November 2015 Moms

Prodromal Labor - anyone else experience this?

Last night around 6:30, I started having strong, regular contractions. They lasted about 45 seconds each and were nearly exactly ten minutes apart. They were strong enough that I had to stop talking and breathe through them, and they didn't not stop or lessen with food, drink, walking, or changing position. This went on for the next 3.5 hours and just STOPPED.

I called my OB, who was on call, and he explained that I'm probably going through prodromal labor, an early stage of labor where contractions help to dilate the cervix, but don't really intensify or last. He said they definitely didn't sound like Braxton Hicks, and that I could probably expect for it to happen again, possibly over several days before the "real deal" starts. He said to think of it as trying to get the engine of a car to turn over - sometimes it takes a few tries before the motor takes over, and that it's fairly common. I'm about 37.5 weeks now and this is our 4th baby and I have never experienced this before! On one hand it's pretty cool that my body is gearing up, but on the other hand it was a bit exhausting and nerve wracking. Anyone else go through this with past or current pregnancy?

Re: Prodromal Labor - anyone else experience this?

• I am having this as well.  It has been about a week & a half of this.  Saturday they were 5 minutes apart for 45 minutes and then just stopped.  It's just annoying because you get excited and then they fizzle out!
    YCSWU 

• I'm glad I'm not alone @modanz1! It's so strange and now I'm on high alert for when/if it happens again!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had something similar when I had a uti. I had no other symptoms but apparently it can cause contractions. If you spoke with your doctor though and he wasn't concerned I wouldn't worry. Getting close! :)
  • I hadn't thought about that @mpp06, and I guess it would be hard to tell with all the constant trips to the bathroom anyway. But I did have an appointment yesterday and gave urine, so I think I'm in the clear there!
  • I told my doctor about it and she wasn't worried. I certainly hope with all of the pee I leave those people that they would have noticed if I had a UTI. Not to mention, I have no other symptoms of one.  I guess you never know though!  :)
    YCSWU 

• tayzavtayzav member
    edited October 2015
    I've been on modified bedrest for three weeks for preterm contractions. The day I went in I had no idea I was even having regular ones. Since then, and especially in the last week, week and a half, I've noticed this exact same thing happening to me as well. My doctor said at my last apt she's just taking a guess but doesn't think I'll make it to my due date. It's all about that waiting game at this point. I for some reason am scared I'm going to go into full blown labor because I ignore the signs of my contractions and I'll end up delivering on the side of the road since my hospital is an hour ten mins away. I know it's highly unlikely but man does it freak me out. Scares me more than labor itself. I'm just trying to pay close attention to the ones I'm getting now, but they wanna trick me into thinking its time and then just like that, they stop.
  • I had prodromal labor when I was pregnant with my son, it happened every night until the third night my contractions got so close I headed into the hospital was checked in at 4cm dilated and ended up having him the next night.
    I know someone who had it for several weeks though, so don't get too nervous!
  • I have had this with both my girls and now this one too. It's absolutely freaking miserable :/ with my first, I had them for THREE AND A HALF WEEKS before the real deal, and because of it, almost didn't make it to hospital. We pulled up at 845 and my husband was holding her by 915! I've had them a good 2 weeks now with this lo, and I am so ready to be done. Hang in there.
  • ashd918 said:
    I have had this with both my girls and now this one too. It's absolutely freaking miserable :/ with my first, I had them for THREE AND A HALF WEEKS before the real deal, and because of it, almost didn't make it to hospital. We pulled up at 845 and my husband was holding her by 915! I've had them a good 2 weeks now with this lo, and I am so ready to be done. Hang in there.
    This is my fear, that I will get used to it and not go when I need to!
    YCSWU 

• This has been happening to me too. 38 weeks. Sunday I had them every ten minutes for five hours plus period cramping and then they stopped. My doctor had to me to wait for the 511 rule. Went the next day to get checked and they didn't help me progress at all! Still not dilated. This has happened twice.
  • I had it with both my kids and now it's started with this one (much earlier.)   It sucks... and can be totally exhausting emotionally and physically.   Luckily this is your fourth so I am guessing you probably know your body well and how it feels when labor gets serious for you.   The thing with prodromal labor is it can turn active at any point so don't feel silly going in and getting checked out!   Best of luck to you mama...wishing you a good productive healthy labor!!!
  • This started happening to me too, it's very sporadic. but I agree it's really, really cool that our bodies can do stuff like this--- it's also really really painful.
    BabyName Ticker
  • @jabbottscott Thank you so much! Your post definitely made me smile. I hope you're right and I'll know when to trust my body!

@BlondeMomma92 I'm glad it's kind of predictable for me so far! I had a shorter episode last night, but it started at 6:30 just like the night before! Since it just started for me, I can't really say that it won't get worse, but just knowing what it is and that it happens made it easier to take last night!