May 2016 Moms

Genetic screening

I decided to opt into genetic screening because my DH and I have had a previous loss (blighted ovum) and our nephew has possible autism. Well love our baby either way we just want to make sure if they need services or special care we can be educated advocates from the start.
But now I'm wavering. I'm not sure what the risk/benefits are, especially to the baby. I don't want to unnecessarily poke and prod little bean sprout.
Any guidance or thoughts?

Re: Genetic screening

• I don't think you can screen for autism. My understanding is the NIPT (Non-Invasive Pre-Natal Testing) screens for known genetic abnormalities. Autism isn't linked to a known genetic abnormality. The NIPT I got (which is supposedly the newest version) screens for things like Trisomy 18 (Edward's Syndrome) Trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome), etc. as early as 10 weeks. We also got the Cystic Fibrosis screening. 

The NIPT carries no risk to the baby. It's a blood draw. There are more invasive tests if your initial test comes back as higher risk for something. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Agree with the poster above.  As far as I know you cannot test for autism prior to birth.  We have also decided to do a non-invasive pre-natal testing (referred to as FirstScreen in my area).  Like the PP, there are no risks to the baby because it's just an ultrasound and blood test, but the benefits for our family would be that we are aware of a possible diagnosis and can work with our doctor to plan early if needed.  CVS and amnio testing both carry a chance for miscarriage, so we will just cross that bridge if we come to it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys! I know there's no test for autism right now but I'm glad I'm not looking at a scary needle situation!