December 2015 Moms

To those who have already had their baby showers ...

VesperLoveVesperLove member
edited October 2015 in December 2015 Moms
Did people provide gift receipts with your gifts? Is that customary at baby showers? Or do people just assume you need what you got them and not include a receipt (even if the stuff isn't from a registry)?

This curiosity was prompted because my best friend just had a shower two weekends ago for a second child. She had a small registry and she prepared herself for no gifts (since it was her second) but instead she was bombarded with gifts -- just nothing from her registry ... ALL (literally) clothes. She was super thankful to get anything but they were already set on clothes so she ended up exchanging nearly all of it for things on the registry ... but because there weren't receipts she got "lowest marked price." Not that big of a deal but that's why receipts can be handy. 

Just wondering what commonly happens with baby shower gifts. I tried to remember if I ever included a receipt and I don't think I ever do but I always buy off registry so the purchases are logged and the registry can be used as the receipt instead. 

Re: To those who have already had their baby showers ...

• I only got a few gift receipts. Of the 30 people who bought me gifts, I think I got 3. I wouldn't count on getting receipts and just had to guess at where some of the stuff came from. I had a few doubles of clothes, so I took those back where I could and a 3-in-1 excersaucer that wasn't quite what I had in mind.
  • Nobody did with mine though I wish they had! A few of the same outfits and some stuff that I am never going to use. I am going to try and exchange without a receipt but I am sure I won't be able to as they weren't on my registry either. I will be remembering this when I attend future baby showers!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I got some gift receipts but not everyone included one. I try and always include a receipt in case there are doubles but I'm not sure if everyone thinks about it.
  • Nope. I had two baby showers and received a TONY of clothes and next to no gift receipts. Of course, I'm also grateful for the gifts at all but at the same time, really could use the stuff that was on our registry!! I did get several of the larger items, which was wonderful but I did find that the majority of people who bought things not on the registry did not include gift receipts for some reason....and a lot of them had the tags cut off!! Oh well - now our babies have even more beautiful clothes to look adorable in. ;)

Me (38) & DH (48).  Married since 5/5/13, TTC since then!

MFI - low counts, low motility

IUI #1:  6/28/14

• I received zero receipts at my "shower" but I also didn't have a traditional baby shower. Some of the stuff we got to is completely unusable too for example: we got winter clothing when it's going to be the dead of summer.
  • laura6006 said:
    I only got a few gift receipts. Of the 30 people who bought me gifts, I think I got 3. I wouldn't count on getting receipts and just had to guess at where some of the stuff came from. I had a few doubles of clothes, so I took those back where I could and a 3-in-1 excersaucer that wasn't quite what I had in mind.
    That's one of the things I'm worried about -- not knowing where things came from!

We have been so lucky to be given so many hand-me-down clothes that we really and truly do not need a single additional piece. But, I know that's what people usually get ... so I KNOW I'll be taking back a bunch of clothes for other things on our registry or just other things we figure out we need. I'm just hoping the process isn't too tedious ... and I hate the idea of someone spending money and then some of it going to waste because I'm exchanging at a lower price because of no receipt :( I'll always be including a receipt from here on out!
  • I received a couple of receipts, but now that you mention it. None of the receipts I have were given with gifts that consisted of clothes.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• One person provided receipts at mine. A lot of stuff had packaging and tags taken off so I had to keep it even though I'd have liked to exchange it. I exchanged two items because I got doubles and did so without receipts and just guessing where they came from.
  • redfallonredfallon member
    edited October 2015
    I didn't have a baby shower this time around, but with DD, I don't remember if I got any gift receipts. I got a few clothes that were NMS at all (bunch of inappropriate sayings on onesies) and guessed where they were from based on who gave them to me.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I am in a similar boat. Did you guys just load everything up to one particular store, take it in and say "I got these at a shower and am wondering if I can return them?" or what? I feel like that is awkward, but yeah, I think 75% of the gifts I opened included a blanket or set of 4 flannel blankets. We def don't need 25 blankets for this baby, but could certainly use another crib mattress pad and some diaper genie refills.

I am terribly practical, so the thought of not giving a gift receipt with a gift drives me batty! I feel a little guilty about returning things, but at the same time, wouldn't they want the hard-earned money they spent on us to go to something we will use, not something that will be in the back of the closet and never looked at again? I know I would!
  • LaceyH13 said:
    I am in a similar boat. Did you guys just load everything up to one particular store, take it in and say "I got these at a shower and am wondering if I can return them?" or what? I feel like that is awkward, but yeah, I think 75% of the gifts I opened included a blanket or set of 4 flannel blankets. We def don't need 25 blankets for this baby, but could certainly use another crib mattress pad and some diaper genie refills.

I am terribly practical, so the thought of not giving a gift receipt with a gift drives me batty! I feel a little guilty about returning things, but at the same time, wouldn't they want the hard-earned money they spent on us to go to something we will use, not something that will be in the back of the closet and never looked at again? I know I would!
    That's exactly why I have no qualms about returning/exchanging anything. They have to know that's a possibility if they choose not to shop via the registry and I'm sure they want their money going toward something that will actually get used. I'll be super grateful for anything I get but I'll also be quick to take it back and exchange it for what I need as a FTM.
  • I haven't had one yet, but as a gift giver, I provide gift receipts. I believe it is rude not to. But that's my personal opinion.
  • I think this might be another "Whatever flies in your social group" rule. I haven't had my shower yet but I have received gifts from friends that will not be there and only one had a receipt. I would feel awful taking back someone's gift so I could get whatever I wanted from the store. It was a gift from a loved one.
  • I didn't get any gift receipts and many items were not in my registry. I did have a few people ask me what I wanted or needed before my shower. I guess I should have told them to look at my registry but I thought that was pretty obvious.
    I took a pile of gifts that I didn't need or were repeats to Target and got a gift card which I used to buy my crib. The clothes I kept and will donate whatever I can't use. I still have a few rogue items that I guess I'll keep since I can't figure out where they came from.
    It's funny though, reminded me of when I got married and I got a few very random gifts. I'm with @BostonBaby1 when in doubt, just give money!
  • @kristen2b I would and will absolutely keep everything. But that is just me and my opinion. I see the benefits of gift receipts and taking back duplicates but I plan to keep everything.
  • Some included gift recipts. If it's purchased off your registry, you won't have a problem. Also, even if it's not, stores don't give you an issue. We had to take a ton of stuff back that was not on registry and didn't have recipts for. Just tell customer service it was a gift and they'll at least give you store credit.
  • No gift receipts for me either. Don't know why -- In additional to clothes, I got a bouncer that wasn't the one on my registry and I have no idea where it came from.
  • I got a gift receipt with pretty much every gift. I registered at Target and Babies R Us, both places don't require a receipt for returns. I would look at tags and try to figure out where the gifts came from. Most places don't require a receipt if the tags are still on.
  • I had my shower this past Saturday is was a surprise and it was wonderful. The strange thing is that only a few items were from my registry but of them they were all the same I got 4 sets of crib sheets I registered for one and I got two of the same blankets I registered for but none of them scanned my registry I don't know it they didn't realize or what but after I received them I looked at my registry and it said 0 had been fulfilled. All of it came from target so I think I will be ok exchanging.
  • I must be the odd ball out. Had my shower yesterday and I would say 90% of my gifts had gift receipts with them, even the stuff that was from my registry. Personally I always give gift receipts.
  • arz1215arz1215 member
    edited October 2015
    I had my shower a couple weeks ago and also received items not from our registry and without gift receipts.. I don't understand why people wouldn't give a gift receipt! I know Carters will take back anything their brand without a receipt. I took 4 outfits back there and exchanged without a problem. If you registered at target you can take back items there, generally without a problem (I took back diapers and other brand items they sell) and just logged onto my registry. Target gave instore credit for all items returned. Walmart sells child of mine by carters and they also took back without a receipt and provided instore credit.. It is slightly awkward going into a store and saying I received these items at my baby shower and didn't receive a gift receipt, but I'm glad I did that rather than keeping numerous items we wouldn't use.

