Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Fast flow vs. slow flow nipples

edited October 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
I've recently had my husband start to give my almost one month old a bottle of breast milk every once in a while so I get a break and we're using Avent brand bottles with the "newborn" flow nipple on it which I'm assuming is a slow flow?? Anyway, he tends to finish a bottle with 3-4 oz of milk in it in just a few minutes which I've read is way too fast. And I don't know if it's my imagination but he seems fussier at he breast afterwards like he wants that quick of a feeding again which I don't think he can get "au natural". My question is should I find a slower flowing nipple or what have you guys found to be a good flow for your little ones around my guys age?

Thanks!

Re: Fast flow vs. slow flow nipples

• Options
    My LO at a month old was using preemie nipples.. He's always been boob-in-a-bottle fed and started with a level 1 Dr Brown's nipple. He had stomach problems and required surgery, so at a month old he was moved to a preemie nipple. He's back to a level 1 now, but initially on a level 1 he would guzzle it and then have an upset belly( very fussy!)

Unless you have a really strong let down I would imagine it's perfectly-paced and either he's wanting it faster, or it's bothering his tummy to get it that quick. Tough call!

My LO never took directly to boob after leaving the hospital so I'm not sure my experience is really relevant to help. Sorry! I hope you figure it out soon so daddy can continue to give you breaks.
  • Options
    I used preemie and level 1 nipples until LO was 2 months old. Even now at 5 months he uses level 1 or level 2. I don't want to go any higher so he'll continue to accept breastfeeding and he hasn't shown any issue with it going too slow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree withe PP, try a preemie nipple, also google paced bottle feeding for the breastfed baby. You wanna try and slow the feeding diwn and make them work more for it and take breaks so it mimics breastfeeding. You basically hold the baby up in a sitting position, keep the bottle flat so they have to suck for the milk, and when baby stops sucking tilt the bottle down so its not pouring into their mouth. There are great youtube videos on this!
  • Options
    I hated the Avent bottles!! They are super fast and seemed to drown my LO. I switched to the munchkin latch bottles, they're awesome, and especially for breastfeeding because the nipple is quite similar to a real one