September 2015 Moms

Can't wait for 8 weeks to be here!

Anyone like me and hasn't taken baby 'out out' because they haven't had their vaccines yet? DD just turned 6 weeks yesterday and other than bringing her to pediatrician or keeping her in car with me while DH does quick errands we have followed our peds advice to avoid large crowds and people other than close family and friends for risk of getting sick. Our peds stressed if she were to get sick with a fever before the 8 weeks it's an automatic hospitalization and work up. A risk we didn't want to take. Loving our daily walks in the neighborhood - she loves the Ergo carrier! - but looking forward to going out out with her soon!! I still haven't used my stroller yet, just the infant carrier.

Re: Can't wait for 8 weeks to be here!

• Yes yes yes!! I have struggled with this and so has her big brother! I'm a single mum and my only outings are to drop her brother off to day care twice a week and quick grocerie shops! I can't wait to join mothers groups and make friends and to be able to take my son places so he doesn't get cabin fever any more!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow! I have never heard of this and don't think I could ever do that. I've gone everywhere with my little girl and she's been fine. You have great self control! I think I'd go stir crazy. Hope the next two weeks fly bye for you!!
  • Wow! I have never heard of this and don't think I could ever do that. I've gone everywhere with my little girl and she's been fine. You have great self control! I think I'd go stir crazy. Hope the next two weeks fly bye for you!!

Same here. I've never heard of this.
  • I have never heard of this either. I was always told that baby was protected through me before vaccinations. With three older kids I have no choice but to take LO everywhere!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take low everywhere. I think I was much more careful with my first, but this time I do everything with lo.

• I take baby everywhere, but I wear her and don't let random people touch her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doc also said to wait at least 8 weeks but mostly because we had our babes at the beginning of cold and flu season and they don't have much immunity until then. Not sure about you guys, but people here in Indiana are already super sick. I have had to turn many visitors away because they or a family member was already sick. I imagine my man will not go out to busy places til the spring, especially since our winters here suck. A) in a paranoid FTM, and B) daddy can run our errands or watch my LO while I do. But I am def worried about heading back to work and catching something inadvertently and bringing it home. I work at a huge company and its like a damn Petrie dish up in there.
  • I've never heard of this either. We take DS everywhere with us and he's fine. We've been taking him out since 2 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took my baby out at 4 days. She goes everywhere with me. I know my mum said that years ago doctors used to say don't take baby out for the first few weeks. She loves going out lol x
  • My baby spent a few days in the nicu and they told me to wait a couple weeks before taking her places with large crowds. I took her to my work and to an appointment a few days after we were home from the hospital. Took her out to eat at 1.5 weeks, and to the mall at 2 weeks. I just didn't let anyone touch her and made sure to wash my hands. It's just not practical to stay in for longer than a week. And on top of needing to go places, I also get stir crazy and want to go shopping or out to eat. I can't keep her in a bubble, but I can be safe about touching and hand washing
  • Yea she's been shopping and restaurants, mops.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

• As soon as I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks we've been on the move! LO has been to the zoo (twice), a bunch of playgrounds, the children's museum, farmers market, story hour...you name it! Can't sit in the house all day with a toddler. I did the same with DS1 and he's always been extremely adaptable and flexible with going places. No one has ever tried to touch the baby and if someone is sick, we stay away. I'd be going crazy if I stayed in for two months!
  • My doctor said this, too! I was very careful for 4 weeks, but since then he goes everywhere with me! DH works a very demanding job, long hours, and on call a lot. Baby and I go everywhere! That staying at home thing is not practical for our lives.
  • I could never do this, I would definitely go stir crazy shut away in the house with a baby and a toddler.  We started going out 3 or 4 days PP and haven't looked back since. Restaurants, play places, stores etc. DH works a lot and we need groceries so...
  • Never heard of this, our baby goes everywhere with us. I mean obviously we're not letting strangers get in her face and have ppl wash their hands but I'd go crazy cooped up! A small amount of exposure to germs helps build some immunity I think (my personal opinion) My friends who shelter their kids are the ones who always have sick kids!
  • Wow I would go nuts not leaving the house that long; we took lo out at 3 days and we've gone everywhere since then. The mall, stores nearby, resteraunts, doctor appointments (for me which are at a hospital) and grocery stores.
  • I don't really have a choice - DD s 2.5. Have you ever tried to keep a toddler home every day? :(
  • FTM here. We are waiting until her two month vaccines on Nov 11. I am slowly losing my mind! In our area there's large outbreaks of pertussis. Plus a ton of anti-vaxxers.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I take him everywhere with me too. I was not advised told to shelter him like that from the world. I use my stroller all the time and random people don't try and touch the baby so I don't worry too much
  • That sounds kind of paranoid to me. It's not like they're safe after the first round of shots anyway.
  • MiromiM said:

FTM here. We are waiting until her two month vaccines on Nov 11. I am slowly losing my mind! In our area there's large outbreaks of pertussis. Plus a ton of anti-vaxxers.

I've had DD2 out every day since we came home from the hospital. With a 4yo DD1, it wouldn't be practical to stay home. However, if there was an outbreak of whooping cough in my area, I would gladly take the advice to stay home and just suffer through the cabin fever. That stuff is no joke.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Me: 28, DH: 33
    Conceived DD in <1yr w/o assistance
    TTC#2 since 11/2013
    DX: PCOS
    Benched pending conf of Rubella immunity
    Next Cycle: CLOMID round 1

• FTM here. We are waiting until her two month vaccines on Nov 11. I am slowly losing my mind! In our area there's large outbreaks of pertussis. Plus a ton of anti-vaxxers.
    I've had DD2 out every day since we came home from the hospital. With a 4yo DD1, it wouldn't be practical to stay home. However, if there was an outbreak of whooping cough in my area, I would gladly take the advice to stay home and just suffer through the cabin fever. That stuff is no joke.
    Yep. Staying home was highly suggested by our pediatrician and DH is in agreement. But yes, it's true it takes many inoculations over months for baby to build up her immunity.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @imsoexcited915 yes, our pedi recommends staying home for 8 weeks as well. I would much rather be stir crazy for a short time than have a sick baby. Seeing all of the babies on this board who already have colds and such makes me sad. This is our third kid and we've done this each time and survived. You will too! Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't have made it. My little guy is 6 weeks old and we have already went to Kansas and Montana (we live in South Dakota) plus countless trips to Pierre which is an hour away, the homecoming parade, volleyball games, grocery store....
  • If u actual think what they are being vaccinated against it isnt really things that people commonly have in large crowds. It is things like polio which arent really that common
  • emzrankin said:
    If u actual think what they are being vaccinated against it isnt really things that people commonly have in large crowds. It is things like polio which arent really that common
    This! They don't get vaccinated for colds. 
  • We haven't worried. We've behaved normally and yes, I have had strangers scold me for having my baby out of the house, and for having MYSELF out of bed. (Give me a break, strangers at the grocery store.)
    Meanwhile the only sick person I'm aware of has been DH who just got over the man flu! You can't protect them, without running off to never land. We just pray, and breastfeed and live life. With a kindergartener and a husband who manages a busy store, there's no other attitude I could have and stay sane.
  • I too was advised to stay indoors til flu season is over. DS is considered a preemie and was in NICU for a week.
    We get a bad case of RSV here, DD got it in February and spent a week in the hospital due to it. Therefore DS stays at grandma's when we go out grocery shopping, errands and school functions.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Flu seasons barely started. Are you really going to keep him in until he's 6 months old??!?!
  • @JessicaS0914 I will inquire on Thursday for his 1 month check up. With DD we didn't have restrictions but then again she was considered a preemie.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker