Working Moms
Options

Adjusting to full time

Hello! I need some advice from you wonderful working mamas! I have a job offer on the table right now. The pay is fabulous, the position would help further my career. The only thing holding me back is it would transition my 4 day work week into a 5 day. I realize it's only one day-- but I love my Monday's off! It's my 7m daughters day and mine together alone together and I cherish those days. I feel immensely guilty at the thought of being gone all week and then I feel guilty for feeling guilty because I know there are wonderful mamas out there that work full time and kill it! I would love some advice :)

Re: Adjusting to full time

• Options
    I would not do it. I work 5 days now and would love to work 3 or 4.
  • Options
    There are a bunch of different factors that would help make the decision for me. Is a job opportunity like this likely to come up again when your LO is a little older? Is it an increase in pay (and do you need that increase)? Is the commute longer/shorter?

If it were to advance my career and I was already working 4 days, one extra day wouldn't be a big deal to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's tough, you'll have to weigh it out! Are you unhappy with your current position? Is this an opportunity that won't come around again? I was working full time and came back at a 4 day week (fri off) after maternity leave and it's been the best decision ever. I wouldn't trade it unless it was a dream job...even then I honestly don't know!. It just makes it more justifiable and enjoyable for me to have family time and just 4 days at work. It's the lifestyle I want right now, mine is 6 mo. Maybe down the line I'm sure I'll be back to full time, but it's still all so new and exciting (and exhausting haha), I just want time with him more than anything else. I think also because all of a sudden now with the baby, work is just something I have to go do for 30 hrs a week, then I get to come home and do the work that matters :) good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I was just recently offered another work opportunity that would require me to report to work on-site 5 days a week---currently I work from home two days most weeks. I am due with DS#2 in February and I decided to turn it down based on the fact of losing some of the work-life balance that I currently have. Maybe when my kids are a little older--but right now even though I work from home two days a week and don't have a day off like you---I get the extra hour in the morning and again at night with DS that I don't have on the days I have to commute to work. I also love being able to do an extra load of laundry while I am at home or being able to run to target or the grocery store at lunch (which I would not be able to do working downtown). It takes alot of preassure off of me on the weekends. 

I would weigh out what kind of quality time that you would be losing out on if you were to take this job and if this opportunity will ever come back around again. Or is this opportunity one that would give you greater and longer term benefits to provide for your family?
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I advanced twice since my daughter was born. The first really wasn't that much of a difference. I work for the school district and technically on days there was no school, I was supposed to be there. I would go in for a couple of hours or a half day. Sometimes I brought my daughter with me. The second time I advance, came when she was older (this past January). I felt since she was older, the timing was right. Instead of having all these days off, I now work year around with just mostly holidays off. My job is still super flexible. I have had to bring her to work with me on occasion as well. This time the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.