November 2015 Moms

Cloth Diaper Check-In

Checking in with the mamas who plan on cloth diapering -- what kind of progress have you made so far?  Do you have everything ready, or are you still prepping?  What brands are you thinking you dig the most?  I got my very first fluffmail today (a couple of Flips, some CB, and a bunch of Lil Joeys), so I am in the middle of prepping my heart out.  I know different styles work for different babies, but the Lil Joeys seem really ideal for newborns, and they are so darn cute!

Re: Cloth Diaper Check-In

• We are planning to cloth diaper--starting with GMD pre folds and Blueberry covers for the first couple of months before transitioning to pockets. Got all newborn stuff prepped--4 wash and dry cycles for the pre folds! Everyone seems skeptical that we won't be able to make cloth work, but we are determined!
  • I'm still thinking if CDing, but not until we're out of newborn size disposables. I figure i have enough other things to get used to again with a new squish that the routine needed to CD was a bridge too far. I have been given one cloth diaper (it's tie dye, so excited by this!) so i figure we can try it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are super fortunate to have a store with CD's nearby that will let you rent a bunch of newborn sized CD's in different styles by the week (I think it's $15/week) until you're baby is big enough for the regular one size. You call them when the baby is born and they get the diapers to you within a week. They also let you choose 10 brand/styles that they carry in larger sizes to try out before you buy them (you give them $150 deposit which you get back as a gift card to buy the diapers you like).  

We figure we'll start with the newborn ones until LO is big enough for the one size and see 1) if we can handle CD in general and 2) which style or brand works best.  Can we keep a thread going though in the future to see everyone's experiences with different brands and styles?  I know there's a CD board but it wasn't super active the last time I checked. 
  • We already cloth diaper DD#1 (almost 14 months old) so I only needed to prep the newborn diapers (a mix of prefolds/covers, little joeys, and GMD workhorses) for now.
    We will need more prefolds and covers (we prefer flips but blueberry covers are amazing too) since both girls will be in diapers for a while but I'm buying them here and there since we shouldn't need them until DD#2 is 2-3 months old.
    It's crazy looking at the newborn diapers and realizing DD#1's tush was small enough to fit into them at one point!
    Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• I'm going to start with disposables and than move to cloth. Anyone of you ladies have experience with the one-size fit? I'm going to give the G-diapers a go, they are very inexpensive and have fairly good reviews.
  • We are planning on cloth diapering after the newborn stage.  We both come from families of medium-large babies, so the newborn stage probably won't be long enough to justify purchasing cloth newborn diapers.  DH is very interested in AIOs, so we're going to try some BumGenius Freetime and Diaper Rite AIOs, but we will probably also try some pocket diapers, BumGenius, Diaper Rite, and Imagine Baby.  Almost everyone we've told has had a very positive reaction to us cloth diapering, at least once they hear that cloth diapers aren't all prefolds and pins anymore. :)  The only exception is my MIL who believes I will get sick of the laundry after 1 day, because she did.  
  • We have disposables just in case for the first little while, but we actually bought a trial of newborn cloth diapers to use for the first 3 months to see how things go and if we want to invest!
  • We are clothing diapers once we get out of the hospital.

I have cloth prefolds in premie/newborn sizes .

