May 2016 Moms

Any Runners in the group?

I started running last spring and did my first half marathon last fall.  I'm signed up for a half on Saturday (yes in two days) and I'm 8w3d right now.  I've struggled to get in my long runs thanks to the heat and nausea.  This is my third pregnancy but I wasn't active with the others.  I do intend to stay active but I'm curious how my fellow expecting runners are doing at this stage of the game.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Any Runners in the group?

• I enjoy running.  I typically run about 25 miles a week, however, the last couple weeks have been BAD.  I need to just make myself get out there and I'm sure I'll feel a lot better once I get going.  I'm just so tired after work lately.  Good luck on the half!  That's awesome.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• I've reduced my running a lot. Initially, because I saw my heart rate got up to 180 on the last half mile of a run a couple of weeks ago and it freaked me out. The doctor said that if I was doing it before, I can keep doing it, but it just isn't worth the worry. Now, I don't really have a choice. I get winded pretty easily, so I've gone to intervals with running, and if I'm not feeling it, I don't force it. I don't feel like I get as good of a workout anymore, but it is what it is.

I would caution though that if you are struggling to get in your long runs due to heat and sickness, it may not be smart to run a half marathon. You should be in good health and properly trained. Struggling through a 10K is one thing, but pushing 13.1 when you say you haven't been able to do your long runs lately may be a red flag. At the end of the day, just listen to your body. If you go on Saturday and you're struggling, just walk. I think runners are attracted to running because we like to push and challenge ourselves, and now is not really the time to do that, ya know?
  • Loading the player...
  • PS - I don't think I could make it through a half marathon even if I could run right now. I'd have to pee at least once. Probably twice. :)
  • I'm a runner, but I've definitely been slacking lately. Nausea has certainly not been my friend. Not currently signed up for anything but DH and I do have a few 5/10k's planned in the next few months or so. I usually run a marathon every January, but I skipped out on signing up this year bc we were TTC. Depending on how things go I may go I may try for a half in December.
  • I'm a jogger - I usually do just a few miles at a time or around 30 mins, but I've had adjust down.  My lungs and stamina have tanked the past two weeks.  So now I'm running 5, walking 2, running 3, walking 2, running 3, etc. etc. until the end.  If someone told me I had to run 13.1, first I'd tell them to go buy me some Depends for the race since I can't go more than 45 minutes without peeing, and then I'd tell them to alert the staff that it might be several hours after the start before they see me cross the finish line.  :)
  • Oh I appreciate your concern.  I made it through a 10 miler last weekend so I think I'll be able to do it.  I've already been telling myself that this isn't for a PR.  I know that walking won't be the end of the world and luckily the forecast is for 65 degrees at race time.  I just knew exactly what to expect with my first half because I followed my training plan religiously.  That has not worked out this time but I'm excited to give it a go.  Just crossing my fingers that I can skip the morning sickness on Saturday! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been running around 45kms a week and have stopped as the obstetrician said that internal body temperature rising can cause issues. My long runs are around 20km and coming into summer here it's just not worth it. To be honest I'm really struggling with this as I have been training for a half marathon and another run after. Took 5 years to get pregnant (I have 2 older children) and I feel so guilty saying I'm angry that I can't run but in the end I'd still rather have a baby. I'm already looking at running strollers. Any suggestions??? Can't wait to run again.
  • Sorry to bring back an older thread, but how are people doing with exercising? I can't tell if I suddenly became out of shape since I got pregnant or if it's just that pregnancy is making me feel tired and slow. I luckily don't have morning sickness so I'm still trying to exercise, but I don't feel like myself! Does anyone get headaches after they run? I've been drinking a ton of water so it shouldn't be from dehydration. 7w6d today.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• I used to run 5Ks pretty regularly, but I just can't do it anymore. I run a slooooowwww mile now just a couple of times a week and that's all I can do, but I'm going to keep doing that as long as I can.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm a moderate runner. Had to get a treadmill as I live in the tropics and the humid season has started now. It gets extremely hot and as we all now we shouldn't overheat too much. 

