Baby Names

Unique Names? Where to find

I was curious what some of the best websites or methods for looking up more unique names were.
My husband and I have had a handful of girls names we have liked for years, and now of course suddenly when we are pregnant the names have skyrocketed to popularity.
Im trying to be smart about the name choices I make, and while i definitely dont want to name them something absurd and hard to spell, I would also prefer to stay out of the top 100 or so.

I went through all the names on Babble and found they had a lot of really interesting names but not a ton of them.
Im on Nameberry now but the 17 different spellings for every name is driving me insane.

Re: Unique Names? Where to find

• I didnt realize that social security actually had a site, thats great. I keep finding names on Nameberry are like for example 38th there, but then it lists them as 457th for 2014. So i am wondering if the name berry raking is just like....how many people click the name. Going through that was a bit helpful. 

I wonder when it updates to show 2015, hopefully really soon after it hits 2016!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didnt realize that social security actually had a site, thats great. I keep finding names on Nameberry are like for example 38th there, but then it lists them as 457th for 2014. So i am wondering if the name berry raking is just like....how many people click the name. Going through that was a bit helpful. 

I wonder when it updates to show 2015, hopefully really soon after it hits 2016!

The new list comes out in May every year around mothers day

• Damn, Baby is due in June. I hope the names dont change drastically by then lol. 
  • Social security has baby names lists by state. Nameberry and Baby Name Wizard are good as well. I like Nameberry a lot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do you know what the Nameberry ranking system is based off it?

Wondering the same thing myself!
    I think it's based only off their users, so it's name geeks and then people searching for "unique" names so you can't compare their list against the actual social security list.
  • So basically thier ranking system means just about nothing? and i can pretty much disregard it?
  • If you are on nameberry, search for their 100 classic girl names outside the top 1000. That's pretty much the best list on that site.
  • Got it! Looking through it now. Pasting encase others have interest.
  • I believe the Nameberry rank is how many people have it on their lists on namberry - so basically popularity within the site. I feel like it is somewhat misleading because a lot of people can like a name, but never actually use it!

• We looked at "top names" lists from way back, like 1928, to get some less common ideas. 
  • Yeah i think thats totally misleading. The majority of people only have 1 baby at a time and usually have a lot more than 1 name on a list. So I agree, misleading.

I was looking into the 1800s but was finding a lot of the names i liked were becoming popular again. Maybe the key IS to go where you went to the earlier 1900s so we are ahead of the trend of them coming back in 10 years from now lol

• Nameberry and Nymbler are my favorite sites. Nymbler will give you other suggestions based on names you like.