May 2016 Moms

How is everyone getting their protein?

Before I was pregnant I was a huge carnivore. I would eat meat probably 3 times a day. Ever since I got pregnant I started developing an aversion for it which has turned into a full blown loathing. I am worried that I am not getting enough protein. Any ideas or recipes that you all have that are veggie?

Thank you!

Re: How is everyone getting their protein?

• Eat beans and or nuts for added protein. Also some dairy has protien.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Eggs, yogurt, beans (made a huge minestrone soup with lots of beans last week), and cheese that I eat with crackers and sliced apples or grapes.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Loading the player...
  • I've been drinking Myoplex shakes; I can stomach them pretty well, and they have a bunch of added vitamins (including folate).
  • I force myself to eat meat, fish (including those revolting sardines in a can) and eggs but I'm not loving it. That used to basically be my favorite food group, so I'm at a bit of a loss. 

Two non meat protein sources I've been tolerating well from a food aversions standpoint (unfortunately, my digestive tract hates them): Cottage Cheese mixed with thawed frozen blackberries all mixed up (or cottage cheese on my salad), almond butter with sliced banana. 
  • Cheese sticks, vans protein waffles, everything bagels, peanut butter. I do eat other things but those are my go tos when I can stomach much, but need a little something good.
    imageimage
    1st born June 2013
  • Greek yogurt is my go to lately - it has lots of protein! I am vegetarian. Plain Greek yogurt with honey, walnuts, and berries or jam is pretty delicious and goes down easy for me. (Although lately I've skipped the nuts).
    Tofu, lentils, beans, veggie burgers or other soy based meat substitutes are also high in protein. Of course, none of that sounds appealing to me right now.
  • Greek yogurt, eggs, almonds, meat, double protein English muffins, milk, cheese, beans, quinoa, peanut butter. If I'm low on protein for the day, I'll eat cottage cheese-- it's full off protein.
  • Almonds, Greek yogurt, cheese (string cheese is high in protein), eggs, peanut butter
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• DanandVan said:

Greek yogurt is my go to lately - it has lots of protein! I am vegetarian. Plain Greek yogurt with honey, walnuts, and berries or jam is pretty delicious and goes down easy for me. (Although lately I've skipped the nuts).
    Tofu, lentils, beans, veggie burgers or other soy based meat substitutes are also high in protein. Of course, none of that sounds appealing to me right now.

That. It's not hard and you need no meat. I don't even drink milk, I make mit milk though which has proteins too. No need for protein shakes or steaks ;-)

• Nut not mit:-)

• I don't feel like eating meat as much either. I just want carbs! Although this past week I'm not as excited about food in general. I have been a big fan of eggs though. I boil several and keep them handy for snacks.
  • sarawifenow

I totally had the same issue. I am a meat lover and was repulsed by meat and worried about my protein intake for the baby.
    Solution for me: protein shakes. (Peanut butter, milk, banana, protein powder, ice) It really helped for my lunches at work where I couldn't even walk in the lunchroom to heat a soup. Oh those lunchroom smells...yuck!
  • I eat snacks twice a day. In the morning I eat plain Greek yogurt w/strawberries. In the afternoon I eat nuts and dried apricots. The yogurt and nuts have protein. I also try to throw soybeans (edamame) and crunchy soynuts on salads. Sometimes I go to the salad bar at work, but I still bring edamame and soynuts from home (the chicken at the salad bar at work has the texture of rubber). 

Luckily I"m not repulsed by meat, so I also eat lean meat usually for dinner!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Beans, cheese, nuts. Lots and lots and lots of cheese. I haven't had any issues eating meat, though. I just don't like to buy much of it since it's so expensive.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I also do a morning protein shake! I blend up 1 banana, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp Nutella, ice, almond milk and all-natural whey protein powder. I did some research on safe ones and came upon this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MRM-Natural-Whey-Vanilla-2-03-Pound/dp/B000N8M3PE
  • I've had meat aversions even before getting ku. Especially poultry- yuck! I tend to have a lot of peanut butter and milk. The fair life chocolate milk (which I'm guzzling right now) is so so so good. Half the fat, double the protein. Trying to get some eggs in here and there. And my go to snack recently is cheese and grapes.

cat fail animated GIF

• Yogurt, peanut butter, eggs, and also I seem to be totally OK with Morningstar Farms Buffalo Nuggets lol.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I ate so much animal protein before getting pregnant, and other than beef, it's a huge food aversion. I tried getting my protein from other sources, but it just didn't feel the same. I have to force it down or hide it in things. For example, one of my favorite local places as a vegetarian hummus wrap that I get them to add chicken to - out of sight, out of mind. I also use ground turkey with pasta and sauce. Basically, I have to eat it mixed in with something.

Man, even typing this makes me want to vomit.
  • Haha I just read half of this page and started jonesing for Greek yogurt so bad I had to go get some before I could finish reading. I've been doing fine with meat (had best chicken and waffles of my life this weekend), but the yogurt thing was a good call :)
  • Greek yogurt, egg whites, almonds, edamame, cheese, and recently back on the meat train.