May 2016 Moms

Active and Fit Pregnancy

Hi ladies!!! 

I am very active with sports and the gym.  Is anyone else going to keep up their workout routines throughout their pregnancy?  I unfortunately am giving up my 4 days of soccer that I play but I'm still going to go to the gym all of the time.  I am very close to one of my instructors at the gym and I let her know that I was almost 5 weeks pregnant and had some concerns.   She told me that anything I did before I was pregnant (obviously with a few exceptions like contact sports) I can do during the pregnancy.  We are going to sit down next week to work up a complete pregnancy workout plan and diet so I can stay fit and healthy during the next 9 months.  

Anyone else going to continue working out and staying active?? 

Re: Active and Fit Pregnancy

• The general rule of thumb is to not start any kind of new exercise routine. I asked my Dr about working out before I got pregnant and she agreed with that statement. I am into weight lifting, running, hiking. I'll listen to my body and do what I can. The goal is to stay fit and active the whole time!
  • Before I became pregnant with my daughter I was pretty active. When I found out I was pregnant I had to quit rock climbing and Insanity workouts. I did other low key workout videos for a while and played golf until I was 8 months, and by that time even golf seemed like a major workout lol. Towards the end all I could really do was walk. This time around my main source of exercise will probably be chasing around a toddler if I'm being honest ;)

Kudos to you for making a plan! I didn't really have a gameplan for working out last time, and a lot of the time I just felt too tired or unmotivated to do anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to continue my normal weight and cardio routine. We will see.
  • I jog fairly regularly. I was planning to cut down just a little, but more to avoid overheating and dehydration. Instead of 3 miles I'm doing two. And instead of every other day, 3 times a week. At least, that's the plan >.<

That said, I was jogging with weight loss goals in mind as well, so that's obviously behind me!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I worked out up until my son was born last time, so that's hopefully the plan this time too. I was lucky and had a fairly good delivery and great recovery, and I honestly think it was partially due to working out consistently. So that's enough motivation for me to continue as long as I can!
  • I run a few times a week and was doing HIIT classes before i got pregnant. Definitely plan on staying in shape
  • I am pretty active as well and I wasn't when I was pregnant the first time and I gained 39 pounds I really want to go no more than 30 this time around. So I have been walking and doing light weights and I really hope I can keep it up! Because it took me almost a year to loose all that weight I gained.

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• I am very active! :) I run and lift 5 times a week. I am a NASM PT. I plan on not announcing my pregnancy until Christmas. I also plan on eating as clean as possible. It took me a long time to get my body in shape after my DS. I plan on not making it so hard on myself this time around. Plus as someone previously posted you can continue to do what your regular workout schedule. I drink a lot of water during workouts as to not overheat. I have stopped drinking pre workout and taking supplements. I will continuing with my protein and I have started taking prenatal vitamins. Stopping pre workout killed me the past week but I am getting used to it. I pray a healthy and fit pregnancy to all!
  • My #1 activity is horseback riding. Obviously, there is a risk of falling with riding. I told my instructor that I wanted to keep riding for a while...but only low-risk stuff and only with a saddle. But, even this last weekend when I wasn't sure if I was pregnant yet or not, I was really scared while riding my naughty, moody school horse. I will need to think on this... 

In any case, I will need an alternative outlet. I used to run and am considering taking that up again with fall coming around. I'm also thinking of starting yoga. :)
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Oh, and food-wise, I have actually lost 115 pounds from my highest weight. It is scary for me to start eating maintenance-level calories, and I worry I'll never be this size again, but it is what it is. Baby is worth it :)

I will continue my vegetarian diet, which I do for animal-rights reasons. I eat lots of fruits and veggies :) Glad I don't have to give up MY sushi (veggie sushi!) hehehe

An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

• I am very active! :) I run and lift 5 times a week. I am a NASM PT. I plan on not announcing my pregnancy until Christmas. I also plan on eating as clean as possible. It took me a long time to get my body in shape after my DS. I plan on not making it so hard on myself this time around. Plus as someone previously posted you can continue to do what your regular workout schedule. I drink a lot of water during workouts as to not overheat. I have stopped drinking pre workout and taking supplements. I will continuing with my protein and I have started taking prenatal vitamins. Stopping pre workout killed me the past week but I am getting used to it. I pray a healthy and fit pregnancy to all!
    _______

What kind of protein? Is whey safe during pregnancy? I have since cut it out but I miss it. 
  • I was walking four miles five days a week before it started to get too warm. Now I'm down to two miles. Hoping to get back to four with the cool weather!
  • I'm used to a 1000-1200 calorie diet but obviously now, I have to be smarter about it.  I've actually upped my cardio and am taking the dog for an extra run every day (he definitely doesn't mind at all) so I'm still doing two-a-days with working out.  Typically after work I head to the gym for an hour and then take the dog for a run.  Now the dog gets some extra mileage! :) 

My parents and sister (only the inner circle is aware of the pregnancy) keep saying that the "bouncing" from running is not good.  Has anyone else heard of that?  I hate the elliptical and the bike.  I'm a runner so I'd prefer the treadmill and running outside. 

