Whooping cough vaccine while pregnant — The Bump
November 2015 Moms

Whooping cough vaccine while pregnant

Anyone's doc pushing for this? Mine are....I did not get it while pregnant with my first two (who are 4.5 and 3 so it's not like it was super long ago). ApparentLy the FDA has recently recommended all pregnant women get it. When I went to CVS to get it done the pharmacist read the package insert and it said not to administer to pregnant women. So I passed. I'm hesitant bc this FDA rec is "new." Im torn on what to do. Im usually one to follow Doctor rules and recommendations to a T, but this one has me unsure.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
«1

Re: Whooping cough vaccine while pregnant

  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.
    JLB24
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    May I ask why? Not here to flame you or judge, just would like a personal perspective.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks I'll check out the other post
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    grapesoda1111VexedMommy
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    My midwife is promoting it sooooo...

    I know there has already been a thread on this as well OP.
    My midwife actively encouraged me to get it soooo....
    sarahsnowballfhopefaithlove1urby87
  • My midwife asked if I would like to get it and I said not while I'm pregnant, she recommended to me that I get the vaccine before leaving the hospital but after birth.
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    My midwife is promoting it sooooo...

    I know there has already been a thread on this as well OP.
    My midwife actively encouraged me to get it soooo....
    so our midwives agree.

    Pregnancy Ticker
    sarahsnowballKristi4938oorl11052015
  • I wasn't given any choice in the matter, my nurse walked in and gave me the tdap vaccine. Cause you know it protects your child and yourself from getting sick.
    BabyName Ticker
  • sarahsnowballsarahsnowball member
    edited October 2015
    My midwife told me to get it any time after 28 weeks to pass on some immunity to LO before the baby has his/her first vaccinations at 8 weeks old.

    ETA I also had it when pregnant with my son 2.5 years ago with no issues.
    Tracy1111
  • My midwife recommended it and I got it but she did explain to me that they had changed suppliers in 2012 in the UK and this newer vaccine does state in the bumf that it has not been tested in pregnant women. I was dubious after hearing this however My midwife convinced me that the benefits of protecting my child outweigh the risks. It's personal choice, but make sure you have all the info before you decide.
  • I also had it at the same time as my flu vaccine..
    My youngest daughter is 9, and when she was 3 weeks old she contracted whooping cough, she was extremely poorly and it was touch and go.. It took 8 days for the diagnosis as the doctors kept telling me she had a viral infection.. I had very little sleep in them 8 days because every time she coughed the lack of oxygen she was getting was turning her face purple/blue.. So I just didn't sleep.. After a week in hospital she was on the mend, but it was by far the most frightening experience with my baby I've ever experienced.
    So when my midwife recommended it I was there like a shot to get it
    dramaphilekmkrushimodanz1
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    My midwife is promoting it sooooo...

    I know there has already been a thread on this as well OP.
    My midwife actively encouraged me to get it soooo....
    so our midwives agree.
    Yes, I was agreeing with you to show that @nathanheartskim 's comment that midwives are not recommending it isn't true as both of ours are :)
    grapesoda1111
  • I had it both times....dd is 4 yrs. No problems. I also get flu shot as mandatory where I work. Whooping cough is becoming.more.prevalent.
  • I got the tdap and flu shot... I'd rather get it knowing it may protect my precious baby from becoming seriously ill.
  • letawaakaletawaaka member
    edited October 2015
    My Midwife recommended it between 32 - 36 weeks. Also while I went for my flu shot my doctor had automatically booked me in for the whooping injection without asking. It was also suggested that my parents get it since they are going to be in contact with baby a lot.
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    My midwife recommended it and I got it at 28 weeks. Newborns are especially susceptible to complications from pertussis, and I will do what it takes to keep my baby safe from getting such a dangerous illness before he or she can be vaccinated.
    urby87
  • mamavbs said:

    I don't see why you would have it after birth...
    The point is you're passing on a small immunity to the baby, so they have something until their first lot of jabs- where whooping cough is one of them.


    In the U.K. They bought it out for us about 2/3 years ago. I didn't have it with my son who is 4 but did have it with my daughter who is now 2. I had it at 36 weeks with this pregnancy, along with my flu jab.

    I don't know if you're anti vax or just unsure on it, but I would do some research and speak to a doctor about it.


    It is better to get it while pregnant, but getting it after birth will still help protect your baby with herd immunity if you have not had a TDaP vaccination within the recommended amount of time. You could pass pertussis on to an infant without getting symptoms. That's why it is recommended for close family members to get it as well (or have had it within the past 10 years).

    They now recommend getting it every pregnancy because of the benefits to baby's immunity.
    VexedMommythefithuntressgrapesoda1111
  • They have been pushing me to get it but my answer is always no shots of any kind while pregnant. I find it very odd because with my first pregnancy I took it the day after I delivered.
  • Midwives are not recommending it and even if they were I would absolutely refuse.

