Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone else terrified of SIDS?

I know as long as you are following all recommended safety precautions there isn't much else you can do, but I still find myself riddled with worry about SIDS. Anyone else feeling this way? What do you do to make yourself worry less? I'm sure it's part of parenthood (I'm a FTM), but the fear of something happening to my baby is pretty overwhelming at times.

Re: Anyone else terrified of SIDS?

• Options

Did you have your baby recently? Could be part of the "baby blues" that many women experience or maybe a little post partum anxiety BUT it's pretty normal IMO. Lots of women have this fear, even STM's like myself.

That's not much you can do to get over these fears except give it time. Take a look at the things you're doing right now for your baby to lessen the risk and try to come to peace with that. It's tough and you aren't alone but if the fear and anxiety becomes too much to handle then maybe speak with your doctor. Good luck.

• Options
    Constantly. My DD is almost two and I still worry that one day she won't wake up. I am not sure that the fear of losing your child will ever go away.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got a Snuza Hero... Highly recommend it
  • Options
    Yes if my son gets too quiet I will wake up and look for chest rise and fall. 1st time I woke up before him because he slept like 4 hours I panicked and woke him up. I'm not an anxious person but my uncle's sister had 2 infants die actually from suffocation not SIDS but still. He's 8 weeks now and I'm getting over it.
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one. My little man is only a little over a week old, so I'm sure it will get easier with time. Just always so worried about something happening to him (welcome to parenthood, right? :-/). I think SIDS is the predominant worry because it's hard to know if you're doing everything possible to prevent it and it's information overload if you try to research it.
  • Options
    Yes! For some reason I started worrying about it last night. *ugh* It's horrible. I've got my baby in a wrap right now and after reading the suffocation warning in the manual I keep checking to make sure she's breathing.