Thanks! 
  • Yes! I strength-train with a trainer three days a week and do cardio five/six days a week (usually running or power-walking but sometimes I throw in the stair-stepper or elliptical to mix it up!). I also like to take my 18 month old DS for long walks in our neighborhood and on nearby trails. I plan to keep doing what I am doing as long as it still feels okay.
  • baybeekay said:

I'm used to a 1000-1200 calorie diet but obviously now, I have to be smarter about it.  I've actually upped my cardio and am taking the dog for an extra run every day (he definitely doesn't mind at all) so I'm still doing two-a-days with working out.  Typically after work I head to the gym for an hour and then take the dog for a run.  Now the dog gets some extra mileage! :) 

My parents and sister (only the inner circle is aware of the pregnancy) keep saying that the "bouncing" from running is not good.  Has anyone else heard of that?  I hate the elliptical and the bike.  I'm a runner so I'd prefer the treadmill and running outside. 

Thanks! 
    @baybeekay - As long as your doctor doesn't tell you to stop running it should be fine as long as you can. My doc told me "you'll know" when you get too pregnant to run because it becomes really uncomfortable. As someone who doesn't love running though, I didn't test this theory the first time around... So I can't say from first-hand experience!
  • I drink Whey Protein and Cellucor is the brand. Everything I have read says it's safe. I follow bodybuilding.com and there are some fit mamas on there that continue to drink their protein shakes. I'm no nutritionist or doctor but I feel it is safe :)
  • I've stayed active through both of my pregnancies and intend to do the same with #3! :) 

@baybeekay running is fine. Just do what feels good to you and listen to your body. I run through my 1st and 2nd trimesters and then stop by 3rd because it's uncomfortable. Some women run the whole time! 
  • @mrsjlopez12 Love Cellucor and bodybuilding.com! I follow Jessie Hilgenberg and Ashley Horner. Talk about fit pregnancies!!
  • @cortney626 Ooh I love them as well! I also follow Danielle Waltman on IG she is a Cellucor ambassador and a fit mama of two and C sections. :) Jessie Hilgenburg looks amazing after her first pregnancy and I love how Ashley Horner has stretch marks and she doesn't care. She doesn't let that set her back:) Inspiration for sure!
  • Trying to maintain my gym habits as long as I'm able. Weightlifting 3x/week, Cardio 2x/week. Just got a prenatal yoga DVD. If I like it, I may sign up for a class. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • wcolemanwcoleman member
    edited August 2015
    I run the fitness program at the University of Delaware, am a bodybuilder, and have my ACE personal training cert and specialty certs. I'm still lifting 5x per week and doing cardio 3-4x per week. Thinking about adding a prenatal yoga class on Sundays to unwind. So far the hardest part is fighting through fatigue! We are due May 5th 2016, so about 5 weeks along!
  • I just finished 2 rounds of 21 Day Fix in an effort to get rid of the last of my pregnancy weight from last time around. I'm still about 9 pounds from my goal and I'll for sure keep working out and having a Shakeology every day.

My goal this pregnancy is to avoid the ridiculous sugar addiction that I developed last pregnancy (I literally could not eat Sour Patch Kids fast enough) and hit the gym as much as I can.
  • With my last pregnancy I stayed pretty active. I do a lot of walking, which is better than nothing. A few weeks ago, I set a goal to walk the 758 miles it would take to reach my son's grave by Christmas. I'm so close to passing 200 miles.

This pregnancy I hope my aversions aren't as bad as last time. There was a lot of time where I couldn't stomach milk, eggs, chicken, and cheese. That made things pretty difficult especially when I wanted to eat healthy. My intentions are good, but we'll see how that goes.
    Anniversary

• I am going to continue doing my body pump and spin classes as long as possible.  Once I don't feel comfortable doing that, I'll find something else to do.  I am going to do beginner and prenatal yoga classes too.  

With #1, I went to the gym until a few weeks before I went into labor.  I only stopped when I did to avoid paying for a month I knew I wouldn't use.
  • I am so lost- it seems like everyone on this board is all about it- which I love!  I have one more softball game this year (championship) tomorrow and I play 3rd- I have played for 22 years, so my body is more than used to all of the motions.  Everyone I talk to or ask about it though (or look at other sites) say things like "why would you risk it?"  "it's not worth it"... i'm not saying one game is "worth it" but it's exercise and fun and just won't slide into anyone or anything stupid like that... anyone have any thoughts on softball?  My doctor goes by the theory of "if you're used to it and you stay hydrated and don't push yourself, it's fine"...PS It's awesome to hear how active everyone is and still plans on being- i've read that is the key to a painless (or less painful) delivery. 

• Mallory15 said:
    I am so lost- it seems like everyone on this board is all about it- which I love!  I have one more softball game this year (championship) tomorrow and I play 3rd- I have played for 22 years, so my body is more than used to all of the motions.  Everyone I talk to or ask about it though (or look at other sites) say things like "why would you risk it?"  "it's not worth it"... i'm not saying one game is "worth it" but it's exercise and fun and just won't slide into anyone or anything stupid like that... anyone have any thoughts on softball?  My doctor goes by the theory of "if you're used to it and you stay hydrated and don't push yourself, it's fine"...PS It's awesome to hear how active everyone is and still plans on being- i've read that is the key to a painless (or less painful) delivery. 

@mallory15, if your doctor said it was fine and you're confident, I would say see how you feel tomorrow and if you're even the slightest bit hesitant don't do it. But if you're sure, go for it and be smart. You're the only one who can say for sure how you feel about it!

As for a painless/less painful delivery, I can only speak to my labor with DS. It wasn't painless and I had an epidural, but - at the risk of sounding cheesy - I felt really strong and powerful afterwards, and I can't ignore the fact that my endurance/stamina allowed me to get through pushing for an extended period of time relatively well. I was up and out of the bed 45 minutes after delivery, and the next day I just felt like I had worked out hard the day before. Compared to some stories my friends have told me I felt like working out throughout my last pregnancy really helped my labor. Every labor is different, so who knows if I will even be that lucky this time. But hopefully we all are!

• Thanks!  I didn't mention this yesterday, but I had my last volleyball game last night- there are two guys on the team (my husband and a friend) who both know the news so they stood on either side of me and i barely moved (which is NOT like me), but we got through the game, no problem.  I was BEYOND TIRED after!!!! Sad to say, but I'm glad last night was the last night of volleyball and tonight is the last night of softball... hate to see the summer go away, but the way I'm feeling... the less commitments the better- kids' sports start next week so that'll keep me busy and I'll have to start doing some walking or I've heard good things about yoga while pregnant too.  What type of work outs did you do during your pregnancy that you were able to stick to?  I had 2 c-sections so can't say I was "up 45 minutes after" but was out pushing the stroller and walking the day we got released w/ no pain meds and people were so judgy like I should be more careful, but I just never wanted to be a lump!  
  • I work out about 5 days a week and so far have been basically keeping up my normal routine. Just two things-

1. I skipped my workout yesterday because I hit a wall at 2 pm and by he time I got home I was just unbelievably exhausted. My workout was scheduled for 7:30 (a circuit/interval class at my gym) and I just could not motivate myself to go. I ended up going to bed at 8 pm anyway. The night before I had a similar problem. Took a 45 minute class and followed it with my regular kick-boxing class (60 minutes) and only made it through half because at a certain point I was just drained. I was fine with it because at that point I had been active for over an hour and could stand to cut myself slack. But does anyone have any tips for fighting the fatigue??? I have also started to have nausea spells that seem like they might start to interfere with my workout routines.

2. I can't hop or jump without peeing! I swear! It's like I've lost all bladder control. I try to pee before I work out which helps a bit, but I'm honestly worried about having an accident at the gym, haha.
  • @Mallory15 - I honestly see very little as a risk right now. Everything is protected by your pelvic bone - your uterus is not yet an abdominal organ. Unless someone plans to crush your pelvis...

Thus why I am still horseback riding. Downgrading to a pony, mind you (very short), and no bareback, but probably a lot more risky than softball.

• Oh, I definitely plan on it! How else do you control the "craziness" during pregnancy. I'm a morning gym goer & so my newfound 4AM insomnia has motivated me to get going without missing a beat! I've been doing Kayla Itsines for 18 weeks. Pretty sure I'll need to modify, but I'm keeping my routine! The health benefits for baby are SO positive! They say it helps prepare the baby for the stress of labor. :) I stayed active with my last pregnancy & delivery was so much smoother!
  • Seems like this board hasn't seen much action in a few weeks... but I guess I'm late to the game and just started posting (EDD 5/28 so a bit later than most of you it seems).  I powerlift and have been lifting heavy weights for a few years but have found the last few weeks my hear rate has been getting pretty high fairly quickly so am trying to take more recovery time.  I've also started doing more yoga and a bit more cardio to round things out a bit.  