*edited for typo
  • @LaceyH13 said:
    I am in a similar boat. Did you guys just load everything up to one particular store, take it in and say "I got these at a shower and am wondering if I can return them?" or what? I feel like that is awkward, but yeah, I think 75% of the gifts I opened included a blanket or set of 4 flannel blankets. We def don't need 25 blankets for this baby, but could certainly use another crib mattress pad and some diaper genie refills.

That is exactly what I did. I went to Wal-mart and I went to Target. Wal-mart was the more likely as that is the closest store to most of my family that attended.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had my shower yesterday, no gift receipts..all size NB clothes. If I don't use them I'll bring them over to once upon a child. Target limits returns so I don't want to waste it on clothes
  • It's funny that you posted this because I was literally just sitting here going through all the clothes I got at my shower organizing and taking tags off for wash and what I'm going to be returning. I got zero gift receipts and 95% clothes...apparently people just really love giving clothes! Oh and blankets, so many baby blankets. There were 3 different people that got me the exact same onsie set in the exact same size, I figured out where they were from and returned 2 at the discounted price :/
    I also got SOO many 3 month size, so I was going through some of that to see what I could exchange of those sizes for the stuff like towels and burp clothes and diaper bag and all those little necessities that were on my REGISTRY!! Haha no but I really am so grateful for all that people have given us but from here on out I really will buy off people's registries for baby showers instead of buying clothes because that really IS what is needed.
  • I think the only situation where I would keep a duplicate clothing item would be if:

1) It was really cute AND
    2) They were different sizes (like a 0-3 month and a 3-6 month). 

Then that just means they could look cute longer :) 

But if those two criteria aren't met, there is absolutely no reason I can think of when I would keep two of the exact same thing. And I don't think anyone sitting at a shower that sees you open two of the same gift really expects you to keep both. They likely immediately think to themselves (oh, she can just return one, no problem). At least that's what I would think.
  • I got gift receipts for a few things, but mostly just things that were not on the registry. I guess people figured that if I registered for it, I wanted it. Haha.

Wedding shower, I got 3 crock pots because it wasn't showing as "purchased" on my registry. Even without the receipts, Target took them back, they just gave me the refund on a gift card. I shop there often enough that it was fine. :)
  • I can't imagine keeping everything just because a loved one gave it to me, it's a nice thought in theory but entirely impractical. The only thing I have left from my daughter 10 years ago is a large pile of blankets, add on to that the huge pile of afghans I have from ME as a baby, you can bet blankets will get returned. I can't possibly use what I have let alone more. We bought a LOT of clothes ourselves because we aren't really anticipating receiving many gifts, and I imagine I will get duplicates and things to return. NB size is adorable to buy but impractical to keep, most babies can't wear it for very long. We have 10 NB outfits and I am afraid my kiddo will be born over 8 lbs so those will go back.

I can see a FTM not realizing the value of space and having useable items, but you overcome that realization fast. No one wants to do laundry 15 times a day just so your kid can wear everything you were bought...... I mean I guess if that's your thing then go ahead change the outfit every 20 minutes to make sure you get through them all, otherwise pretty impractical.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • I think people do clothes cause they are cheap when on sale... hence no receipts. We shall see what happens in two weeks
  • I have stopped myself from buying any clothes aside from what I want him to wear in the hospital. I know that's the first thing people will buy. So I'm saving all of my money for neccessities.
  • No gift receipts from the individuals at my shower and most of the gifts were not from my registry. I got a lot of homemade things, so probably can't return those. :)
  • I got tons of stuff but nothing on my registry. Im very grateful but i was looking forward to getting atleast a few bottles or the bathtub i wanted.
  • I got a few gift receipts for gear presents but no receipts for clothes. We did get a couple duplicates on the gear, but those things came from the registry, so I can return them. I've also heard that many stores allow you to add things to your registry (that you've gotten at the shower) and mark them received so then you can return basically anything the store sells. Is this right? Is it even a necessary step?
  • I only got a handful of reciipets and hardly Anything off my registy. I need to go buy diaper genie refills and sheets and all the pratical stuff. Im very grateful but stressed now i have TONS of clothes and nothing for the everyday like diapers!