March 2016 Moms
Options

STM's Favourite Baby Gear

I thought I'd kick off a fun thread talking about what worked well (or didn't!) for the STMs. I remember researching the crap out of baby items and found myself on forums looking for other Mom's experience.

This is similar to the baby gear thread but thought a slant towards products endorsed by Mom's who have "been there and used that" would be useful.

So I'll start us off!

My fav items:

Keekaroo Peanut Changer: a soft fluid permeable baby change pad. It's pricy but doesn't require covers and can be wiped down with a Lysol wipe after poopsplosions.
https://www.keekaroo.com/peanutdiaperchanger.html

Nose Frida: a snot sucker that has oomph because you do the suctioning. It's not gross (well maybe a little) because it has a filter but it's great because it's powerful and easy to clean. No germies staying up in there!
https://fridababy.com/product/nosefrida/

Ameda Double Electric Pump: worked great, easy to clean and sterilize and cheap (comparatively). Also, I loved storing pumped Breast milk in a lidded ice cube tray, eventually popping them into a ziplock bag marked with the month pumped. They thawed quickly in a bottle and I didn't need to buy pricy storage bags. I didn't pump exclusively though but it worked for casual use.
https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=65641986

I'm sure I have more but just a few off the top of my head. Anyone else have some fav products???

Re: STM's Favourite Baby Gear

• Options

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I was actually looking for a bit of a different discussion. What products were real gold stars from 2nd, 3rd time Mom's. But I guess if people don't want the boards too cluttered I can bring it up there.

It's a little disheartening when people post new threads and others shoot them down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess i would just use the other thread IMO. The other day i asked if anyone liked the Boppy Lounger and received 4-5 responses of yay or nay. 

For instance you love the Nose Frida, I did not care for it. Therefore we are having the same discussion as the Baby Gear thread. Just sayin

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I was just trying to make a condensed thread; definitely easier than more concise than flipping through 7 pages of chatter.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

The board in which you were directed is specifically STM+ sharing their favorite baby items. Even down to the nose frida on the very last page. So it seems to me like exactly what you posted.

In fact, the OP specifically stated "So I couldn't find a thread already started regarding baby gear so I wanted to start one. We have a lot from DS so we don't need much but now that I am a little further along and feel more secure in the pregnancy I have been thinking about the things we do need. Do any 2nd + time moms have a glider that they absolutely love?"

While her specific question is in regards to a glider, it implored other STM+ to share their favorite baby-related items as well. The second post goes on to ask about double strollers and other moms answered that and so on.

Finally, no one shot down your post. I was simply directing you to the information you were looking for as I don't image you would have gotten a ton of helpful answers as STM+ have already answered this question and probably weren't likely to repeat themselves here when the original baby gear thread was on the first page. 

I understand that you seem to want it in your own organized, listed format but you can't expect other posters to do that work for you, especially when they have already shared most of their favorite things on the aforementioned thread.

ETA: @jenniferamcooper I just saw your reply. I think it's disheartening that you would create a repeat thread because it's too much work for you to flip through 7 pages of existing conversation on baby gear and instead expect others to do the work for you by repeating information they have already shared.  

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    Is that easier for you than flipping through 7 pages of the same threads?
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    Wow, you folks are acting really petty. I wasn't trying to be lazy just wanted to make a database of sorts to share reccomendations and experiences. We have similar threads going on cloth diaper boards, local boards etc. I actually started this list after a convo with a pregnant friend after she asked for some reccomendations.

I was just trying to be helpful for first time Mom's. I'm not looking for info but trying to share my experiences. I'll move them into the other thread but if I have more negative experiences on here I may leave, which is a shame because this is a great BMB.

There's been a lot of shooting down threads people have started when they want to relay personal experiences or ask specific questions. Is there any harm in letting the thread naturally develop (or not), rather than just saying "go here and stop clogging up the boards".

• Options
  • Options
    Honestly ladies anything posted nowadays is better than nothing. This board is so dead as of lately.
  • Options

Honestly ladies anything posted nowadays is better than nothing. This board is so dead as of lately.

Your comment doesn't make sense as this board is very active. You obviously need to lurk around more.
  • Options
    kynbar5 said:

Your comment doesn't make sense as this board is very active. You obviously need to lurk around more.
    That's funny how as soon as someone doesn't like another person's post, they labeled "lurkers". Our definitions of "very active" are different.
  • Options

I don't know your name.... you are a lurker

-declaration signed

Lmao! Ok Madame. Thank you for gracing me with your time and official stamp.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Kind of ironic that something who never participates labels this a dead BMB.

