May 2016 Moms

Switching OB/GYN?

Hey Ladies! 

Is anyone thinking about switching OB/GYNs after their first appointments? I don't love the doctor or the office staff - VERY long waits (like an hour past my appointment both times!) and they just don't seem to be very organized. 

So, anyone thinking about it or have you already done it? What tips do you have for switching and getting all your files and records to the new Doc? Sounds like SUCH a pain but I still have a lot of months of pregnancy.....
Me: 32 DH: 35
Married 12/7/07
DD: Born 1/2/14 
Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

Re: Switching OB/GYN?

• I switched during my first pregnancy after my initial dating ultrasound and first appointment. My reasoning did not have to do with the doctor as much as wanting to deliver at a different hospital. It is slightly a pain, but the biggest advice I have been given and will pass on is make the switch early. You're going to be spending some quality time with this doctor, make sure you're comfortable and confident with your choice!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Thanks @that1didntcount

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my doctor at home from my first but sadly we had to move away. I feel like i'm not going to find anyone as great as her BUT there has to be something better than what i've got now.... :) 
    Married 12/7/07
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• Loading the player...
  • I just switched today actually. Ha I had my 8week appt Wednesday with old dr and I'm gonna have 12 week appt with new dr. I have some blood work that I know is going to be sent to old dr so I want to make sure they have that sent and my file is all together before I have it sent to new dr. So think about anything that's outstanding.

I usually first call and say I moved and found a dr closer to my new home (bwahaha) and ask if they can send over my records to the new dr. Have new Drs fax, email, and mailing address ready. Sometimes it's that simple. Sometimes you have to go in and sign a record release form. Some people might charge you for this :-/.

It's a little awkward but not that much of a pain. I've gotten pissed at Drs or legitimately moved so many times it's like nothing now.
  • I'm switching when I'm "graduated" from our RE. I am sick of the drama at the old doc and I need one closer
  • I love my ob/gyn. But I absolutely hated the hospital I delivered my son at. It's too far away and it was hands down one of the worst experiences in my life. Unfortunately, it's the only hospital my ob delivers at. I made an appointment with her and a new doctor. The new doctor and hospital are a straight shot down the street (less than 30 blocks away).

I wanted to meet with my current ob, explain the situation and see if we can work something out before I officially make the big move. I'm really sad to be doing this as my ob and I get along famously.

I'm actually dreading doing this and really nervous because I don't want her to take it personally.
  • Alright so is it normal for the OB to charge $25 to release your medical file to the new doctor? I've seen this doctor a total of TWO times. 
    Married 12/7/07
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• I switched OB's after my first appointment. My first appointment was a pee in a cup and have some blood drawn type thing, but I didn't particularly care for the the office staff or the way things were ran. The nurse who went through the questionnaires with me made a lot of assumptions about my medical history and preferences which made me worried about future health decisions. Luckily I was able to find another OB office within the same network so my information transferred over with no problem. I've still only met the actual OB once, but the office staff, nurses, and those who have been on call have exceeded my expectations so I'm glad I switched early. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • There is nothing wrong with switching! I am currently in the process of switching, don't like the way my family was treated at my current one, and now proves another reason why I'm switching they are being very slow with faxing my records!!! I had an OB the whole time I was pregnant with my daughter and then I ended up having to move and had her the day after I moved. Never feel like your stuck with a certain Doctor until you get to the last trimester you can switch
  • I'm planning on switching as soon as I get an ok about new insurance. The office is an hour away! The drive alone is exhausting. Plus I found out at the last minute almost that this doc only performs c sections and they have male doctors whom I've never met before that will be the ones to deliver my child.

I was under the impression that it would be the same ob but this was weird to hear. I can't imagine some stranger walking into the room and getting all up in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I switched OB's after my first appointment. My first appointment was a pee in a cup and have some blood drawn type thing, but I didn't particularly care for the the office staff or the way things were ran. The nurse who went through the questionnaires with me made a lot of assumptions about my medical history and preferences which made me worried about future health decisions. Luckily I was able to find another OB office within the same network so my information transferred over with no problem. I've still only met the actual OB once, but the office staff, nurses, and those who have been on call have exceeded my expectations so I'm glad I switched early. 

You're in Indy too, right? Which hospital are you delivering at?

• Switch! I did my last pregnancy and never looked back. You definitely want to feel comfortable with your providers. I had an amazing birth experience because of them, even with a bunch of things going wrong.

I think the earlier you switch the better. I wish you the best of luck!
  • @BeansMom2014 every doctor is different. I didn't have to pay anything when I switched. To my understanding the cost is mostly due to paper and ink kinda of thing but all my records were electronically. Anyways did you get any test done at your current doctor or just talk? If no real test were taking like blood work and whatnot then I'd say screw it and don't do it but if test were taking then they would have to be retaking with the new doctor and your insurance might not cover it again.