September 2015 Moms
Options

what were your baby's milk allergy symptoms?

I don't know whether my baby is sensitive to the cow's milk in my diet. She sometimes fights breastfeeding, bobs on my breast, sometimes refuses to latch. She arches and gets a bloated belly.
We have separate bf issues including a still very damaged left nipple for which i need a shield and she has a partial aversion to the right breast. We had a tongue and lip tie revised which i don't feel were very successful.
I'm trying to determine whether to eliminate dairy products from my diet but it's a huge undertaking and I don't want to do it unless needed. (For goodness sake even deli meat has some milk protein in it!)
No rash, hives, wheezing, eczema, vomiting. Hardly any spitting up.
But she cries a lot, not sure if she's colicky.
So what made you eliminate cow's milk/dairy from your diet?

Re: what were your baby's milk allergy symptoms?

• Options
    Constipation, vomiting and choking on mucus for my DD1.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I suspect an intolerance in my LO too. He has reflux/ vomiting after days I consume dairy as well as terrible gas, bloating, crying and stuffiness. I'm just eliminating it for a week to test. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    monicaPmonicaP member
    edited October 2015
    My LO has reflux and I was going to eliminate dairy as well but my doctor said if there is no blood in the stool then there is likely no dairy intolerance. She said that dairy is present in so many foods and that the calories required for breastfeeding make cutting dairy a very difficult undertaking that she only suggests doing if you are certain.
  • Options
    She has taken the bottle a couple of times and I can usually calm her to sleep in the moby or ergo so I suspect it's not an allergy. I was hoping for a definite solution for her bad breastfeeding- but it doesn't appear to be cows milk related.
  • Options
    Tons of gas, vomiting sometimes, screaming and fussy from gas pain, arching back, asking for the breast and then fighting it while fussing
  • Options
    DS has very similar symptoms. For weeks I thought it was a milk allergy. I gave up dairy with no change in DS. I have been giving him Gerber Soothe Probiotic drops and I have also been taking probiotics. I read that if you had a c-section or mastitis early on (I had both of these) you should take probiotics. After 2 weeks, I have seen a big change with my little guy. Poop is better (was green and stringy, now yellow and seedy), he's happier, and nurses better. Just a thought!
  • Options
    @brit1983 where did you get the probiotics?
  • Options
  • Options
    I second probiotics. It really helped my gassy baby. He is hardly ever fussy now except in the morning when he farts a lot and then has his big BM of the day. I completely different baby after giving him probiotics.
  • Options
    AtlasmomAtlasmom member
    edited October 2015
    My doc just gave me these drops that help with lactose and dairy intolerance and you don't have to change your diet. I'm trying them to see but you can get them at any pharmacy.
  • Options
    @Atlasmom what are the drops called?
  • Options
    For DS1 it was gas, tons of spit up, and green poo. Some of the green poo was an oversupply issue as well. I didn't get him figured out until almost four months...
  • Options
    @brit1983 here is a pic of the box.
  • Options
    Never heard of those, but they get great reviews on Amazon! Thanks!
  • Options
    For me DD was super gassy and fussy in the evenings and when I eliminated dairy products from my diet, it was a night and day difference immediately. I just eliminated obvious sources: milk, cheese, ice cream, ect. I have heard that probiotics can help baby overcome dairy sensitivities and that they outgrow it in 6 months to 1 year.