My performance has dropped massively!!!! I could run 5 ks in 30 minutes easily, and that is not happening anymore. 

However, it is the only thing that helps me with the fatigue and exhaustion. If I drag myself up to go for a run and a few stretches / excercises, I get some energy, while otherwise i would just stay on the couch, wiped out, like always  :-)

I hope to keep it up as long as i can, even if I run slower or have to take walk breaks in between. 

• I'm a slow jogger, I just got started up again a few months ago but I have a 5k in 2 weeks :) I haven't run at all in a couple weeks because of the nausea but I'm going to try and get at least one or two runs in this week. My best friend is 21w pregnant and just ran a half. She made sure she knew where the portable toilets were and stopped to pee every chance ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think as long as you still feel fine, it's all good. There probably won't be any speed or distance records, but who cares. 
    @Unicorn522 : I sometimes feel like it actually helps with my nausea. However, I am not throwing up, just nauseous...  
    If I have a mini snack or a piece of banana before I go and if i take it slow, I feel better afterwards than before. 

At some point it might be wise to invest in a supportive belly band. If anyone knows which one to get, let us know!! 

• mumbolino said:

I think as long as you still feel fine, it's all good. There probably won't be any speed or distance records, but who cares. 

@Unicorn522 : I sometimes feel like it actually helps with my nausea. However, I am not throwing up, just nauseous...  
    If I have a mini snack or a piece of banana before I go and if i take it slow, I feel better afterwards than before. 

At some point it might be wise to invest in a supportive belly band. If anyone knows which one to get, let us know!! 

I've heard that it makes you feel better. I'm skeptical myself but I really do need to get back on the bandwagon. I'll let you know how it goes!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been building up my pace from jogging to running over the past 1 1/2 years and am currently training for my first 10K next month. Unfortunately, my doctor said that my heart rate has to stay under 140, so my pace has had to slow considerably. I'm debating whether it'll be faster to walk or jog it at this point. :(
  • I don't monitor my heart rate when I walk or run ( do I have to????) but as long as I feel ok, not too puffed and not too hot it should be ok. Got a treadmill as I live in the tropics and we're coming into our very hot season. Running outdoors is too hot for me right now so I do it indoors . Still go for walks outdoors though. My pace has slowed down a LOT!

• I just ran a 10k around 6 weeks and PR'd; half marathon at 8weeks and I got a great time on that. The rule I'm following is to keep my level of exercise as stable as possible. Definitely no increases in intensity and perhaps even lower intensity, but definitely keeping up with exercise. It was hard for 2 weeks when I was constantly nauseated and heaving (TMI?) And I had to run walk during some of those runs, but the nausea and the urge to pee seemed to get better, not worse, on days I ran. Two more races planned for the fall, no plans to run my fastest, and I refrained from signing up for my first marathon, but I'll definitely push on those other runs, because it really feels like my body appreciates it. Anyone see the professional runner who competed around 6 mo pregnant in the 800 meters?

Whenever people talk about not working out, or taking it easy, it just sounds to me like the same 19th century paternalism that historically prohibited women from running races.

For the record: I always run slow and steady, never overheat, dehydrate, or fully exhaust myself. Those three things seem dangerous for anyone, pregnant or not...
  • I haven't been running much lately, but I am coaching a grade school cross-country team. I get winded easily, and some days my pelvis/hips are really achey, so I just hope that a fast parent volunteer shows up to lead the pack and I can bring up the rear with the slow kids. I'm hoping to start running more soon, but also not sure what my capabilities will be in terms of building up mileage while I'm pregnant (8w3d at the moment).

Most of my challenge is just finding time outside of work when I don't feel like all I can do is sleep. I go to a yoga or barre class first thing in the morning when I'm fresh, but after work the chances of me having energy to run are almost nil, so chasing the kids is probably the best I'm gonna do for a while.