Kawaii bamboo pocket diapers one size

Kawaii cloth prefold one size diapers

And a few small gdiapers

• DH and I are doing cloth diapers one LO is out of newborns. We're doing bumgenius aio since my mom was generous enough to buy enough for us to start (possibly totally). A lot of people think it's too difficult but they also still think cloth diapers are the prefolds. We just washed them all and need to bring them up from the basement (where our machine is). Other than that, we still need to get a diaper sprayer
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited October 2015
    We are cloth diapering. Got a bunch of bumgenius 1 size so we may need to start with disposables depending on baby's size.
  • This will be the third kiddo we have cloth diapered. I love it!
  • So we have a pretty sizable stash already. I did get 2 packs of NB and 1 pack of size 1 disposables as we're FTP and if we want a buffer of a few days before diving into cloth diapering we can have it. I have mostly Kawaii baby for NB. Other brands in the stash are coquibaby, alvababy and ecoable. All are pocket with the occasional AIO. They're all prepped and ready to go, baby will be here no later than Tuesday night. To be honest I've read and read, and watched youtube videos but I still feel like I don't have a friggin clue what I'm doing in terms of snapping and sizing and the different types of inserts, but at least I have all the materials I need. I'm super scared I'm going to have blow outs and leaks all the time due to user error. Murrrrr.
  • We use BumGenius 4.0 pretty much exclusively over here. I love them! For the NB phase we found Bummis prefolds with a cover (I like thirsties), worked the best for their specific fit. I just need to give these a fresh wash and put them in the dresser :)
  • We are going to cd once baby is out of the newborn stage... We have chosen fuzzibuns and they are all washed and ready to go!! Can't wait to start using the cloth diapers :)
  • We'll be using thirsties covers and prefolds for at least the first 6 months (assuming I don't hate it), since we are going with a diaper service since we don't have our own washer/dryer. Once we move in the spring to a house, we may switch to AIOs or pockets. I'm excited, we just ordered our starter kit from the diaper service!
  • I love cloth diapers!!! Our daughter is cloth diapered, (we are working on potty training). Our favorites are flip covers with flip stay dry inserts and a Apple cheeks bamboo booster (DD is a big wetter), and we love bumgenius 4.0 diapers! We have such a large stash (they get addicting) that we have enough to cloth both! I have all the ones for the baby ready to go!
  • Is the diaper sprayer super necessary?
  • We've cd DS "part time" meaning really only at home, not when we leave the house. He loves them! We plan to do the same with DD.
  • We are planning on cloth diapering. We're planning on starting with covers and prefolds and slowly buying more and more AIOs as time goes on. We will probably use disposables until DD is big enough for the one sizes. Right now I'm just stocking up on prefolds and inserts until after the baby shower (hoping to get a fair amount of covers,) so I don't end up over purchasing a certain brand if we're gifted a few of them. The flip and rumparooz seem to be the best fit for us so I'm really hoping she'll fit into them nicely.
  • Mercy- the sprayer isn't at all necessary, so long as you don't mind doing the "dunk and swish." We're lucky enough that our shower head is long enough to reach over the toilet, if we turn it to the single stream setting and turn the at er on about half way, it does the job with minimal splash. Using disposable liners can help avoid having to rinse diapers, but you will no doubt have to do some rinsing (especially with breast feeding blow outs!) YouTube videos on cloth diapering routines helped me figure out what was reasonable for our situation, I even searched "cloth diapers and poop" once which brought up some very helpful videos on how and why others chose to deal with the poo.

Yes. It's a life saver. For newborn EBF poop you don't need it but once they start solids or if they're on formula you'll want one.
  • We use prefolds with flips covers.
    I don't have any NB sizes though and didn't feel like buying them so we will use Honest Company for a while first. My daughter never fit in NB sizes so we'll see how big this one is.
    I might need up buying some NB prefolds if he's tiny.
  • We are going with disposables through first month but then I'm really hoping to switch to Flip diapers and inserts. They seem to me to be the easiest, the pockets and all-in-ones seem like you would have to change the whole thing everytime anyway which I'm hoping not to do (unless blow out or leakage). And I've had one child care center tell me that they won't do cloth diapers unless they have disposable inserts, with flip they have disposable inserts that will work. The stuff on the Flip website is much more diverse and cuter than at buy buy baby, etc. I'm going to have to look into the sprayer, dunking in the toilet just sounds too gross for me!.
  • Mercy- the sprayer isn't at all necessary, so long as you don't mind doing the "dunk and swish." We're lucky enough that our shower head is long enough to reach over the toilet, if we turn it to the single stream setting and turn the at er on about half way, it does the job with minimal splash. Using disposable liners can help avoid having to rinse diapers, but you will no doubt have to do some rinsing (especially with breast feeding blow outs!) YouTube videos on cloth diapering routines helped me figure out what was reasonable for our situation, I even searched "cloth diapers and poop" once which brought up some very helpful videos on how and why others chose to deal with the poo.

My shower head also reaches. That's a good idea, I'll probably try and see how that works first. Thanks!
    I watched quite a few videos, and still feel a bit overwhelmed!
    I've been waiting till my shower before I buy any, so I think once I have them on hand and can play with them myself a bit it'll be better.

My shower head also reaches. That's a good idea, I'll probably try and see how that works first. Thanks!
    I've been waiting till my shower before I buy any, so I think once I have them on hand and can play with them myself a bit it'll be better.

My shower head doesn't spray hard enough and I wouldn't want to move it back and forth with a really poopie diaper. The sprayer has been great. It's very powerful. I actually use it when washing my shower and tub now and it gets them very clean!

