October 2015 Moms
Options

OMFG 1week old baby will NOT sleep!

LouislLouisl member
edited October 2015 in October 2015 Moms
Unless he has a boob in his mouth he just cries at the absolute top of his lungs for hours without stopping. I only know this because tonight I was just at my wits end and thought he would tire himself out but it's been 2 hours of screaming. He's eaten a TON, had 2 dirty diapers, and absolutely refuses to sleep. The only thing that soothes him is to put him in the swing but I know I can't leave him there all night so I let him sleep 15 mins in there, move him, and he wakes and starts screaming. And I just can't give him a breast every second of the day right?? We were supplementing with formula because the pediatrician thought he was hungry. But today he ate at the breast every hour and pushed the bottle away so WTF DO YOU WANT baby?!?!?! STM's any advice appreciated. I read Happiest Baby on the Block and was just soothing and breastfeeding all the time but doesn't he need to sleep at some point? He's maybe slept 5 hours all day/night. HELP.

ETA: not just screaming but kicking and flailing like crazy the whole time.

Re: OMFG 1week old baby will NOT sleep!

• Options
    I am a FTM and my LO is a month today, he was an ok sleeper the first two weeks, then he became colicky... He doesn't sleep more than 2 hours upstairs in my room, but if he sleeps in either the swing or the pack n play he sleeps like a champ ( at least 4 hrs straight) but I did have to change bottles and prob formula today. I didn't even know LO was colicky my mom had to tell me and ur LO sounds like how my brother was when he was born. My mom said she had to walk around with him high up on her shoulders. Also sounds like LO has major gas as well. My son was doing that as well. Try gripe drops and anti- gas drops as well. I'm sorry that you are going thru this!
  • Options
    Try checking his whole body out. Sometimes they cry like that because they're in pain. Check fingers and toes for hairs wrapped around them too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is he cluster feeding? Mine is one week old and did this day 4 & 5 all day and night every hour. Mine sleeps 3 hour stretches during the day anywhere, but at night will only sleep on me. If I put him down anywhere else, he wakes up. I'm not getting any sleep at night. I'm just riding it out and maybe within another week some of this may work itself out. Sounds like you tried supplementing, which we have been doing this if my boobs need a break and/or I need an hour of sleep. What about a pacifier? This is a challenging time right now, but I learned from my first these patterns change so quickly, within days. Hang in there Momma.
  • Options
    Have you tried double swaddling him? Our little guy only will sleep if double wrapped like we had to do at the hospital due to having heat retention issues
  • Options
    Why not just let him sleep in the swing?
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    J1DJ1D member
    I also think it sounds like maybe gas. You can burp baby, use gripe water and you can try bicycling his legs to see if he'll pass gas. If you are awake to watch him it's ok for him to nap in the swing. He shouldn't full night sleep in the swing but a nap if you are awake to watch him should be just fine. If I understand it correctly the big reason baby shouldn't sleep in the swing is because their head can slump forward and compromise their airway... I could be wrong, but I believe that is the reason so if you are awake to watch and make sure he can breathe ok, napping should be fine.
    Someone else mentioned checking for hair. It's pretty common for mom's (or any other long haired person's) hair to get in baby's clothing in the wash and just during life in general and those hairs down in the foot of a sleeper can wrap around baby's toes and cut off circulation and cause pain. So for little boys charm l check fingers, toes and their penis (yup)- basically anything that sticks out- and make sure there is no hair wrapped around anything.
  • Options
    I have read the colic drops worked for people like this too. I second the pacifier if you haven't tried, better to start early or may not take. I do a bottle of breastmilk before bed so I can know how much she takes and try to get her full. Does your swing recline? I have a combo bouncer swing from Graco and the seat reclines. So I keep it like that all the time as she naps in it. That way her airway is good. Maybe that would work for nighttime?
  • Options
    Make sure he has a good burp even if he's just Nursing for comfort. Sometimes when they cluster feed they take in a lot of air and it gets trapped. def recommend those gas drops.

the first six weeks are rough! It will probably get harder before it gets better, so try to keep things in perspective. It won't be like this forever. Most babies don't sleep through the night for months and months. It's an adjustment, to say the least.

Make your partner help by getting up and walking with the baby and get him in a good swaddle. You need some sleep too!

White noise helps, you can download free apps.

If he sleeps in the swing, try a rock and play sleeper. They are like $50 and so worth it.
  • Options
    Both of my daughters slept in their swing until they were 4 months old. I would not move him. Just move the swing in next to your bed.
  • Options
    With DD we used the swaddleme blankets because we were able to get her in a little tighter that way so she could calm down. They also have a hole in the bottom so that you can buckle them into a car seat or swing but keep them swaddled. There was a point she would not sleep without the swing, so for about a week my husband and I took shifts of keeping an eye on her while the other slept. It's not ideal but it helped us regain some sanity there. She ended up being back in the crib about a week later, but only with the swaddleme blankets. She wouldn't take a regular swaddle for anything.
  • Options
    J1D said:
    I also think it sounds like maybe gas. You can burp baby, use gripe water and you can try bicycling his legs to see if he'll pass gas. 

I agree with this poster... It sounds like gas. I was absolutely awful in the beginning in getting the gas out. Pumping the legs worked best when DD was "brand new". She fed like a beast (I'm talking every 2-3 hours for an hour at a time... so I was getting 1-2 hours in-between breastfeeding). It got to the point where I would wear her all the time so I could easily slip her on the boob, pop her out to pump her legs and put her back chest-to-chest to get needed rest for myself. I've never used gripe water or anything like that... we just went through different leg pumping/cycling/back patting to get rid of the gas.
  • Options
    I had this exact same thing happen the day my LO turned 1 week old. After 2 nights of my husband and me not sleeping unless he was on us or breastfeeding, I asked our doctor who advised to keep him awake 3 hours prior to bedtime getting him on nightly routine. It is hard work but amazing results sleeping until next feed in his Rock and Play again. He also suggested my husband giving a pumped bottle after I breastfeed as supply is usually lowest in the evenings to ensure he has a full belly then swaddle tightly and lay him down after bottle. Hope you have the same luck!
  • Options
    Will he take a pinkie finger instead of the boob. If he's sucking just for comfort your DH should be able to comfort him while you sleep. Those first weeks DH and I traded off sleeping in 2-3 hour segments since DD wouldn't sleep unless she was on one of us.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is just over 2 weeks old now and is getting into a similar pattern...which is also the pattern that we went they with DS1. He would go ALL day without sleeping, and wanted to eat nonstop. For DD, we are having some success with either a paci or having her suck on our pinky finger. Do you have a rock n play? She sleeps better in that than anywhere flat. I'd also let LO sleep in the swing if that works...or at least for longer increments than 15minutrs, if only to maintain your sanity!! Also, have you tried babywearing? That is helping us during the day right now as well. Hang in there...the first 6-8 weeks can be tough, but this too shall pass! I promise it gets better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the input. I will try the gas drops for sure. At first we were swaddling and that helped but we are in Los Angeles and he was sweating through the swaddle (we were doing miracle blanket). Even just wearing a diaper and shirt, he was in a puddle of sweat so pediatrician said no more swaddling unfortunately. His legs and arms flailing definitely don't help but it's too warm here even with the AC on. We are using white noise, to no avail. He won't take a paci but will suck on my thumb. Any suggestions for better pacifiers? I tried the avent. He's already getting some nipple confusion between the breast and bottle so I hate to introduce another thing. Also I have puppps rash really bad like all over my body and skin to skin makes it worse which is just making this whole thing harder. DH is doing skin to skin though. I really appreciate all the input though because we were just like is this normal?!
  • Options
    I think the paci my LO started on in hospital is the AVENT. It's the teal circle one named SOOTHIE.
  • Options
    Chiropractor, gas drops, infant massage, tummy time (moves gas along), pacifier, and the Ollie swaddle (google it - amazing!) would be my recommendations. Good luck momma!
  • Options
    DD really liked the MAM pacifiers.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ive been given a lot of advice over the past few days from some of my family members who have little babies. My eldest cousin said when her son was a newborn he would cry constantly and she would constantly feed him. It didn't help. The pediatrician told her to put a little bit of Karo syrup and rice cereal in his bottle when you lay him down to sleep at night. It helps with colic and helps him stay full longer. Maybe ask your pediatrician about it.
  • Options
    Yeah.....they don't sleep.much. Let him sleep in the swing longer. My dd took long naps in there all the time. Try gas drops. We did not push pacific for.dd but when she took one it was a wubbanub which I think has an advent one on the end.
  • Options
    Have you looked at Woombies? They're kind of like swaddlers that allow baby to keep moving around a little, and they make some mesh ones especially for hot weather. Just a thought :)
  • Options
    Or idk which material you were using for your miracle blanket, but muslin swaddlers have always worked the best for us :)
  • Options
    Great suggestions I'll check these out for sure! Last night we had a much better night, it was just boob, boob, bottle, diaper, sleep and so amazing to get a reprieve. I took everyones advice about maybe he just wants to sleep on a person, and that made everything easier.
  • Options
    I feel your pain!!! My Dr said that we were overfeeding, causing more discomfort and gas for baby. At 1st we took turns staying up and letting her sleep on out chest. I started a routine: when she woke up I'd undo her swaddle, feed from one boob, change her diaper and reswaddle, feed from 2nd boob, lay her on my chest upright for 15-20 minutes to eliminate reflux and gas, slowly I put her into her bassinet. I tip fwd to get her off my chest, sushing and rocking her slowly onto the mattress, then place my hands on her chest so she thinks I'm still there for about a minute. Then slowly back away, fingers crossed! I got out our humidifier, turn it on full blast for some white noise. If she fusses and screams for 10 min, we pick her up, put in pacifier, and bounce her. Most of the time she just has gas. It's been pain staking slow, but she has gotten much better with consistency. Why doesn't anyone tell you this will happen when you leave the hospital?! It's horrible! I hope my crazy system helps, I never thought she'd sleep on her own, but she is now. Good luck!!!!