I work out with a trainer about 1x/week but haven't told him yet... I figure if i moderate myself and just tell him I'm tired / under the weather it'll be ok ;)  My Dr. said it was fine to continue weight lifting as long as I "don't drop a barbell on my head" which is generally good advice.  

Glad to see some other gym rats here! :)  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had been doing crossfit, HIIT workouts, lots of running, but I got kind of nervous when I was first getting pregnant, even though I thought it probably didn't matter. But I do ClassPass, so I go to a lot of different gyms - which is awesome - but the downside is that I don't know any of my trainers very well, and just getting to 8 weeks now, haven't wanted to tell them my situation. So I've been sticking to yoga, pilates, spinning, and barre classes. I have to go to early morning ones, since after work I pretty much fall apart.

I'm also coaching a kids cross-country team, and every day just hope that one of the in-shape parents shows up to run in front of the pack, so I can jog in the back with the easy-going kids. I'm hoping to get more into running soon, but it's obviously not a normal ramp-up situation at the moment so it might just continue to be 20-30 minute walk/jogs.
  • I was running, dojng hot yoga and kickboxing. I've given all up and hitting the gym on the weekends for easy cardio and light lifting. I want to go during the week too but by the time I get out of work I'm exhausted. Hoping second tri I have a bit more energy, even just to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes twice a week. Tried prenatal yoga and hated it but plan on giving it another go.

cat fail animated GIF

• This is an awesome thread! I used to be an avid runner and sometimes went to yoga. I have run a marathon and a couples halves in the past, but lately I am exhausted all the time, plus running even 5km feels like such a struggle for me. I don't know whether to push through it or not. It's hard to gage what's too much and what's not enough. These posts are really inspiring me though! You guys are awesome.
  • I hear ya on feeling tired and not up for what you used to be able to do. So far I've found that once I get up and into the gym I can easily do an hour but do rest more between sets etc. trying to not be too hard on myself! I'd really like to be able to maintain my fitness level throughout the pregnancy. I'm trying for 4 days in the gym each week, including one recovery day. So far so good...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm training for a 10K next month, so I'm jogging around 12 miles per week. I'm also walking my pup several days per week and using prenatal workout videos on occasion. Additionally I'm looking into starting prenatal water aerobics soon.

The only thing is my doctor said that I can't let my heart rate get over 140 bpm so I'm not able to push it nearly as hard as I would like to.
  • I hit it hard before our frozen embryo transfer then the doc put me on activity restrictions (nothing more strenuous than a 30 minute walk, in AC, with water, at a 4.0 pace). I was so bored but went on a lot of long walks with the dog. Took me out of commission for about 4 weeks.

Now that we heard heartbeat(s) I got the green light to work out again! Went for a 2.5 mile trail run yesterday and it felt GREAT. Swam 24 laps today but I'm not sure I could do more without peeing myself. I plan to keep swimming as much as possible.

I'm having identical twins so i imagine I won't get to be as active for as long as I'd like, but I'm going to try going back to kickboxing this week. Got cleared for sex too, so even more calorie burning. ...tmi?
  • I'll ask my doctor about this, but wanted advice from mom's who've been there, done that...I know they say you can continue what you were doing before, but what if you took a break? After I found out, I was too paranoid to keep doing my main two exercises (distance running and Xtend Barre) so have not done anything (literally...anything) in the past two months. I know with running I can ease back into it, but I'm not sure what my limits should be. I signed up for a Barre class this week, but now I'm worried about making it through an intense 1 hour class after being so, so sedentary. Thoughts?
  • I got put on exercise restrictions due to a hematoma and finally got the okay to work out again. Good lawd it's like I had never been to the gym or seen a treadmill after only two weeks. Stay at it ladies! On the good side I have felt better today than I have in over 2 weeks. Gonna keep it up!
  • DH and I just registered for a local Thanksgiving 5k. I usually do most of my races solo with DH being the awesome cheerleader husband but I planned on taking it quite a bit slower than I usually do and thought it would be fun for the both of us. With my currently track record of tiredness I'll be passed out before we even make it to my parent's house for dinner.

I signed up though bc I haven't really done anything in weeks (and I mentioned it to my midwife and she thought it sounded like a good idea). I'm getting so antsy. I usually do at least one local 5k or more a month so the 2 going on 3 month hiatus is a little much for me.

It is almost starting to get cooler around here though so hopefully soon I can add a little more outdoor activity without feeling like I may pass out.