Also get a wet bag for the bathroom and one for the bedroom - where you'll be changing the baby. That way you're not walking around with soaked diapers. We also have a spare for when the others are in the laundry.

It can see overwhelming in the beginning but it's actually easy. Plus the money savings are wroth it.
    We just sold all our girl diaper covers for about half of what we paid for them. They were used for 2+ years. With that money we bought boy covers for this one. All our prefolds and inserts we are re-using.
  • Pontot31 said:

Mercy- the sprayer isn't at all necessary, so long as you don't mind doing the "dunk and swish." We're lucky enough that our shower head is long enough to reach over the toilet, if we turn it to the single stream setting and turn the at er on about half way, it does the job with minimal splash. Using disposable liners can help avoid having to rinse diapers, but you will no doubt have to do some rinsing (especially with breast feeding blow outs!) YouTube videos on cloth diapering routines helped me figure out what was reasonable for our situation, I even searched "cloth diapers and poop" once which brought up some very helpful videos on how and why others chose to deal with the poo.

My shower head doesn't spray hard enough and I wouldn't want to move it back and forth with a really poopie diaper. The sprayer has been great. It's very powerful. I actually use it when washing my shower and tub now and it gets them very clean!

Also get a wet bag for the bathroom and one for the bedroom - where you'll be changing the baby. That way you're not walking around with soaked diapers. We also have a spare for when the others are in the laundry.

It can see overwhelming in the beginning but it's actually easy. Plus the money savings are wroth it.
    We just sold all our girl diaper covers for about half of what we paid for them. They were used for 2+ years. With that money we bought boy covers for this one. All our prefolds and inserts we are re-using.
    Great advice! I don't have any bags yet, but didn't think of getting more than the one. Makes sense though.
    Thanks for kind words :) it does seem a bit overwhelming right now! A lot of steps and terminology and what not!
    I am excited and determined though, so many benefits I've heard and read!
  • I told my mom that my husband and I wanted to give cloth a shot, so she got me a set of flips covers and various inserts to get us started. I opened them at the baby shower, and everyone was like, "What are those?" Cloth diapers. "No, they're not. They're too fancy!"

I assume all you cloth diaper people are also going cloth wipe. I haven't gotten any yet. What do you all use for those? I have a wipe warmer and have been watching videos on different recipes with coconut oil and other things to keep them wet. Some of the people on the videos bought double-lined cloth wipes, and some just cut up old towels or T-shirts, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Do they need to be a certain kind of material?
  • gipfish said:

I told my mom that my husband and I wanted to give cloth a shot, so she got me a set of flips covers and various inserts to get us started. I opened them at the baby shower, and everyone was like, "What are those?" Cloth diapers. "No, they're not. They're too fancy!"

I assume all you cloth diaper people are also going cloth wipe. I haven't gotten any yet. What do you all use for those? I have a wipe warmer and have been watching videos on different recipes with coconut oil and other things to keep them wet. Some of the people on the videos bought double-lined cloth wipes, and some just cut up old towels or T-shirts, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Do they need to be a certain kind of material?

I started using cloth wipes but every concoction I tried have my daughter a rash. I ended up using un-scented natural care disposable wipes. It was easier that way.
  • urby87urby87 member
    edited October 2015
    gipfish said:
    I told my mom that my husband and I wanted to give cloth a shot, so she got me a set of flips covers and various inserts to get us started. I opened them at the baby shower, and everyone was like, "What are those?" Cloth diapers. "No, they're not. They're too fancy!" I assume all you cloth diaper people are also going cloth wipe. I haven't gotten any yet. What do you all use for those? I have a wipe warmer and have been watching videos on different recipes with coconut oil and other things to keep them wet. Some of the people on the videos bought double-lined cloth wipes, and some just cut up old towels or T-shirts, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Do they need to be a certain kind of material?
    I'm planning on storing our wipes dry and just doing water for wet diapers, and a commercial spray for poopy ones.  I'm open to changing this plan if I feel like it's not working out, though.  I know some people feel it's way more convenient to store wipes wet, so my first move for wet storage would be making a diluted version of the commercial spray to store wipes in.