Stick around! Join the (existing) conversations! If you have something new to add or ask, by all means, start a new thread! The board is what you make it and if you feel like it's slow, maybe participating once in a while will help it pick up :)

ETA: @lashachris

30 Rock Fellow Kids animated GIF

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    Wow, you folks are acting really petty. I wasn't trying to be lazy just wanted to make a database of sorts to share reccomendations and experiences. We have similar threads going on cloth diaper boards, local boards etc. I actually started this list after a convo with a pregnant friend after she asked for some reccomendations. I was just trying to be helpful for first time Mom's. I'm not looking for info but trying to share my experiences. I'll move them into the other thread but if I have more negative experiences on here I may leave, which is a shame because this is a great BMB. There's been a lot of shooting down threads people have started when they want to relay personal experiences or ask specific questions. Is there any harm in letting the thread naturally develop (or not), rather than just saying "go here and stop clogging up the boards".

As a FTM, I am super appreciative that you are thinking of others - really, this is not a sarcastic remark. I just don't understand how you can't see that the thread you started is the.exact.same. as the one that already exists. You've been around and know the tone of the board - repeat threads are annoying. That's the general consensus. All of the "Welcome" and "Read This First" threads state just that.

Like I said, I appreciate your thought, but just because you don't like the way an existing thread is laid out doesn't mean there is a true reason to begin a new one organized in the fashion in which you prefer.

Also, the only time you received ANY feedback that was negative was when you started spouting negative feedback first.

Saying "It's a little disheartening when people post new threads and others shoot them down" in response to a link to an existing thread chalk full of the information you were requesting this thread be about? I find that looking for and providing a link to the EXACT information you requested helpful, but that's just me. If you're constantly on the defensive, you're the one creating a reason for it to be that way.

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options

Kind of ironic that something who never participates labels this a dead BMB.

Stick around! Join the (existing) conversations! If you have something new to add or ask, by all means, start a new thread! The board is what you make it and if you feel like it's slow, maybe participating once in a while will help it pick up :)

ETA: @lashachris

30 Rock Fellow Kids animated GIF

No one or as you put it "nothing" wants to start a new thread or reply to threads because you guys keep giving arrogant answers to everything. Taking your policing board job a bit too serious.
  • Options

@lashachris Then by all means, jump in on an existing thread.

No one is going to beg you to participate and no one can stop you from creating whatever thread you choose. I can see you've had an account for a while but rarely use it so I'm not sure if you're familiar with the fact that different boards have different tones, preferences, etc. based on the users that are there for the beginning and those that participate regularly.

Don't like the tone of the board? Participate more! I am sure there are others that share your opinion and if you joined forces you could influence the general consensus of how this board operates. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Also, you're not going to make me angry or get under my skin but you sure can keep trying!

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I don't know your name.... you are a lurker -declaration signed
    Lmao! Ok Madame. Thank you for gracing me with your time and official stamp.

Also, that's Madame President to you lol. Inside joke. Participate more and you'll be lol-ing, too I'm sure!

ETA: cc @MrsLeanMeanClean

Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I'm one who doesn't necessarily agree with the whole one post per topic thing, but this is ridiculous. The exact same thread exists, you aren't asking a question, or looking for personal advice. I'm with the vocal majority on this one.

I've posted a fair amount in the baby gear thread, and like someone else said, now you want me to repost it all here? I would respond if you were looking on advice for something specific, because I agree that it can be a lot to go through the whole baby gear thread. But you just want to post general things that you have liked...it's different. Sheesh.

• Options
    Wow, you folks are acting really petty. I wasn't trying to be lazy just wanted to make a database of sorts to share reccomendations and experiences. We have similar threads going on cloth diaper boards, local boards etc. I actually started this list after a convo with a pregnant friend after she asked for some reccomendations. I was just trying to be helpful for first time Mom's. I'm not looking for info but trying to share my experiences. I'll move them into the other thread but if I have more negative experiences on here I may leave, which is a shame because this is a great BMB. There's been a lot of shooting down threads people have started when they want to relay personal experiences or ask specific questions. Is there any harm in letting the thread naturally develop (or not), rather than just saying "go here and stop clogging up the boards".
    The other thread is EXACTLY what you are trying to start here, you just didn't want to go through all the pages. I have no idea what you're talking about and no one is shooting anything down. Why would everyone who already posted on the other thread do it all over again? Does that really make sense to you? If you had participated and put effort into something that has been around for a while and you were active in it the whole time, how would you feel if someone came along and asked you to do it all over again because they didn't look at what you did the first time? That would be really silly and a bit rude. I realize you were trying to relay your opinions but why not put them in a place that is already established (and again, the exact same thing you are trying to start over) instead of making a whole new thread so that there are two of the same thing.

If you think this is a great BMB I'm confused as to why this is surprising or that you didn't already post this on the other thread. If you would like to be active, be active! But there are some pretty cohesive, comprehensive threads started with a lot of participation that are a much better place to start with instead of starting a whole new thread for something that has already been discussed numerous times or for a long time now. 

I am not sure why this has got some people so up in arms (to the point of "threatening" to leave) but I don't see the issue. When someone is redirected, often times the question they are asking or what they are saying is listed right in the thread! So all they would have to do was read. I don't know why people don't want to do that or why people feel the need to get the same responses on their own thread. It is nothing against anyone but often times they would get their information faster just by looking at the thread they were directed to than complaining about how awful everyone is and how they're going to leave.