    May I ask why? Not here to flame you or judge, just would like a personal perspective.
    @MercyC1130 I actually have a few reasons that I will not get it for me or for my children.
    1. Family history of severe vaccine reactions.
    2. In looking at studies, the majority of those who get it were up to date on their shots so I don't see the benefit.

    Not anti vaccine here by the way, just limited on what we choose to do. Just do some research and make your own decision. Don't let anyone decide for you. :)
    Rojasd
  • My doc recommended it. So I got it. It protects baby from pertussis through breastmilk for a few month until the baby is old enough to get their own. (I think...don't remember quite that well)
  • So I missed the window to get this vaccine and I'm so mad at myself. I had "third trimester" stuck in my head and not the "by 36 weeks" important piece of info. I went to get it 2 days past 36 weeks and they wouldn't give it to me. My dr said I will get it after I deliver, in the hospital. They said it takes up to 2 weeks for your body to produce antibodies to pass to your baby, and at least he/she will be getting it through breast milk after the 2 weeks. Just mad at myself for not paying attention to that detail. So much to remember! First parenting fail on my part. At least I got my flu shot.
    JLB24
  • proggahaq said:

    My doc recommended it. So I got it. It protects baby from pertussis through breastmilk for a few month until the baby is old enough to get their own. (I think...don't remember quite that well)


    If you get it while pregnant your body passes on some of the immunity to baby which will help them until they can get their own vaccinations around 8 weeks. It's not 100% though, which is why they also recommend anyone spending time around the baby in those first few weeks to get it as well (although I did read somewhere that they recommended it for anyone who was going to be around a child under a year, but not sure where I read that)

  • Our midwife recommended it, but when I told her I had one done about 2 years ago she said it wasn't necessary as long as we were going through the regular vaccination schedule (we are). 
  • kestes946kestes946 member
    edited October 2015
    Please get both vaccines!! The Whooping Cough and Flu is rampant where I live during the winter. Not messing around with that. I want my baby to have the antibodies she needs before birth, it won't help after.
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kestes946kestes946 member
    edited October 2015
    dalzien said:

    Our midwife recommended it, but when I told her I had one done about 2 years ago she said it wasn't necessary as long as we were going through the regular vaccination schedule (we are). 

    I've heard the same thing in the past but when I went in to get the tdapp a couple weeks ago after my ob recommended it, they said that its important for the baby more than for you. The antibodies will help build their immunity before birth. Based on that, I would recommend getting it sooner than later!
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Gapeach83sarahsnowballmagnolia0212
  • mamavbs said:

    I don't see why you would have it after birth...
    The point is you're passing on a small immunity to the baby, so they have something until their first lot of jabs- where whooping cough is one of them.


    In the U.K. They bought it out for us about 2/3 years ago. I didn't have it with my son who is 4 but did have it with my daughter who is now 2. I had it at 36 weeks with this pregnancy, along with my flu jab.

    I don't know if you're anti vax or just unsure on it, but I would do some research and speak to a doctor about it.


    It is better to get it while pregnant, but getting it after birth will still help protect your baby with herd immunity if you have not had a TDaP vaccination within the recommended amount of time. You could pass pertussis on to an infant without getting symptoms. That's why it is recommended for close family members to get it as well (or have had it within the past 10 years).

    They now recommend getting it every pregnancy because of the benefits to baby's immunity.
    Yes we are given it every pregnancy. However, we don't have top ups of it over here, which is interesting and I wonder why...
  • MiMary80 said:

    So I missed the window to get this vaccine and I'm so mad at myself. I had "third trimester" stuck in my head and not the "by 36 weeks" important piece of info. I went to get it 2 days past 36 weeks and they wouldn't give it to me. My dr said I will get it after I deliver, in the hospital. They said it takes up to 2 weeks for your body to produce antibodies to pass to your baby, and at least he/she will be getting it through breast milk after the 2 weeks. Just mad at myself for not paying attention to that detail. So much to remember! First parenting fail on my part. At least I got my flu shot.

    I'm in the same boat.
  • Gapeach83 said:

    dalzien said:

    Our midwife recommended it, but when I told her I had one done about 2 years ago she said it wasn't necessary as long as we were going through the regular vaccination schedule (we are). 

    CDC recommends every pregnancy. No matter how long it's been since your last shot. As PP has said it's more so the baby can get some of it. They will be 2 months before they can get a shot. I had mine less than 2 years with a DD2 and got it again this time along with flu shot.
    Exactly. I had tdap a year ago, still got it @ 35 weeks

    Pontot31MRSJESSICAX
  • I was not up to date with that vaccine anyway, so it was a good time to get it. My arm hurt for 3 days afterward, but not too bad.

  • There are a bunch of threads on this it seems.
  • They are wanting people to get it now because there has been a rise in cases. My dr told me I could call the local children's hospital and ask and they would tell me the number of whooping cough cases has gone up 50% in our area in the last year. They even recommend anyone that is going to be around baby to get a booster. So now to go along with these sweet babies being born in the middle of flu season, we get to worry about whooping cough as well.
    BlondeMomma92kestes946
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards