  I was 90% sure I was pregnant but put off testing because I was in denial lol.  The day I should have got my period I finally went and bought a test, and it was an instant DARK line, no doubt there.  I was in the bathroom at the mall and I burst into tears.  We were just so happy and content and it was nice that our kids were getting a bit bigger and we can do pretty much anything.  The idea of starting over again was just so overwhelming.  We have come to terms with it though and are pretty excited :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours was a bit of a surprise. I chart my fertility symptoms and the night before I usually enter the fertile phase we decided to have sex. However, I had forgotten to check my CM. Afterwards I figured we would be in the clear since I wouldn't ovulate for about 5-6 days. But i guess his sperm is just hardy as can be and was able to stick around. I was upset the first week we found out, but now I am quite happy and can't wait to see our little one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • alexandrac86alexandrac86 member
    edited October 2015
    Definitely a surprise to us. In no way were we trying, now our two will be 17 months apart. May 2nd Baby!
  • This is our 3rd and it was a surprise! Our youngest just turned 5 and we already got rid off all our maternity & baby stuff so we're starting from scratch.
  • Oh yes. My peanuts will be a little less than 14 months apart. My husby definitely got the "why did you do this to me" talk. But of course, we're ecstatic!
  • Yes and no. Honestly we had discussed a couple months ago about if it happens we'd be happy but we weren't actively trying and honestly were wanting to wait a couple years however I couldn't be more excited and terrified all squished together! And my husband is way more excited then I thought he'd be, considering we were about to try and sell the house and move to Washington state(been our goal for almost 3 years). but that's farther away from my family and extremely far from his. So we aren't doing that now.
  • Yes totally surprised!!! I'm 42yo, We have a 16 g, 5 g, 3 b. We are over the moon happy and grateful
  • Yes! But we are excited and a little nervous as I just turned 35 this will be baby #3 for us and our last. Went back on the pill but guess I wasn't on it long enough
  • This was our first "well, let's just see what happens" week- not even month, just the first week. Most of my relatives had trouble conceiving so I never expected it would happen so quickly!
  • Definitely a surprise for my fiancé and I. We were planning on getting married in October of next year. This is still the plan but maybe pushing it back a little and not having such a big wedding (I'd rather spend more money on the baby) I'm 22 years old and wanted to wait a little longer before having kids but we are both so very excited to have created a beautiful little human to do life with.
  • We were very surprised. Yes we were trying but it was the first time I ovulated since going off BC. Didn't think it would happen so fast!!