@MercyC1130 You can get away with it but after cloth diapering 2 babies and getting ready for our third, I HIGHLY recommend a diaper sprayer and a SprayPal. You don't need it at first but as they add solids the diapers get nastier. Again, you can get away with skipping but hubby will even spray them out since we have both of those items!
  • gipfish said:
    I told my mom that my husband and I wanted to give cloth a shot, so she got me a set of flips covers and various inserts to get us started. I opened them at the baby shower, and everyone was like, "What are those?" Cloth diapers. "No, they're not. They're too fancy!" I assume all you cloth diaper people are also going cloth wipe. I haven't gotten any yet. What do you all use for those? I have a wipe warmer and have been watching videos on different recipes with coconut oil and other things to keep them wet. Some of the people on the videos bought double-lined cloth wipes, and some just cut up old towels or T-shirts, so I'm not sure where to go with this. Do they need to be a certain kind of material?

@gipfish cloth wipes just haven't worked for us. I use them for noses. Lol
  • We're also using Honest Company disposables for the newborn stage before we move exclusively to Best Bottoms. I've been stocking up slowly for the last few months, and I still have a few more covers I'd like to have in our stash. We're using Grovia cloth wipes - they are SO soft! Honest has a bum wash spray that we're going to try, basically just spraying wipes as we need them. We'll see how that works out before I try a handmade wipe solution with Castile soap, coconut oil, water, and lavender oil. It'll be some trial an error, but we'll figure it out. We don't have sprayer yet, but I'm definitely considering one once we move to solids. A friend of mine would rinse hers with the kitchen sink sprayer and it completely grossed me out! No indulging in her cooking!
  • Lolo427Lolo427 member
    edited October 2015
    I have bumgenius cloth wipes and spray solution which I'll use for DD if she has a poop diaper and then just water (maybe coconut oil mixed in too -not sure yet) if she's just wet. We have babyganics diaper cream but I want to check out Earth Angel as well.

Edit: cut off for some reason
  • Good to know that cloth wipes aren't always magically anti-diaper-rash.

@oxley09 I looked up the Grovia wipes. They LOOK soft! I read somewhere to use 100% cotton and these are mostly polyester. Anybody know why or whether this is important?
  • Lolo427 said:

I have bumgenius cloth wipes and spray solution which I'll use for DD if she has a poop diaper and then just water (maybe coconut oil mixed in too -not sure yet) if she's just wet. We have babyganics diaper cream but I want to check out Earth Angel as well.

For some reason earth mama angel baby rash cream gave my daughter a rash. As did coconut oil!

• Pontot31 said:
    I have bumgenius cloth wipes and spray solution which I'll use for DD if she has a poop diaper and then just water (maybe coconut oil mixed in too -not sure yet) if she's just wet. We have babyganics diaper cream but I want to check out Earth Angel as well. Edit: cut off for some reason
    For some reason earth mama angel baby rash cream gave my daughter a rash. As did coconut oil!
    Bummer!  I always hear such good things about EMAB...
  • urby87 said:

Pontot31 said:

Lolo427 said:

I know! And I loved the nipple cream for myself. But it made her butt worse!

I also learned not to wipe for pee unless she was really soaked. Added more moisture isn't good and urine is sterile anyway.
  • urby87urby87 member
    edited October 2015
    Pontot31 said:
    Pontot31 said:
    I have bumgenius cloth wipes and spray solution which I'll use for DD if she has a poop diaper and then just water (maybe coconut oil mixed in too -not sure yet) if she's just wet. We have babyganics diaper cream but I want to check out Earth Angel as well. Edit: cut off for some reason
    I know! And I loved the nipple cream for myself. But it made her butt worse! I also learned not to wipe for pee unless she was really soaked. Added more moisture isn't good and urine is sterile anyway.
    One thing that sort of goes along the lines of not wiping for a lightly-peed-in diaper is whether or not to spray poopy ones if LO is exclusively breastfed...  I've heard/read this is fine because EBF poop is water soluble, but the idea of putting poop straight into my washing machine where all of my other clothes get washed kind of squicks me out.  Any ST+ CD mamas who also EBF and have experience on this front?
  • We've got a stack of newborn diapers and wipes to go through before he gets in those adorable cloth diapers! We have a ton of Rumparooz and some Charlie Bananas to try out. I have them all stuffed and folded perfectly and put away just waiting for him!
  • gipfish said:

I told my mom that my husband and I wanted to give cloth a shot, so she got me a set of flips covers and various inserts to get us started. I opened them at the baby shower, and everyone was like, "What are those?" Cloth diapers. "No, they're not. They're too fancy!"

We cloth diaper and use cloth wipes. We use the wipe warmer and just use water. There is really no need to make a solution. Much easier to just add water as needed.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13